Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Help With Noise When Pressing/Depressing Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Noise When Pressing/Depressing Clutch

alright i just went out for a ride and when i came back and was putting my car in the garage i noticed a strange noise when i let out the clutch with the car not in gear. the noise sounded something like a strong air flow. although when i pressed the clutch back in it went a way. i havent noticed anything wrong with the performance of the car at all and im trying to figure out if this is some kind of warning sign of some sort. thanks for your help in advance guys.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Help With Noise When Pressing/Depressing Clutch (StreetOne)

does it sound like something spinning loosely? if so i think i may have the same problem.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Help With Noise When Pressing/Depressing Clutch (InTeGrA_bLazEd)

throwout bearing
Old 08-25-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Help With Noise When Pressing/Depressing Clutch (blueeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throwout bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-25-2004, 10:31 PM

does the noise occur rhythmicly?
if it is then it's probably the input shaft bearing. It's located inside the transmission. It's the common bearing that goes out.

input shaft bearing - noise if the clutch pedal is depress.
throwout bearing - noise if the clutch pedal is not depress.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Humping_dragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Humping_dragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the noise occur rhythmicly?
if it is then it's probably the input shaft bearing. It's located inside the transmission. It's the common bearing that goes out.

throwout bearing - noise if the clutch pedal is not depress.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-26-2004, 02:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Humping_dragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the noise occur rhythmicly?

throwout bearing - noise if the clutch pedal is not depress.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Isnt it the other way around?
The throwout bearing is only in use when you press down on the clutch pedal.

So, If the noise happens when you press the clutch pedal down, that means its the throwout bearing.

But, If the noise happens when the clutch pedal IS NOT pushed down its the input shaft bearing.

Anyways, sounds like its your input shaft bearing. When that went out on my CRX, when i took my foot off the clutch pedal with the tranny in neutral it would make a sort of whirring sound, but when i pressed down on the clutch pedal it went away.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Help With Noise When Pressing/Depressing Clutch (StreetOne)

Most definitely throw out bearing. It's real cheap but u have to get the tranny out to change it.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:09 AM

Default Re: (ThE bEe GuY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThE bEe GuY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Anyways, sounds like its your input shaft bearing. When that went out on my CRX, when i took my foot off the clutch pedal with the tranny in neutral it would make a sort of whirring sound, but when i pressed down on the clutch pedal it went away.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That could be either the input shaft bearing or the release bearing.
It's easy to tell what the prob is, once you have the tranny off.

I STRONGLY suggest you replace the throwout bearing AND the release bearing while you have the tranny off. The actual parts are really cheap. Buy OEM.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (simon98h22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simon98h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I STRONGLY suggest you replace the throwout bearing AND the release bearing while you have the tranny off.</TD></TR></TABLE>The throw-out bearing IS the release bearing. Same thing. The other one you want to replace is called the pilot bearing.

Try this...

Engine idling, tranny in neutral, clutch engaged (that means NOT pressing down the pedal). (Since it makes the noise now, it can't be the pilot bearing. It's not spinning now.)

Begin pressing down the clutch pedal. If the noise goes away in the first bit of pedal travel, it's probably the throw-out bearing. They commonly make noise when they're spinning but NOT loaded. When you disengage the clutch (by pressing down the pedal) you apply a load on this spinning bearing.

Or... suddenly & quickly press the pedal all the way down. A noisy throw-out bearing should get quiet instantly. A noisy tranny shaft bearing will take a second or 2 before it coasts to a stop.

So what?? Sure you can tell which, after taking the transmission out. But if it's a tranny shaft bearing, you might want to be prepared to replace or rebuild the tranny.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The throw-out bearing IS the release bearing. Same thing. The other one you want to replace is called the pilot bearing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damnit, I need to proofread ... that or I need another coffee

Thanks for the correction Jim, it's what I wanted to type, apparently my hands had other plans

Si
Old 08-27-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Re: (ThE bEe GuY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThE bEe GuY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isnt it the other way around?
The throwout bearing is only in use when you press down on the clutch pedal.

So, If the noise happens when you press the clutch pedal down, that means its the throwout bearing.

But, If the noise happens when the clutch pedal IS NOT pushed down its the input shaft bearing.

Anyways, sounds like its your input shaft bearing. When that went out on my CRX, when i took my foot off the clutch pedal with the tranny in neutral it would make a sort of whirring sound, but when i pressed down on the clutch pedal it went away.</TD></TR></TABLE>

uh oh i got it backward.
listen to the bee guy.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Humping_dragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh oh i got it backward.
listen to the bee guy.</TD></TR></TABLE>Only sorta...

When you're NOT pressing down the clutch pedal, the throw-out bearing is very lightly resting against the pressure plate & it's spinning. The bearing can get loose & rattle, it makes kind of a metal rolling noise. When you press on the clutch pedal, you put some load on the bearing, that holds it together tighter & it quiets down.

A noise that ONLY happens when you disengage the clutch (press down on the pedal), might also be the pilot bearing.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well...i guess we'll find out soon enough who was right...and what the problem was...took it in for inspection today and when i went to pick it up...the damn thing wouldnt leave reverse and it was really hard to shift if it even shifted at all
Old 08-31-2004, 04:32 PM
I didn't ask for a dime.

Default Re: (StreetOne)

Would either (input shaft / release bearing) produce squeaking noise that can be heard and felt with your foot once you release the clutch?

Old 09-02-2004, 04:54 AM

im having the same problem, happens when i shift into 2nd gear from 1st or 3rd, i get this grinding sorta sound when iam releasing the clutch, what would this be?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:20 PM

anyone??
Old 09-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

slight update...it seems that with 146k miles on it...the stock clutch finally went...but from what we can tell it broke, havent gotten to take the tranny of yet, thats in the next couple of days here and i got an Exedy Stage 1 Organic Race clutch on its way...hopefully thats all i need...
Old 09-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only sorta...

When you're NOT pressing down the clutch pedal, the throw-out bearing is very lightly resting against the pressure plate & it's spinning. The bearing can get loose & rattle, it makes kind of a metal rolling noise. When you press on the clutch pedal, you put some load on the bearing, that holds it together tighter & it quiets down.

A noise that ONLY happens when you disengage the clutch (press down on the pedal), might also be the pilot bearing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, sounds just like my car right now. so what's the cure? new throw out bearing???
Old 09-07-2004, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... so what's the cure? new throw out bearing???</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes.