Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

gsr build. help a noobie out

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr build. help a noobie out

This is my first time doing up a build up and i just wanted some feedback. Not doing anything to crazy but i just wanted some opinions or any corrections to what i have planned.

ctr cams
itr valvetrain
itr exhaust/intake valves (probably wont make a difference but might as well as i got it with the itr valvetrain for free)
aem v2 cold air intake
skunk2 pro intake manifold
jdm itr 4-1 header
magnaflow highflow cat
apexi ws2 catback

Would adding itr pistons make a big difference? And what numbers would i be producing around? i dont expect much as this is my first build and its nothing crazy becuase its my daily driver.

If theres anything else i need to know im open to all advice
Old 05-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Re: gsr build. help a noobie out (type-GGSR)

save your money on the aem v2, other intakes made more power and cost less
Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gsr build. help a noobie out (danjensen)

dont forget to add in some tuning to your budget. Cant really suggest anything myself right now since Im new to hondas also but I know that tuning is a very important part when you do upgrades
Old 05-20-2008, 06:44 AM

Are you planning on doing the work yourself?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't really need the R valvetrain and valves, but it wouldn't hurt. it doesn't look like you're messing with the bottom end. personally, i'd rather work on your bottom end and bump compression up with p30 pr p73 pistons rather than working on the head. as far as the intake goes, the v2 is fine, but i'd rather go with the "bsq icetake" or a velocity stack with k&N ru-1048 filter "on a stick" (short ram)... both of which are cheaper options and perform the same - if not better... anything to save some money to put towards tuning equipment and tuning - which add up! good solid choices on everything else. GL
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gsr build. help a noobie out (danjensen)

nope, ive got a friend whos gonna do the work for me. This is my first time so i just wanna learn instead of messing around with it myself.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jomama)

i was thinking about gettin itr pistons put in but i was trying to stay away from pulling the whole motor out and just pulling out the head. I do have the Injen SRI with the K&N filter and the BPI velocity stack. Reason i want the aem v2 is because its almost summer here and im worried about heatsoak. Would having a thinner head gasket to bump up compression be good for this setup as well or is it not needed?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Re: (type-GGSR)

friends like that are good to have, but being new i would say being present with the build would be very benificial, there is no better way to learn than getting in there and getting your hands dirty, especially when you have someone there like your friend that can kinda guide you through it. as far as the head gasket, if you decided to go with some different pistons then yeah its a good idea, but you wouldn't get all that much out of it if you leave the bottom alone
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (danjensen)

sounds good so far, but as mentioned above I'd HIGHLY suggested tunning and bottom end work. Some oversized JDM ITR pistons along with a S100 or S300 will give you nice power
Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (danjensen)

i will be there when he works on it or i guess u can say "we" work on it. But yea no doubt theres no better way to learn then doing it yourself. If i do happen to get p73 pistons, would it just be better to go with the oem head gasket or something thinner?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: (SuckMyDOHC)

thees might help a little, the thinner head gasket will help, i would say do it all at once and do the p73s and new piston rings never hurt, what kind of computer are you planning on going with? what tranny are you using, are you planning on n/a or turbo later because that will decide the pistons

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...c.php
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/gears/
Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 AM

that is the best way to learn thats how my friends and i learned and now its just another thing to pull and rebuild an engine and drop it back in in a day
Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SuckMyDOHC)

Yea a tune for sure will be happening right after. I am looking into Hondata but getting either the s100 or s300, will there be a big difference between both in getting the most power out of my setup? And over sized pistons . I'm trying to get away from pulling out the block or even touching it and especially bringing it to the machine shop if i don't have to. Wouldn't putting in regular p73 pistons be good enough?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 AM

yes they will im not a big fan of oversizing pistons that little for the money
Old 05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (northemt88)

I'm planning to stay NA just because i don't know that much about going turbo either and i want it to be as reliable because its my DD . Im planning on using an ITR tranny or at least a b16 tranny. As for the computer, i think you are talking about the ECU right? . Well I have researched a bit and going a p28 OBD1 conversion is popular. Ill most likely get hondata but not to sure which one yet. Also, are there any differences between the gsr rods and the type r rods? Ive seen a couple people selling p73 pistons mated with gsr rods. Would that be good?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 AM
I like PIE

my build is similar to yours with a stock bottom end and ctr cams. i too am thinking of getting some p73 pistons and i will tell you what a buddy told me, if you get standard size pistons then you will still have the same amount of miles on the motor but if you go with the oversized pistons and a small bore/hone job then you will have a motor with practically 0 miles, which do you prefer.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I like PIE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by type-GGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is my first time doing up a build up and i just wanted some feedback. Not doing anything to crazy but i just wanted some opinions or any corrections to what i have planned.

ctr cams
itr valvetrain
itr exhaust/intake valves (probably wont make a difference but might as well as i got it with the itr valvetrain for free)
aem v2 cold air intake
skunk2 pro intake manifold
jdm itr 4-1 header
magnaflow highflow cat
apexi ws2 catback

Would adding itr pistons make a big difference? And what numbers would i be producing around? i dont expect much as this is my first build and its nothing crazy becuase its my daily driver.

If theres anything else i need to know im open to all advice</TD></TR></TABLE>
get a hytech replica header instead of the jdm piece and keep the intake setup you have now
Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (polishedturd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polishedturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my build is similar to yours with a stock bottom end and ctr cams. i too am thinking of getting some p73 pistons and i will tell you what a buddy told me, if you get standard size pistons then you will still have the same amount of miles on the motor but if you go with the oversized pistons and a small bore/hone job then you will have a motor with practically 0 miles, which do you prefer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your friend is a moron, what's wrong with just honing the walls if the cylinder walls are not out of round and staying stock bore? If you replace the rings, bearings, gaskets, etc., it doesn't it matter if the bore is stock or overbored, as long as the rings seat that's more important that the size of the bore.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (all-mtr-teg)

yea now i really want a hytech replica header but the problem is i ALREADY have the JDM itr 4-1 header. And i dont wanna lose any money on selling it so i dont know what im going to do just yet. But the intake you are talking about, is it the K&N filter with the stack? Im really scared of heatsoak because its summer here so would it still be good to stick with that? i was also thinking of doing the j's racing airduct and something to connect it to the filter but im not sure either.