Final Drive Ratio: 4.40:1
Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

0-60 times:

GT-S : 6.8s
GS-R : 7.1s

1/4 times:

GT-S : 15.4 @ 91.5mph
GS-R : 15.5 @ 91.2mph

(info from Road & Track, C&D, Car-stats)

Now, 0-60, the GT-S excels by 0.3s. That's about a 1/2 a car length.

1/4 mile, the GT-S and GS-R is only differential by 0.1s. That's 1/2 a car length to a car length.

Now these are AVERAGE numbers of these production cars. Sure there are faster ones, slower ones, and average ones that come out of the factory, but most of them were tested of these numbers.

Evidence shows that these two cars are very close performance wise. So please, if anyone owns a GT-S, don't say Preludes, GS-R's, RSX-S, etc. are slow, and that you can burn them. The CARS are all right there with each other, its the DRIVER that wins or loses the race... (including mods)

sorry. Had to get that off my chest. I was roaming around in the Celica boards, and they were just irritating me...

[Modified by GS-Racer, 5:24 PM 9/21/2001]
Old 09-21-2001, 12:53 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (GS-Racer)

The driver definitely is a very big factor when it comes to those two cars(stock).
Old 09-21-2001, 01:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (Guardson3r3)

Good post.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:04 PM
Trial User

i just test drove a GT-S and an RSX base model........the GTS sucked......the gear box was way too small as was the interior and taking it all the way to redline was not impressive at all...........now the RSX, i was very impressed with.....i didn't test drive the Type S, cuz its my girlfriend that was looking into the car, but it felt like the RSX had more power than the GT-S and equally as powerful as the GS-R......the interior was awesome.....the only thing that sucked was that, it would fall out of VTEC after every gear shift......the sales man said the vtec engages around 6k....not too sure about that, but the TypeS would definately woop a GT-S and GS-R
Old 09-21-2001, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should also post up the final drive ratios, those make a large difference as well! I think the GSR is 4.44, not sure on the GT-S

I think an ITR final drive is 4.75 (JDM) not sure though..
Old 09-21-2001, 02:05 PM

Hahaha, Whats up man. Yea I saw your reply in my post I put up in the celica boards. Non-believer's let me tell ya.
One day I'll race a GTS and put the vid on the site so they can see the celica doesn't dominate.
Peace
Old 09-21-2001, 02:20 PM
New User

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (GSRdriver)

if u think about it...the GT-S is from TRD basically...and its still whack. put it up against the equivalent for integras ie TYPE R, and the gts will get smoked. w/ same mods gsr will hang w/ gts all the way down the strip. on other note the celica looks like a spaceship on crack!
Old 09-21-2001, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (turbo01gsr)

I think the new celicas look pretty darn nice lowered.

Dustin
Old 09-21-2001, 03:03 PM
New User

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (dustin)

I've smoked one the other night with my setup!!! He was also modified, at least i/h/e and it was lowered and had nice rims. beat him by about 3-4 car lengths from 0 to 90 mph.
Old 09-21-2001, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (1fastGSR)

I just added the Final Drive Ratio, and the Compression Ratio. Definately a better choice to go FI in a GS-R than the GT-S. GT-S has very high compression...

but yea. I wanted to post this up so that All those Celi owners can just calm down and rethink, instead of just sayin how their Celi's are the fastest 4 bangers out there... tsk tsk
Old 09-21-2001, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, just for ur info i got smoked bad by my brothers GTS, all stock unbolted exhaust.....smoked me by 3 1/2 cars, 180hp on 2600 lbs i'd say its fast
have been drag racing for a while in my b18c5 eg and new ITR and have seen him beat many tegs non turbo of course!
lates!
Old 09-21-2001, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (hybrid_eg)

I have to admit TRD does make some nice parts for the Celica, fairly cheap too...comparing to Mugen
Old 09-21-2001, 08:23 PM

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (1fastGSR)

Hey whats up everyone. I think this is my first post here. I roam around lots of different forums around the net. I have a gs-r but wanted a gt-s. So i guess you can take my responses as biased but....

First of all 1fastgsr, the celica you raced couldn't have had at LEAST i/h/e because there's no aftermarket header for the celica.

gs-racer, I'm guessing your the same person from newcelica?? well the magazine time you posted was from car and driver but if we look further into more magazines... probably the most respected magazine would be motor trend which got the gt-s to do 15.2 at 93mph, it also out slalomed the type R(69.1 vs 68.2 BUT i think they did better on the 98 type r at like over 70mph) and i think they did the gs-r at 15.5 (not sure). And you could also look at sports compact car (I can't stand that mag but...) they did the gt-s at 14.9.

The fastest n/a celica would probably be icyjaws from newcelica with an i/e and ran a 14.3. The fastest force induction would probably be bryan h from newcelica which ran with a 50 shot of nos and did 13.2 i believe. Then again when i rode in a gt-s right before vvtl-i there was like no power but you could feel the surge in power when it passes 6000, as noted if you look at a gt-s dyno, which is diffinately more powerful more then a gs-r. When i hit vtec on my gs-r i hear it, and feel it pull harder to vtec but don't really feel the kick of vtec, like in preludes and I'm guessing a type r and s2000 but i've never rode in those.

To end this post I know most celica owners know their cars aren't the fastest four-banger. No one's that ignorant and if they are they are just plain stupid, and if a few think that let them. Plus there are lots of WRX owners at the site so they know which fourbanger is rules the streets right now.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:30 PM

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (hybrid_eg)

correction the gt-s is 2500lbs, and that race was a drivers race. No offense but a ITR shouldn't be losing to a gt-s by that much are you stock?

WalkmanX
Yea trd makes decent parts for the celica too bad nothing that will help them go faster. Only an exhaust and thats it.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (TheX-Man)

if you guys think the celica guys are that bad, check out http://www.clubrsx.com
Old 09-21-2001, 09:21 PM
New User

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (In7egrity)

Everyone, I have a 98 GS-R so I know how my car feels. I have test driven many GT-S's and my uncle has a GT-S even though it's automatic. Everyone here knows that stock vs. stock the GT-S will win every time if the drivers are both equal. 180HP in a 2500lb (exact is 2520?) car VS. 170HP in a 2650lb body? I know that GT-S have bad gearing especially for a 6-speed, but overall there is no way that a GS-R stock is quicker. Also, Celica's can stay in the powerband if they shift at the fuel cut which is around 8100-8200 (the redline is 7800). A good comparison with dyno's/gear ratios, etc, is in Sport Compart Car when they had a "Can Celica kick Vtec Butt?" Which obviously the Type-R took top honors, followed by GT-S, then Prelude SH, then GS-R. I know that our cars rock, but I'm not going to lie to myself and say that I can beat a GT-S. Anyways, gosh, after watching some videos, I want a quick car!
Old 09-21-2001, 09:42 PM

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (98 GS-R)

celica gt 5spd: 2425lbs
celica gt auto: 2460lbs
celica gts 6spd: 2500lbs
celica gts auto: 2580lbs
Old 09-21-2001, 09:46 PM
New User

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (turbo01gsr)

if u think about it...the GT-S is from TRD basically...and its still whack. put it up against the equivalent for integras ie TYPE R, and the gts will get smoked. w/ same mods gsr will hang w/ gts all the way down the strip. on other note the celica looks like a spaceship on crack!

I would have to disagree with you on that, the GT-S is new to the market, give it a few years and I am sure that there will be some fast ones
Old 09-21-2001, 09:48 PM
New User

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (dustin)

I think the new celicas look pretty darn nice lowered.

Dustin
I totally agree, I know a guy with a dropped GT-S, it looks dope
Old 09-21-2001, 10:05 PM
New User

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (slowerthanu)

one of my good friends has a gts with intake and exhaust. he has about 13,000 miles on his car. One day when i first bought my car we decided to race. we found a deserted quarter mile strip and went at it. at this time, i only had 3,000 miles on my car, still with the stupid oil that acura gives you. also, keep in mind that at the time of the race, ive only been driving stick for 2 months. when we raced, he beat me by two cars. i let my friend drive my car and my car only lost by one. oh yeah, and at that time i only had exhuast and header. since then i put in intake and suspension and now he wont race me....go figure...
Old 09-21-2001, 10:06 PM

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (slowerthanu)

my good friend with a GT-S with just Injen Cold Air, and AEM Pulleys, hangs with me pretty damn, good it is a good race everytime. Pretty said that he only has two mods, and i have a whole list of them and i barely beat him. But he spanks my *** now, that he runs a 50 shot of NOS. He used to beat me bad before i had my CAI, the CAI on my car, made a huge difference.
Old 09-22-2001, 09:34 AM

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (Comptech98GSR)

that may be true, but if you used the same 50-shot..you'd probably spank him...

lighten your car, and spank him more!

Overall though, I'd have to say that the GTS is a decent car...I just like the look of the TEG so much better though, I'd much rather have the TEG (modified) or even the Civic (Modified) over the GTS (modified).....but stock vs. stock, I would just get a german car (Audi's or Bimmers..they rock for stock)
Old 09-22-2001, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (archmage)

here we go again magazine racing.
Old 09-22-2001, 11:52 AM
New User

Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (JG Luder)

I think that the GT-S is the best looking car out right now for the money. The "Action Package" which comes directly from TRD looks so good. They had a demo displayed at a local Toyota dealership which TRD exhaust, rims, springs, front, rear and lips and a TRD spoiler, it looked a little bit extreme, but overall it looked a lot better than any other car out there for the price. Yes, the rear looks somewhat big and I do prefer the rear of my car more (doesn't sound good), but the front of Celica's looks so damn aggressive. Anyways, you have to admit the seats, steering wheel...what a coincidence, the Celica "Action Package" commercial just came on, haha. Anyways, they are sweet, that's what I think... They just need to come out with a limited edition Celica, like a GT-S Type-R....you get my drift.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Formerly of SF moved to DFW and now back in SF, CA, USA
Default Re: GS-R vs GT-S (98 GS-R)

What's happening is that the 3rd Gen GS-R's are getting outdated. The other car companies are finally catching up and surpassing the GSR. It was bound to happen. Nothing to cry about. I think it's great for the industry and sport, as a whole. The GSR has a great following and it's still a great car, no question. But it won't always be the fastest.

Quick Reply: GS-R vs GT-S