Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Extensive DB V6 Build - Paddle Shifter on the Wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extensive DB V6 Build - Paddle Shifter on the Wheel!

I will be adding my process so far on my car, the long journey that it is, and start documenting the rest of the build. I have this thread on J32a.com and K20a.org as well.

Originally got the 2001 Integra LS in 2004 and then took it off the road around 2006 and has been apart ever since. Originally it was an LS, then went to a B20/Vtec, then proceeded to a B18C5 built block with a Crower built B18C1 head and turbo'd it. At that point I destroyed about 4 trannys in less than a month. Tore it apart and sold my motor set up to buy a hatch as a daily and build my teg. My plans were to k-swap the car but after gathering up parts over the course of a few years I decided to junk that idea and go J32a2 for the sake of being different. I was going to do a 6 speed but after talking with Don @ RPM I was set on tip-tronic setup, but with a twist, paddle shifter on the wheel. Well my progress took a backseat to my business that I owned, a sports bar. After 18 months of all work and no fun in the shop we could not renegotiate our lease so we closed up and I took a job doing debt negotiation. I now have a set 40 hour a week schedule, make great money, and have time to spend with my family and in my shop.

Now, on to the build thread!

When I got her, all stock lowered and on blades.

Skyline Drive

Skyline Drive Again

I thought I liked the black housing, never should have bought it....

Sitting on the dyno with my B20/Vtec build.

5 lug with CL Type S Wheels

Last edited by Phat4Door; 06-06-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Extensive DB V6 Build - Paddle Shifter on the Wheel!

Then the tear down began....

In the garage before I had room for it in my shop.

Another money pit of mine I used to have in the background.

Sunroof out, when I paint all nooks and crannies will be painted!

This is all trash now, remaking and tucking and hiding these.

Dirty as ****.

30 mins and the sub-frame looks so much cleaner.

Needs a little TLC before I put the sump on the bottom of it.

Now Onto Some Wiring

Stretched out the door

Junk ABS wiring I don't need anymore.

2.5lbs. of wires that I don't need anymore.

Looking a little empty

Ready for some shaving

Notice the battery posts and volt gauge where the battery used to be, wonder if it's getting relocated

"I like your accord man!"

"If that's an accord then I'm an armadillo!"

My buddy Mike helping me with the radiator support removal, thank god for good spot weld removal BITS, not that crappy thing that breaks to easy!

Mike and gangsta *** me.

My bumper, the white one was Mike's.

Finally I got my car to my shop...

If you look in the picture above you can see the dash hanging on the back left wall.

Next to my buddy'e built GSR block

As I made some progress on his build.

'08 Fit Sport Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shifters

That is basically about 5 years in a quick photo timeline, some outta order but all close enough. Progress to come, getting the Fit steering wheel in the car was most recent.

Last edited by Phat4Door; 06-04-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, so here is the setup I have for my steering wheel as well as the wiring pin out as I have tested it with am ohm meter and a 9v battery to verify, if anyone does find anything incorrect please let me know. The steering column is from a 99 SI, pretty sure any EK will work, factory Integra combination switch for lights/wipers, Honda Fit Sport clock spring/cable reel, Honda Fit Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters and the wheel wiring x2, part number is in the illustration. You need 2 of the harnesses because it plugs in to both sides of the clock spring/ cable reel, just cut off all the plugs on the dash side and wire them as illustrated below.

The Harness

Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you have under your hood? Haha

Well, I'm here at work and taking a lunch break decided to start on some wiring for my push button start (going completely keyless with a hidden ignition power button). Bet you would love to walk into a law office and see this sitting on someones desk....haha

It is just roughed up for now, got my s2k push starter in the car, hopefully some progress on my car at this shop this weekend.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

****small update****
got my fabric in for my headliner and sunvisors and got the visors tore apart, i'll post up the pictures of the visors on my lunch break since they are in my truck now, headliner has been in my basement for about a year now so i'll probably tackle this in a week or so.

Here are the visors stripped down and ready for a new look:

Did my sunroof slider the other morning, thought it turned out about near flawless, doing the headliner itself either tonight or tomorrow.

Also, here is a shot of some of my plates I've had in the past, didn't notice this until the other night but it reads "Demonic Piece of **** Integra Type R In VTEC" haha

Just finished my headliner, turned out great, no bad spots in it at all. Even got the fiancee to help some even though she says she hates the fabric pattern haha. I think it turned out ****ing awesome personally!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After I had gotten my sun visors apart I realized that I wasn't going to be able to upholster those so I took it to a local small upholstery shop, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome especially for only $25. Hopefully all my upholstery work is done now.
Went from this:

To this:
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures to come shortly, but I got a great deal on some black suede w/red stitching JDM ITR Recaro's, traded my USDM ITR seats and some other random EK parks he could use. Long story short, they have EK rails on them, where in the hell can I source some sliding Integra rails for these? I've looked and can't find crap on them....

My "new" JDM ITR Recaros, this is before I have cleaned them, I will shoot some after pictures in the next day or so after I clean em.

I got one of the seats cleaned up really good yesterday using my Bissell Little Green. Here is the nasty *** after water and the cleaned seat (still wet and in the process of drying.)

Here is the passenger seat while drying and all the nastyness that came out of it.

I also today finished out modding the EK brackets that came on the Recaro's so they would fit the DC with all 4 bolt holes. I didn't take any pictures of the cut apart rails/sliders but basically I cut the welds on the sides of the back inside mounting tab and then drilled out the pin through the center that holds it to the rail. Once they were removed I bolted both parts up to the chasis and marked everything up and then welded them back together in the correct position. I will have pictures up later of the final product when I get a break from work and can walk out to my truck and snap a picture or 2. Sure as hell beats trying to sell them to get DC brackets or try to trade the EK for DC. Fabrication makes **** so much easier sometimes!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my 5 lug, and started putting it on, got the rears on the car but I have to get the axles pressed out of the fronts first. The RSX Type S wheels look pretty good too!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:
Well at the end of last week my mom calls me and says, "Hey, just thought you would like to know I found 2 cash bonds in a file here at the house, stop by and get them" Hell yea, FREE Money (minus what I have to pay on taxes of course). So I prioritized my money and I paid off my fiancee's engagement ring I got her in December. The rest is going into the teg.

I went to the junkyard this morning and picked up my auto 04 Odyssey tranny for.....................dramatic pause.................................only $800 (he had it listed on car-part.com for $1395, gotta love being a good friend of the local junkyard owner. Also picked up another gas tank for only $50 with all sensors and such. I also scooped up the auto tranny cable that goes from the tranny to the shifter free courtesy of the owner as well as a front set of seat belts since mine walked away in a UPS box when I was planning on putting in a harness bar and harnesses. The reason I got another gas tank was I had a tank that I sumped and pulled all the useless EVAP sensors and **** off of before changing routes and going J32 where I will need all of it. So I needed a stock tank to put back in the car and the senors were around $400 for what I needed and they all came on the new tank, so I am just transfering them over to the sumped tank and if I ever want to sump this car in the future the tank is already done.

Moral to my story for the day, don't sell off parts to your car before you are sure you don't need/want them. Haha, at least in my case this **** was all from like3-4 years ago when the car was taking another direction.

Pictures to come later today when I walk out to my truck.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bow down to this build thread. Will DEFINITELY pop in for updates.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far so fawkin good! I'm speechless. I am truely amazed at what you are trying to tackle here, paddle shift J swap. The front end looks great BTW, great job so far! Keep up the awesome work! I'm subscribed!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DirtyDA9
So far so fawkin good! I'm speechless. I am truely amazed at what you are trying to tackle here, paddle shift J swap. The front end looks great BTW, great job so far! Keep up the awesome work! I'm subscribed!
thanks, the car has been sitting for so long and I think now I may be able to have it up and moving under its own power in 18 months or so, I am excited as hell that the car has come this far and is getting closer to moving!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang. 5-7 year build. Thats commitment.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by collkid
Dang. 5-7 year build. Thats commitment.
Yea, back when it was running I was just destroying transmissions on almost a 45 day incriment, so I said I was done with b series and wanted something newer, so decided K, started prepping the car, then became so infatuated with the J series I changed my plans. I love this car and can't wait to have it back on the road. Hell, for 2 years of it sitting torn apart I was still making payments on it and had full coverage insurance on it...lol.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is one extensive build.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dogginator
This is one extensive build.
thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DB squad reppin .... I must say i loved when you had the CL 5 lug wheels on the DB. Different, but in a very good way . Good luck with the build chief! In for final product.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DBiNfEcTeD*
DB squad reppin .... I must say i loved when you had the CL 5 lug wheels on the DB. Different, but in a very good way . Good luck with the build chief! In for final product.
Thanks, I loved those wheels, I first saw them on EBP SI with 5 lug, looked fresh, so I went out and bought them brand new from Honda, rocked them for a while, the traded them for my first set of s2k wheels. I will eventually buy another set of them, they looked damn good on the car.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some of the goodies I picked up at the junkyard

Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So in the next 2-3 weeks I will be ordering my Hasport EGJ2 mounts so I can finally at least set the motor down in the car and start cleaning up the engine bay and making some real progress on the car. I have found them shipped for $442.06 from lightningmotorsports.com, has anyone else found them cheaper anywhere else that would like to chime in?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

check ebay if you want the kit cheaper

the EGJ2 mounts do not work with auto trans and the auto trans does not fit the integra chassis
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hasport
check ebay if you want the kit cheaper

the EGJ2 mounts do not work with auto trans and the auto trans does not fit the integra chassis
Not trying to be a dick, but Don @ RPM Systems showed you his adapter kit to make it work, and the engine bay in a Del Sol is the same dimensions as a teg and I can give you the contact information to a guy in the north east that you can argue that his auto v6 in his Sol doesn't fit, but he should know, he drives it everyday.... once agian, not trying to come off like a dick, but it does work....you all just only want to market to the manual side of the swap
Old 05-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Link 1: http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=954
Link 2: http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=857
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all i have to say is .........WOWZA!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice build

Builds like this is what separate the men from the boys

Quick Reply: Extensive DB V6 Build - Paddle Shifter on the Wheel!