Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Duralast DG536 rear brake pads don't fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duralast DG536 rear brake pads don't fit

this post is an FYI for anyone that is about to go to autozone and ask for rear brake pads.

i am not really here to bash autozone parts. the issue is that their computer says DG536 rear pads fit the integra. this stands for duralast gold. the box is black with gold letters. these pads don't fit.

my opinion on autozone parts is very similar to what patrickgsr has posted here.

autozone is actually a place i shop a lot--they have a wide array of oils, filters and always stock prestone coolant and brake fluid. you can't beat their hours either.

that said, i am going to buy parts from carquest from now on. their prices on rebuilt OEM stuff like brake master cylinders and calipers are only 10$ more than autozone, and i have yet to deal with getting the wrong parts.

i have my old rear pads, the pads i just bought from carquest, and the bigger pads autozone sold me last night with me today. i am going to see what autozone has to say when i bring them all in after work.

i think maybe these DG536 pads fit the type-r, but i'm not 100%. the outside pad just fits, but the inside hits the caliper and sticks out beyond the rotor by 5 or 6mm. the caliper can't be bolted back in place because of this protrusion.

after i go talk to them today, i will update this thread. please save your OEM comments for another thread--i will never ever buy OEM replacement brake pads. that's the worst way i could think of spending my money.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Duralast DG536 rear brake pads don't fit

I've gone through the same crap with autozone and believe it or not its not the business itself but the people working there.
(Yes some product are crap but that's the manufacturers fault not autozone)
They do not hire on experience they're only requirement is a good background check.

I don't know if you know anyone personally at your local store but a while back I went to autozone to buy a TB gasket... I've bought a million of them and when I showed up this particuler time the kid told me they don't carry it. Long story short I completly flipped on the kid and the manager and in a smartass attempt they turned the computer screen and gave me the keyboard to find it myself. I found it and the manager embarrased as hell told me whenever I come in to find him and I can look up my parts and order them myself.

Now by doing this I found also that when there's many different autozones in the area, their prices vary by the area. On the computer I found they're employees are able to search for a best price in the area and they have to give u the part at that price if you ask. I live in a tourist location so my prices are jacked up and when I look for best price I usually find it at least 10$ off the price.

So if you feel up to it ask the manager if you can look it up yourself, it could save u a little more money and I've even managed to find edelbrock, autometer, msd, eibach, and more products on their computer that I never knew they carried
Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 536 part is indeed the one for the Integra Type R.

Clearly, the person working there made an error and gave you the wrong part. When I go into the Autozone website looking for rear pads for my '94 GS-R, it shows me part numbers with 564 rather than 536.

Originally Posted by EHondaJDM
I've gone through the same crap with autozone and believe it or not its not the business itself but the people working there.

Originally Posted by EHondaJDM
So if you feel up to it ask the manager if you can look it up yourself, it could save u a little more money and I've even managed to find edelbrock, autometer, msd, eibach, and more products on their computer that I never knew they carried
You can also look it up yourself on their website before you go there. You enter your car's information and it will show you parts to fit your car. Make sure you have cookies enabled on your browser.

Keep shopping at Autozone. Just don't talk to the guy/gal who gave you the wrong part.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy

Clearly, the person working there made an error and gave you the wrong part. When I go into the Autozone website looking for rear pads for my '94 GS-R, it shows me part numbers with 564 rather than 536.

Keep shopping at Autozone. Just don't talk to the guy/gal who gave you the wrong part.
i lost four hours of time and $40 if they don't take the banged up pads back today. i got up early this morning to confirm that i wasn't just delirious in the heat last night. i hate to sound like i'm whining, but i value my time greatly outside of my 40 hour work week.

is the autozone website account useful for this stuff? i called them last night to confirm he gave me the right part number, and he repeated 536. he suggested i get on autozone.com for instructions "in case you missed something" and i wanted to throw my phone through the wall.

EDIT: i missed the part of your post below the quotes a second ago. i think i'll sign up. thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
When I go into the Autozone website looking for rear pads for my '94 GS-R, it shows me part numbers with 564 rather than 536.

[QUOTE=follie gatts;42966709]
i called them last night to confirm he gave me the right part number, and he repeated 536.
QUOTE]

u should go into the store with both part numbers and ask to talk to a manager and ask why they have a employee insisting that he gave you the right part and that u looked it up yourself on the duralast site and its evidently wrong

then ask what he's gonna do to compensate for the time and effort youve wasted
Old 07-09-2010, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

full cash refund. the same guy was there. he looked up the part numbers the same way. i told him non-vtec when he asked and he still ended up with DG536. i told him the internet said those were the type-r pads, and he said, "ok, let me find the right ones." i told him i drove the car there with carquest pads, and he said, "alright, well you can have your money."
Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, it seems like that store's computer is just wrong. as nsxtasy mentioned, if you go to the autozone website and search for gsr pads you get the correct part# dg564. i don't think you can really blame the store employee as they just know how to give you what the computer tells them to give you.

i always try to double check part numbers before i go to parts stores to make sure what i get is correct. advanced auto gave me the wrong PS belt once. went back in gave them the correct part number went about my business. it sucks but there isnt much they can do. you got a refund so you are good to go.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
honestly, it seems like that store's computer is just wrong. as nsxtasy mentioned, if you go to the autozone website and search for gsr pads you get the correct part# dg564. i don't think you can really blame the store employee as they just know how to give you what the computer tells them to give you.
i agree.

Originally Posted by dpetro1
i always try to double check part numbers before i go to parts stores to make sure what i get is correct. advanced auto gave me the wrong PS belt once. went back in gave them the correct part number went about my business. it sucks but there isnt much they can do. you got a refund so you are good to go.
i didn't know i could access the parts catalog online until nsxtasy mentioned it here. i shop this particular autozone at least twice a month, so i have no hard feelings now that everything has been taken care of. i learned something, so i win.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I Encountered a few problems with AutoZone My self Bro Luckly for me A Carquest opened up right down the street a few months back. Ive been going there ever since. every time I'm in There I always see the local dealers drivers picking up parts from them so they're obviously gettign there **** strait