Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

Oh I know. I'm going to destroy my extra set of headlights first though lol. I was going through my parts like and somehow I ended up with 2 extra sets of 94-97 headlights
Old 10-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I really thought about doing a retrofit to mine, but a lot of people have been happy with the clear lenses from TRS, so I'm gonna try those lol.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

IMO a retrofit is 100% worth it, the brightness and width you get compared to factory halogens is incredible for night driving. Good call on the S2K projectors, those are arguably the best low-beam projectors you can buy.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by not_so_jdm_eh2
I really thought about doing a retrofit to mine, but a lot of people have been happy with the clear lenses from TRS, so I'm gonna try those lol.
I didn't even know that was a thing until you mentioned it lol

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
IMO a retrofit is 100% worth it, the brightness and width you get compared to factory halogens is incredible for night driving. Good call on the S2K projectors, those are arguably the best low-beam projectors you can buy.
I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the S2000 headlights, I was originally looking a some TSX projectors on ebay but i snagged the S2K headlights for way cheaper. I might try to break them down this week to see what I'm working with. And also to clear car parts off the kitchen table, the wife isn't as thrilled as I am when car parts show up.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clear lenses definitely aren't as good as a proper retrofit, but it fits the budget and I've seen some decent results. TRS has the lenses for next to nothing, and I can use the HIDs I already have installed.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:28 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Where's the ballast?

edit: My personal favorite for the integras are the tsx projectors.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The auction was just for the headlights themselves. Which is fine, i still need to put together the rest of the things i need. I'll probably source everything else through TRS
Old 10-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Fish Twig

I recommend oem ballast, nothing else.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So here is a recent pic from the park where i walk my dog. Its starting to get to be that time of year where I do not want to drive the integra on the road anymore. Its getting colder, but no snow in the immediate forecast yet. As soon as they start putting that god awful salt brine on the roads, the teg goes into the garage for winter storage/updates. So, here is what i have planned for the car this winter:

-Replace rear window motors and re-lube the regulators etc...
-Replace the front window motor/regulator assemblies with the new to me ones i picked from a upull yard
-Replace the core support so my bumper fits correctly and my hood closes correctly
-Figure out why my charging ports no longer are receiving power
-Replace some of the exterior window trim pieces with some better conditioned ones i picked from a upull yard
-Replace one A/C hose, the compressor, possibly the condenser? its original to the car so i have no idea how long these last.
-Go back through and re-tighten all suspension bolts. I just recently have been getting a slight knocking sound from the front suspension.
-Replace the oil pan gasket with a myhondahabit gasket, replace the ITR cooler o-ring, and the o-riing around the breather box. I think these are all the culprits of my slight oil seep.
-Complete a DIY Ice box mod using my AEM short ram for the intake pipe.
-install a few various kill switches for additional security.
-attempt to diagnose a weird voltage issue that seems to be related to above and below 42 mph for some reason...
-If funds/time allow, complete my S2000 retrofit.

Getting all of this done this winter is a fairly lofty goal, especially with a 2 week old new born in the house now. The car has treated me quite well considering it basically went to a daily driver status from May until now. I've put a hair over 6,000 miles on the car with a pretty minimal amount of things that needed to be addressed. I think i am over this exhaust though....this canister style muffler has to go. Gas mileage is great, the car runs smooth and shifts smooth, i cant ask for much more than that. Now that i have had a good bit of seat time in the car since the rebuild, i can safely say it is so great to be driving this car again as much as i am. They are such a blast to drive, even just mildly modded like mine. For a brief moment, i was actually thinking of taking all of my engine mods off the car and putting everything related to engine and exhaust back to stock. I think i will keep all of the mods as they are currently and just get rid of the loud exhaust. I need something a tad more tolerable. One thing I found odd throughout my 6,000 mile journey this year is the turning radius, my tacoma double cab has a tighter turning radius than this car. Oh well, that's nitpicking.

Be on the look out for the winter mods!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Fish Twig

white flag for winter
Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

True story
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will love the retrofit. I did the retrofit on my DB this past year. I did the bi-xenon. I got all extra harness and supplies from the retrofit source. Good job on the car so far.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Restoration came out nice. Good to see you driving it again. Sorry I never came through with the rear panel. Good luck with the retrofit. Interested to see how the s2k projectors fit in the Integra housing. I used e55 projectors with Hella ballasts and couldn't be happier with the outcome.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM-EJ698
You will love the retrofit. I did the retrofit on my DB this past year. I did the bi-xenon. I got all extra harness and supplies from the retrofit source. Good job on the car so far.
It will probably be a slow process when i have funds available, but i plan to get all of my supplies from TRS as well. May as well do it right once!

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
Restoration came out nice. Good to see you driving it again. Sorry I never came through with the rear panel. Good luck with the retrofit. Interested to see how the s2k projectors fit in the Integra housing. I used e55 projectors with Hella ballasts and couldn't be happier with the outcome.
Thanks man! Still got a ways to go yet, but i've cleared the first big hurdle. No worries about that rear panel, that was a big shipping distance to figure out.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

To save some money on the retrofit, I'd look into a used set of Hella ballasts like the "5DV 007 760" and they have built in ignitors which makes the install a lot easier. (used by a lot of manufacturers such as BMW, Audi, Jaguar, etc.) They are cheaper used than most aftermarket ballasts and better quality, and you can often find them in junk yards. Also, you can sometimes find bulbs in junk yards, I found a set of Osram bulbs for practically nothing that way. I have been very unimpressed with Morimoto ballasts and bulbs, both a friend and I have had problems with them (but their projectors have been great).

Also, be prepared to do a TON of cutting on the Integra headlight bracket, part of the projector housing is molded into it and the entire thing will need to be cut off to retrofit a new one in. You'll also have to do quite a bit of cutting to get the projector out of the S2000 bracket as it's also molded in. When I did mine I made a 3D model in sketchup of the Integra headlight internal bracket and used that to create a pattern of where to cut to get the new projector in, I can see if I still have it if you think it might be useful.

This is what mine looked like with Morimoto FX-R projectors, lots of the bracket had to be cut away to make room.

A bunch of other retrofit pictures are here too for reference.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...3234330/page6/
Old 12-11-2017, 07:34 PM
Fish Twig

i would've went with a tsx retrofit. much wider beam
Old 12-12-2017, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
To save some money on the retrofit, I'd look into a used set of Hella ballasts like the "5DV 007 760" and they have built in ignitors which makes the install a lot easier. (used by a lot of manufacturers such as BMW, Audi, Jaguar, etc.) They are cheaper used than most aftermarket ballasts and better quality, and you can often find them in junk yards. Also, you can sometimes find bulbs in junk yards, I found a set of Osram bulbs for practically nothing that way. I have been very unimpressed with Morimoto ballasts and bulbs, both a friend and I have had problems with them (but their projectors have been great).

Also, be prepared to do a TON of cutting on the Integra headlight bracket, part of the projector housing is molded into it and the entire thing will need to be cut off to retrofit a new one in. You'll also have to do quite a bit of cutting to get the projector out of the S2000 bracket as it's also molded in. When I did mine I made a 3D model in sketchup of the Integra headlight internal bracket and used that to create a pattern of where to cut to get the new projector in, I can see if I still have it if you think it might be useful.

This is what mine looked like with Morimoto FX-R projectors, lots of the bracket had to be cut away to make room.

A bunch of other retrofit pictures are here too for reference.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...3234330/page6/
I have a few retrofits printed up before photobucket went and ruined everything. I'll loosely follow those, and i joined HID planet so i can get some help there too if i need it. I'll definitely look into the oem components when i start getting my materials together.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
i would've went with a tsx retrofit. much wider beam
I dunno, i've seen some really impressive s2000 retrofit pictures. I was initially looking for TSX, but these S2000 headlights popped up for a such a good deal i couldnt pass them up.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what steered me in the direction of the S2000 projectors. Not sure if this guy is a member on here or not, i borrowed this from hidplanet.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 AM
Fish Twig

S2k's are def up there but are hard to find or expensive.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely better than what I did to mine, Dante. I still have to get mine in the car, but it's leaps and bounds better than stock was.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I received a notification of an integra sedan at the upull yard near me, so of course i make a trip up there. The car was in decent shape, but the interior was near flawless. Wrong color, but i took some items that were in much better shape than the ones on my car. I took the metal exterior trim above the windows, all four door weather strippings were in perfect shape, the shift boot, near perfect condition oem good glass for the passenger side, and a few other items. I made it really easy for whoever gets to that car next. all door panels are removed and placed inside the car, all of the trim etc.. i didnt use is in the car, and i put all of the screws in the same places. Someone who wants dark gray panels etc.. will just need to walk up to the car, open the door, and take them lol.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I started removing some stuff from the car to get clear access to the core support. I also started messing with my intake project. It’s going to be close, and I’ll have to do some trial and error to make it what I want. I bought this cheapo ebay intake to measure and cut and mangle so I only need to cut my aem intake pipe once. I took a bunch of pics, you can see the fitment is off, but I feel like it will work with some persuasion.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Fish Twig

had to chop up a cheap intake too, just to make it fit a stock airbox
Old 01-03-2018, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

were you successful?
Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Fish Twig