Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Cross-threaded a bolt to chassis - what to do?

Old 07-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross-threaded a bolt to chassis - what to do?

I was trying to do the shim method of fixing the camber in the rear and I was in a rush. I couldn't get it to work because I was working so fast. I finally gave up and tried to screw in the 2 bolts that go to the chassis without taking off the bolt that holds the suspension up and free's up that arm. To make a long story short I cross threaded one of the bolts that goes into the frame of the car. It is in probably 90% of the way in and seems to be holding, and I haven't done anything to it since.

This is not how I would like to keep it. I am thinking I might take everything out and try to get the bolt back in straight, although the odds of that seem pretty slim now. Is there anything I could do to make this easier? I would rather not take the car to a shop, if they can even do anything to it. The only reason i am now worried about it is because I now hear a click from that rear right corner sometimes and I think it is the plate sliding in and out on that bolt just a little.

Can ANYONE help me here?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cross-threaded a bolt to chassis - what to do? (Tim Maryak)

get yourself a tap and die set. that should be able to fix the problem unless you totally screwed the hole beyond repair. then if that's the case you might have to open the hole up to 1 size bigger. sears sells it for a pretty good price it's a craftmens tool BTW.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Cross-threaded a bolt to chassis - what to do? (Tim Maryak)

im curious, do you have a da or a dc? i did the same thing in my da about 3 months ago. i screwed mine in and it wouldnt go very far at all since mine was hella angled too. anyway, i just rode on mine for a good month or two, and i took it apart later when i boght a real camber kit, tryed just lining the bolt up, and it went in smooth. i guess maybe i just got real lucky, but nonetheless, it worked. so maybe just try again in a couple weeks or somthin.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross-threaded a bolt to chassis - what to do? (turtleboy)

Aweome responses guys. That is what I wanted to hear

I have a DC2. '99 GSR.

I am leaving for the beach Saturday so if I get some time I'll try to do it before then. Otherwise when I get back I'll first try to just unscrew it and get the thing in straight. If it fails, off to sears to buy that kit the first guy talked about.

If anyone else has had this happen I would love to hear the outcome.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:30 PM

Tap + Die set is a MUST for anyone who works on cars.

If you **** **** up as much as I do, you will instantly pay for this thing within a month.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (P1mpSlap)

Been there done that, moved on to bigger problems lol! What you need to do is buy a tap and spray wd40 in the messed up thread. Then carefully screw in the tap very slowly, if you feel a lot of resistance, screw out the tap and spray wd40 again. Keep doin the same thing till there isn't anymore resistance.

Oh yeah, and before u reuse the old bolts, make sure they aren't cross thread.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:49 PM

Default Re: (RH-TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RH-TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Been there done that, moved on to bigger problems lol! What you need to do is buy a tap and spray wd40 in the messed up thread. Then carefully screw in the tap very slowly, if you feel a lot of resistance, screw out the tap and spray wd40 again. Keep doin the same thing till there isn't anymore resistance.

Oh yeah, and before u reuse the old bolts, make sure they aren't cross thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES!!!!!!! listen to this guy if there is a lot of resistance do not turn it any further!!! Anyone who has broken off a tap will know it royally blows nutz trying to get it out. Take your time
Old 07-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Thrillhouse)

Thanks guys, how much will a tap and die set run me? I assume I can get one from autozone?