coolant reservoir boiling ?? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion


Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

coolant reservoir boiling ??

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Peruviann83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,108
Default coolant reservoir boiling ??

94 ls auto
So I was driving up some small hills to my parents house. I parked my car. I walked around the front and noticed smoke / steam from the passenger side hood, so i popped my head and noticed my coolant reservoir was BOILING. My engine never overheated.


Could this problem be due to a bad thermostat??
Peruviann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: san diego, CA, USA
Posts: 481
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

change your radiator cap NOW!
91akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Peruviann83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,108
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91akira View Post
change your radiator cap NOW!
Really ? Not the thermostat?
Peruviann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
 
spec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 8
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

Check and make sure your fans are working, easy way to do that is to flip the a/c on and check. Keep an eye on your temp . second make sure your water is circulating once it's up to temp by checking for pressure in your radiator hose. If the thermostat isn't opening the rad hose will be limp. Also check your radiator and make sure it isn't filled up with a bunch of crap , you might want to do this before getting the car warmed up.
Do you have a 50/50 water/coolant mix? i believe it slightly raises the boiling point but not much. The coolant acts as a lubricant and prevents corrosion so you may have a clog somewhere as well. There are a few more things to look for but if thats the case your better off getting a repair manual and trobleshooting or take it to a trustworthy mechanic. Hope this helps
spec22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Peruviann83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,108
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec22 View Post
Check and make sure your fans are working, easy way to do that is to flip the a/c on and check. Keep an eye on your temp . second make sure your water is circulating once it's up to temp by checking for pressure in your radiator hose. If the thermostat isn't opening the rad hose will be limp. Also check your radiator and make sure it isn't filled up with a bunch of crap , you might want to do this before getting the car warmed up.
Do you have a 50/50 water/coolant mix? i believe it slightly raises the boiling point but not much. The coolant acts as a lubricant and prevents corrosion so you may have a clog somewhere as well. There are a few more things to look for but if thats the case your better off getting a repair manual and trobleshooting or take it to a trustworthy mechanic. Hope this helps
Thanks ! I'm going to change the radiator cap and fill up with some coolant. Then ill check fans
Peruviann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
 
spec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 8
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

If the water was boiling in the reseviour i'd imagine you would hear hissing if it was the cap and probably some leaking of coolant around the cap and top of radiator and your car would have probably ran hot by then.. just my opinion tho.
spec22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
Daisy... Daisy...
 
Dogginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 24601
Posts: 16,584
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

It sounds like your cooling system is purging air. Was the car running when this "boiling " was occuring?
Dogginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Peruviann83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,108
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogginator View Post
It sounds like your cooling system is purging air. Was the car running when this "boiling " was occuring?
Yah not sure how long it was boiling / overflowing. I noticed it when I was parked.
Peruviann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Daisy... Daisy...
 
Dogginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 24601
Posts: 16,584
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruviann83 View Post
Yah not sure how long it was boiling / overflowing. I noticed it when I was parked.
Check your radiator cap. I suspect a head gasket. Start it cold and see if it bubbles.
Dogginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Peruviann83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,108
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogginator View Post
Check your radiator cap. I suspect a head gasket. Start it cold and see if it bubbles.
My motor is a Jdm replacement with 60 k on it I hope its not a head gasket it was fine till I started goin up the hills by my parents house
Peruviann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Daisy... Daisy...
 
Dogginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 24601
Posts: 16,584
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

The coolant would not boil in the reservoir. It is most likely a gas escaping from the cooling system. You may have just had an air pocket. Has the coolant level been dropping in the reservoir?
Dogginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Peruviann83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,108
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogginator View Post
The coolant would not boil in the reservoir. It is most likely a gas escaping from the cooling system. You may have just had an air pocket. Has the coolant level been dropping in the reservoir?
No the level never dropped. Just happened yestetday.

I'm waiting for a friend might do a coolant flush . New cap n thermostat. Then take it from there.
Peruviann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: san diego, CA, USA
Posts: 481
Default Re: coolant reservoir boiling ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruviann83 View Post

. New cap n thermostat. Then take it from there.
Your problem will be solved. Do that.
91akira is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coolant reservoir empty not overheating KhmerPride Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 5 04-29-2015 05:38 PM
Coolant boiling in reservoir psypha Acura Integra 11 06-05-2013 05:18 AM
Overheating and boiling coolant sound in reservoir donda Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) 1 05-30-2013 10:54 PM
coolant issues. Altilude Honda Prelude 10 05-26-2006 07:23 PM
CARS OVERHEATING!! HELP!! T"u"Rtle Acura Integra 2 08-18-2005 04:31 AM


Tags
94, acura, bad, boiling, cap, car, coolant, honda, hose, integra, melting, radiator, reservoir, resevoir, resivoir, thermostat, water

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:31 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: