Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

CG Transmission Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Transmission Rebuild Questions

Been a while sine I have been on here (must mean that the car ran well for a long time?) but alas my daughter took it upon herself to shell the clutch on my CRX - it is an 87 Si with an 89 Integra swap in it. In the process she destroyed the pressure plate and friction disk (don't ask me how) so I decided to take the transmission apart and rebuild it while I waited on the new flywheel/pressure pate/friction disc.

I ordered a rebuild kit - HONDA A2 & ACURA CG TRANSMISSION REBUILD KIT WITH SYNCHRO RINGS FITS '85-'89 (BK238WS) - The American Powertrain Warehouse - and I have taken everything apart, cleaned it like it was new and am starting the reassembly. One of the reasons for opening it up was that I had a Quaife LSD sitting about that fits these transmissions (I race a tube frame CRX that uses this same drivetrain...but it has a straight cut gear box in it and it is much easier to work on, so mechanically inclined, I am). I got the Quaife fitted with the ring gear, speedo gear and new bearings and it drops in without any clearance issues.

I changed all of the other bearings/seals in the transmission case halves and then Murphy came along...I went to go change the bearing that is on the Input Shaft. I use my snap ring pliers, got the 50mm snap ring off and then I expected the shim washer to slide off...should it not? It feels like it has free play if I push it side to side but it will not budge - it is firmly against the inner race of the shaft bearing. Is this and the bearing a press on piece? The factory FSM doesn't address assembly/disassembly of this bearing - only checking the clearance between the snap ring and washer. Any thoughts?

The other question relates to the input shaft as well - shouldn't the 3rd/4th gear synchro hub slide off the mainshaft? I can see that it is splined on the shaft/hub, but it sill not budge...there's no changing the synchro if that doesn't come apart.

I don't mind putting things in a press or using a bearing puller if that is what needs to be done - but somehow something doesn't seem right?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: CG Transmission Rebuild Questions

I've only rebuilt a B-series trans, so take this with a grain of salt.

The input shaft bearing is probably pressed on there, just be 100% sure that nothing else is holding it on before you try to press it off. Or you can put a block of wood on the ground and then slam the input shaft down on it repeatedly to see if stuff starts to move. And of course, if you try to press it and it seems unreasonably tough, stop, it shouldn't take much on a press to move.

The gear hubs are usually a pretty tight fit. I was able to knock mine off using the block of wood method but I had to have a shop use a press to put the new one on since it was a bit tighter.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply - I am getting ready to crack the case open on another CG transmission that I have to compare the shafts as well. If they appear the same then I will have it replaced and put back together shortly...if it's FUBAR, at least I have spare parts? I did notice last night that the 3/4 fork has a bit of wear so I am a bit suspicious...

Austin, eh? New Braunfels here!
Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not wanting to post a question with out leaving an answer...

I pulled apart another CG transmission and the 3/4 synchro hub slid right off of that input shaft. Pulled the snap ring on the ISB and that bearing was held tights as well, so I went back to my original Input Shaft to see about getting it apart.

I started a deep reach bearing puller and the 3/4 synchro hub came off with ease, evidently it was just tighter than the other input shaft. Put the input shaft in a press and started on the ISB and it indeed is a press fit, and the root of the gear that is cut onto the input shaft runs underneath the inner race of the ISB. When I got the bearing off and felt the surface there were lots of little sharp edges from the overcut for the root of the gear (pic). The new bearing pressed back on pretty straight forward and I am now proceeding with putting the rest of the transmission back together.

Thanks for the replies.