Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Jet Life Til' The Next Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car keeps dying

Well its my battery and I don't know if it's the battery or the alternator? I used another battery to drive home for like 5 minutes, so I'm not sure? Any help appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car keeps dying (Project95LS-VTEC)

try replacing the alternator and go from there. if your new battery doesnt do the trick then try to put a new alternator and go from there
Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap that has to be some of the worst advice I've ever seen given (and I've given some bad advice!).

There are ways to test whether or not your alt is the problem or the battery. I'm pretty sure someone is going to chime in with which terminal to take off the battery to test it. I'd say which one but I forget.

If you need to take it in to a garage and have them run a AVR test on your system and it'll tell you which is faulty. Why buy a batt to find out its the alt. Bad advice DC TWOin IT. *shakes head*.

Also I beleive if your battery is faulty but you get the car jump started and you can idle for a long period of time (or drive, whichever ) then the alternator is working just fine but when you shut your car off the battery is just going to drain itself and you'll come back to a dead car.

do becareful. If your battery is fine but your alt is shot it's easy to kill a battery from repeatedly letting it drain, recharge, drain, etc.
-Rik

Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rikter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rikter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy crap that has to be some of the worst advice I've ever seen given (and I've given some bad advice!).

There are ways to test whether or not your alt is the problem or the battery. I'm pretty sure someone is going to chime in with which terminal to take off the battery to test it. I'd say which one but I forget.

If you need to take it in to a garage and have them run a AVR test on your system and it'll tell you which is faulty. Why buy a batt to find out its the alt. Bad advice DC TWOin IT. *shakes head*.

Also I beleive if your battery is faulty but you get the car jump started and you can idle for a long period of time (or drive, whichever ) then the alternator is working just fine but when you shut your car off the battery is just going to drain itself and you'll come back to a dead car.

do becareful. If your battery is fine but your alt is shot it's easy to kill a battery from repeatedly letting it drain, recharge, drain, etc.
-Rik

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be the best thing is to take it to a shop but with the limited info the OP posted about the problem a quick fix and likely one would be to replace the alternator if the battery is draining quickly.

i didnt tell him to buy a new battery . i was referring to the new battery he was using to run his car.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project95LS-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used another battery to drive home for like 5 minutes, so I'm not sure? Any help appreciated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Car keeps dying (Project95LS-VTEC)

Do a load tes ton the battery, If it checks out, than cool. if unclear about the alternator, either spend a few buck and have the charging system checked. If you're on a budget, remove the alternator, most parts store will test if for free.