Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Camshaft help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Camshaft

I’ve read a few threads talking about the use for certain types of camshafts but post them if can help. Right now I’m between choosing the right camshaft for me. Rebuilding a turbo ls as a dd. Forged internals as well. My current goal is around 200-300 hp. I know that is attainable with stock motor let-alone stock cams but I want the power to be efficient and my block to be able to handle it easily. I have intentions of upping boost in the future with a but will be keeping it n/a for a bit before I boost. ***Essentially, I am looking at stage 1 n/a cams (valvetrain if needed) since they are usually just a slight improvement from oem, and stage 2 turbo cams and valvetrain probably from crower. I’m trying to keep it around the same fuel efficiency and I’ll probably get adjustable gears to help with that, but I just want opinions on what might be the better option. Can stage 1 really handle the high flow? Can stage 2 be used efficiently when done right? If you know of any threads that talk about this then send them my way. Thank you in advance

Last edited by Matteggy; 03-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Camshaft help

I would keep the stock cam, your gonna make 300 hp with the right Turbo kit with it anyway.

When you go for 400+ hp then go for a Crower cam. Keep it simple. Your not gonna make any much more HP with a all motor cam compared to a stock one even fully tuned! and the price for the all motor LS cams and tune is not gonna be worth it. Kepp the engine stock on a stock ECU/base map and drive it safely, then when your ready to tune it install the Turbo kit and the cam you want and tune it.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
I would keep the stock cam, your gonna make 300 hp with the right Turbo kit with it anyway.

When you go for 400+ hp then go for a Crower cam. Keep it simple. Your not gonna make any much more HP with a all motor cam compared to a stock one even fully tuned! and the price for the all motor LS cams and tune is not gonna be worth it. Kepp the engine stock on a stock ECU/base map and drive it safely, then when your ready to tune it install the Turbo kit and the cam you want and tune it.
My intention wasn’t to tune it while its n/a anyways. I’m mainly concerned with when I install the turbo. It’s a matter of which cam would be most fitting once the turbo is in for a high hp daily driver. I don’t want to run the risk of floating valves either but at the same time I don’t need the aggressiveness of turbo cams just yet. Someone else did tell me he’s running 800 hp on his ls with stock cams but I also wanna make sure I do it all right the first time and since my engine has over 330k miles on it, it’s time for a rebuild anyways so I figured why not upgrade the cams. I don’t wanna put excessive wear on a stock valve train with a turbo either. That’s why I was considering stage 1 (not a huge difference but still upgraded). Not for increased power but for power delivery and practicality
Old 03-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matteggy

My intention wasn’t to tune it while its n/a anyways. I’m mainly concerned with when I install the turbo. It’s a matter of which cam would be most fitting once the turbo is in for a high hp daily driver. I don’t want to run the risk of floating valves either but at the same time I don’t need the aggressiveness of turbo cams just yet. Someone else did tell me he’s running 800 hp on his ls with stock cams but I also wanna make sure I do it all right the first time and since my engine has over 330k miles on it, it’s time for a rebuild anyways so I figured why not upgrade the cams. I don’t wanna put excessive wear on a stock valve train with a turbo either. That’s why I was considering stage 1 (not a huge difference but still upgraded). Not for increased power but for power delivery and practicality
I suggest you really do some more research. GL
Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I suggest you really do some more research. GL
Thanks bud
Old 03-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks bud
all of what you're looking for is found in the stock camshaft... seriously.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
all of what you're looking for is found in the stock camshaft... seriously.
what should I do about the valve train? I’m gonna replace the valvetrain regardless but I want to give that an upgrade at the very least. Could I keep the stock cams with an upgraded valvetrain? I’ve read both yes and no
Old 03-24-2019, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what should I do about the valve train? I’m gonna replace the valvetrain regardless but I want to give that an upgrade at the very least. Could I keep the stock cams with an upgraded valvetrain? I’ve read both yes and no
Yea you could but I would do it all at the same time don't rush things or over complicate it. Wait till your ready and go at it full throttle. Meaning get all your Turbo stuff ready and start installing everything turbo related and you cant go wrong this way.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea you could but I would do it all at the same time don't rush things or over complicate it. Wait till your ready and go at it full throttle. Meaning get all your Turbo stuff ready and start installing everything turbo related and you cant go wrong this way.
Alright. I was thinking about just getting the motor built and then put the turbo in after so I don’t have to worry about it all at once. Im not trying to rush it but it’s just that I’m gonna have the motor torn down in the next few days and I wanna do it all at once like you said. My rotating assembly is pretty much figured out so just wanna figure out my valvetrain too, if I should upgrade it or not. I wanna make sure I have the motor built before I start putting the whole turbo in and then all of a sudden there’s a complication. Then I have an open engine with half a turbo setup hanging on while I need something else would rather have a clean and working engine with a turbo later on than add on to the mess during the build. I’ll give it a try though
Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. I was thinking about just getting the motor built and then put the turbo in after so I don’t have to worry about it all at once. Im not trying to rush it but it’s just that I’m gonna have the motor torn down in the next few days and I wanna do it all at once like you said. My rotating assembly is pretty much figured out so just wanna figure out my valvetrain too, if I should upgrade it or not. I wanna make sure I have the motor built before I start putting the whole turbo in and then all of a sudden there’s a complication. Then I have an open engine with half a turbo setup hanging on while I need something else would rather have a clean and working engine with a turbo later on than add on to the mess during the build. I’ll give it a try though
Got ya, well it wont hurt to put the valve train in while the engine is torn down, putting the valve train while the engine is assembled can be tricky but can still be done, I used compressed air to replace my valve springs and retainers once while the engine was still in the car, but it would be easier if the head is either off or the engine is on a stand. As long as you don't rev it crazy or anything the upgraded springs and retainers will be fine under stock cams. Wont hurt anything its usually the other way around where you can hurt the engine using aftermarket cam shafts with stock valve train
Old 03-24-2019, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got ya, well it wont hurt to put the valve train in while the engine is torn down, putting the valve train while the engine is assembled can be tricky but can still be done, I used compressed air to replace my valve springs and retainers once while the engine was still in the car, but it would be easier if the head is either off or the engine is on a stand. As long as you don't rev it crazy or anything the upgraded springs and retainers will be fine under stock cams. Wont hurt anything its usually the other way around where you can hurt the engine using aftermarket cam shafts with stock valve train
Doesn’t sound too bad. It doesn’t need to be a crazy upgrade, just something to ensure good flow reliably, that’s all. Now it’s just a matter of which one I should go with if not stock. Already getting second opinions
Old 03-25-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Doesn’t sound too bad. It doesn’t need to be a crazy upgrade, just something to ensure good flow reliably, that’s all. Now it’s just a matter of which one I should go with if not stock. Already getting second opinions
You're rarely going to get any true consensus of what you're looking for. I understand you're trying to get as much done while it is apart now, but it is best to keep the OEM setup together until it is time to upgrade the valvetrain with the proper camshaft. Different camshafts have differing valve seat pressures. So, its best to start from stock, get the turbocharger in and tuned. then, and only then do you need to investigate whether or not you need supplemental camshafts to make power/torque adjustments. You don't know what you have until you're tuned first.