Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

cam timing off a hair.. how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cam timing off a hair.. how to fix?

i replaced a timing belt (b18c1) and after everything was TDC and tight, i noticed that it was a hair off.. with the cam gears perfectly aligned, the crank pulley mark is off by a hair (~1mm or so, not much) is this okay?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cam timing off a hair.. how to fix? (HoUTX98GSR)

bump. i figure this small difference wouldnt matter but im not sure.. i havent noticed any problems, any advice?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: cam timing off a hair.. how to fix? (HoUTX98GSR)

Well, think to yourself , will moving the crank pulley one tooth on the belt put you closer to the mark or futher away.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: cam timing off a hair.. how to fix? (Sam92Teg)

carefully run it through one full rotation and listen/feel for piston/valve contact. if there isn't any, run it through like 6 times (with the crank pulley of course) then if its good start it up.

The first time I ever did a timing belt I FREAKED because of this problem. btu I ran it through, there was no contact, then it seemed like after I ran it through they lined up perfectly. Oh, and BTW

SEARCH, I'm sure there's other threads on this

good luck!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cam timing off a hair.. how to fix? (Slimm-rw-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slimm-rw- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">carefully run it through one full rotation and listen/feel for piston/valve contact. if there isn't any, run it through like 6 times (with the crank pulley of course) then if its good start it up.

The first time I ever did a timing belt I FREAKED because of this problem. btu I ran it through, there was no contact, then it seemed like after I ran it through they lined up perfectly. Oh, and BTW

SEARCH, I'm sure there's other threads on this

good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is no contact... ive been driving it around for a couple of weeks with no problems... i was just curious how off my timing could be.. im just worried im losing some power or mpg or something... can this minute amt of timing be fixed with the tensioner??

oh yeah.. and i did search for it.. i always do before i start a new thread
Old 05-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The marks will line up perfectly if it is timed correct. do NOT over tighten the tensioner to take out the extra difference. RE-time it and make sure they line up perfect. You have to be off at least 3 teeth to start bending stuff and it will still run 2 teeth off. however you will sacrafice power and reliability. If you re time it make sure its dead on. I just did one last night that took me a little while because of the same problim but eventualy i got it perfect. Dont use the "if they dont hit the piston it must be ok" attitude this will only cost you later. good luck.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (overclocking)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by overclocking &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The marks will line up perfectly if it is timed correct. do NOT over tighten the tensioner to take out the extra difference. RE-time it and make sure they line up perfect. You have to be off at least 3 teeth to start bending stuff and it will still run 2 teeth off. however you will sacrafice power and reliability. If you re time it make sure its dead on. I just did one last night that took me a little while because of the same problim but eventualy i got it perfect. Dont use the "if they dont hit the piston it must be ok" attitude this will only cost you later. good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks alot for the input... but do i take the belt completely off to re-time it?? what do i do?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HoUTX98GSR)

bump... when you say "re-time it" do you mean loosen the tensioner and line it up and retention or what??? help plz!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump..
Old 05-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump... im getting mixed answers about this... some people say if its off a hair its okay.. others say different... i mean its off a cooch hair. if i line up the cam gears you just about coulnt fit a peice of paper in the space between the white line and the line on the timing belt cover.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It needs to be right on. Cam timing is a lot more sensitive than ignition timing. Even being off by only a mm, could cost you in HP. It may not be enough to bother with if you don't want to spend the time but...

To retime it you should only have to pull the belt off the cam gears, then make sure everything is lined up again and put it back on. You are supposed to then rotate the whole thing a couple of teeth and then tighten the tensioner. Spin it around a couple times slow to listen for contact and then see if it lines up.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxhybrid85)

ok thanks man
Old 05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxhybrid85)

well i have adjustable cam gears... i could just fix the difference at the cam right? or is that not a good idea?