Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Buying a turbo off eBay, is this a good setup or no? Im new

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a turbo off eBay, is this a good setup or no? Im new

Well hi everyone. Im pretty much new here & I was wanting to buy a turbo for my car...its pretty much stock...here's a pix of it!

Ok so anyway, I want to turbo my car b/c I am interested in power, & who isn't these days . Im not a racer by any means, but here is a picture of my engine bay!

The particular turbo kit im looking at is here :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33742

Now, my friend got to looking at it, & said that it doesnt come with an Intercooler, piping & oil lines, but how much would you say those would run me?

- Would I need a turbo timer for such a small turbo (13b)?
- Would an intercooler be neccasary?
- Would new injectors also be neccasary? 310 cc good? or can i get cheaper ones?

I want to be sure that my car lasts me a long time, atleast 5 years even though I know i wont keep it that long. It is sitting at 105,500 miles now. There is no other mods done to the engine, & all i have done to the exhaust is a muffler (2.5" inlet, 4.5" outlet resonated). Which I am switching to a 2.5" custom cat-back here pretty soon b/c I got an excellent custom deal, only $120 !!! Anyhow, what do you guys think? I basically want to stay cheap, & not have to pay a bundle for one of those GReddy kits... Your response is greatly apreciated!

==Ryan
Old 09-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying a turbo off eBay, is this a good setup or no? Im new (Integra_RS)

I'd stay away from that kit, the manifold is known to crack , the turbo is too big, and other members have had the oil seals go bad really fast on them. You can piece together a better quality kit, and there are also a few people selling used turbo kits in the classifieds. How much are you looking to spend on the parts alone?
Old 09-05-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Buying a turbo off eBay, is this a good setup or no? Im new (Integra_RS)

u will no longer have ac with this setup.

there will be much more to do to get your turbo ready.

intercooler
fmu
pipings(including downpipe)
turbo itself
manifold
bov
wastegate
oil pan tapped(oil send line)
major tuning
fuel pump
clutch

a total of = Greddy Kit
The price is not cheap if u wanna keep the car in good condition.

I am building one at the moment, it takes a lot of $$. Ebay stuff is cheap not that durable. Look at your options!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wanting to spend $1000 all together, but not all at one time, I dont make that much money, im 18 & work at Sears LOL! I pull in about $800-$900 a month
Old 09-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Integra_RS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Integra_RS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wanting to spend $1000 all together, but not all at one time, I dont make that much money, im 18 & work at Sears LOL! I pull in about $800-$900 a month</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can probably do it w/ that budget, but you also have to keep in mind that you'll have to get some sort of engine management on top of just the turbo parts. For your budget, i'd say get uberdata since its pretty much free w/ the exception of the chip burning equipment. But if you can find a local tuner who works w/ uberdata he/she can take care of the chip burning for you but look to spend at least $400 for the street tuning and dyno tuning. Or you can get a VAFC, but for the price, i'd stick w/ the uberdata (VAFC price + tuning = more $$ than uberdata).
Engine management is very very important in keeping your car reliable
Old 09-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea the worse part is, i must pay $650 a month for my car payment...

PS I dont know what uberdata is, im new to all of this stuff man!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:48 PM

Like they said stay away from ebay kits as they are known to be shittie. My advice would be to read up in the FI forum and learn about different parts and just build a knowledge base and put together a list of parts you want for your kit and work towards buying them little by little then once you have them all you can then put it all on and get it tuned.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:48 PM

Turbo 101: http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html

Very informative site for this. Goes in depth into the workings of turbo and its components. Should help you make some of your decisions. Has some accurate price depictions too.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:07 PM

you should definatly read the Forced induction forum of this website, I pieced together a "junkyard" turbo kit for my rex for less than 500, I learned a lot doing that but what i also learned is that going FI is not cheap the cheaper the less reliable well unless you really know what you are doing and it seems like you arent too sure about what you are doing. Fuel management is the most important part, and there are many diff options to this , everyone has their opinions, for my junkyard kit I used fmu and fmu only without fuel pump , bad idea, Right now I'm doing a lot of research on uberdata for my next setup since my other setup didn't last long its a cheap alternative to other fuel management systems like hondata. http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/
How many miles do u have on your motor? Boost and high milage motors aren't a good mix, and for that turbo kit my friend was running the mani and turbo and he no problems with it, I have that same manifold and its fine once it is braced and I have access to a welder so its no problem. jus do as much research as you can and learn from experience .

I'm done rambling

-Denny
Old 09-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about a Jackson SuperCharger? Would it be cheaper with maintence? How much hp do i get to the wheels with one of those things? Thanks
Old 09-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's one link https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=980534 but there are a lot more dyno plots and info in the archives
Old 09-05-2004, 08:20 PM

Default Re: (B18Flip)

$650/month car payment for your teg is killer man... good luck with the build
Old 09-05-2004, 08:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Integra_RS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about a Jackson SuperCharger? Would it be cheaper with maintence? How much hp do i get to the wheels with one of those things? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a JRSC for a GSR and its fun to drive. I would never get one for a B18B as I recall you'd only be as fast as a stock GSR. It looks like you know nothing about Turbos and how they work. There is nothing wrong with that, but that just means you should NOT buy any turbo at all right now and spend ATLEAST 1 MONTH researching all about turbos and your motor and what you want and how much $$$ you wanna spend. Due to being on a tight budget a lot of work will have to be done by yourself or by really good knowledgable friends.

Don't confuse "friends that are willing to work on your car for free" with "friends that KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND will work for free".

Be patient and research a LOT before buying a single part. There will always be good deals. And don't forget, Ebay is an AUCTION. People seem to think its a store. Auction = What you see is what you get, NO RETURNS PERIOD (Even if the product is total junk and broken). Unless the seller specifically offers a gaurantee. So be very cautious when buying things off Ebay.

Old 09-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear you can put a BOV on a SC, is this true?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Integra_RS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hear you can put a BOV on a SC, is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the Vortech takes it, the Jackson doesn't have a location for it so it can be considered impossible.

I had a Ford V6 Roots Eaton SC on it before and they used a "bypass valve" like the Jackson Units. Some guy eventually was able to fabricate a BOV onto the stock charge pipes. End result was much higher intake temps and a loss in power. But he got the PPSSSHHH PPSSSSHHH he wanted.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I also realized a problem I will have. I MUST keep my A/c. For one, it gets hot outside, & 2, my a/c has to run ALL the time, or at some times, my engine will randomly try to heat up at stop lights, & once i get going, the cool air cools the engine back down, & when i come to the next stop light, it wont heat up anymore. I dont know why it does this, it's totally at random & happens when it wants too...but that is why i must keep my A/C.

A supercharger on my b18b, which is pretty much stock, how much hp do you think it will add? Around 175 whp? Thank you
Old 09-06-2004, 08:38 AM

First off, I don't think you'll be happy with the power you get from the supercharger especially for the money you spend. Your better off just selling your LS and buying a GSR, meaning you could probably find a GSR for around 3k more then your LS and then you'll have a stock GSR which would be a ton more reliable and perhaps in the future you could mod that and it'll be a lot better of a base.

With your B18B you have a great start for a turbo setup. Its got low compression and they have been known to be very good with boost. I 100% recommend the turbo over the supercharger, not only do you get more power but you also get room for improvement at anytime or when money comes to you, with the supercharger you have a certain limit and you can't go anymore. Turbo is definately the way to go.

Now onto your setup. I built my setup over the winter and it took about 6 months for me to piece all my parts together and finally start putting it all together. I just saved up money here and there and bought parts when I saw a good deal. Check in the forced induction classifieds and buy from quality sellers not just because its a good deal. Remember this..."do it right the first time". Don't buy **** parts just to get them and because they are cheap. Your better off spending another 2 months waiting and saving for that part that will make your setup reliable. There are quite a bit of ebay manifolds that crack so really watch what you buy there, try finding a used Inline Pro Manifold . Now as stated above fuel management is the most important part of your setup. You want to be reliable so you need to get yourself either (Uberdata..cheapest and its a very good tuning device, Hondata...expensive but worth every penny, AEM...expensive but worth the cash). I'd suggest Uberdata because its basically free besides the money you have to pay the tuner. You could either street tune or send it to a dyno and get it tuned, either way make sure you tune that bitch as soon as its on the street, don't go blowing it up in the first week because you just want to feel boost. Find a reputable tuner in your area and make plans on tuning.

As far as injectors go, it depends on how much power you want. Thats basically what will make that decision. I got RC 550cc injectors in my GSR and im pushing around 250whp or so, along with a Walbro 255 fuel pump, pretty much an ideal fuel setup and its very reliable along with my uberdata tune. Fuel is huge with turbo

As far as the oil lines go. Definately talk to Flamenco-T, he'll hook you up with everything you need for that. Its around 115 I believe for the whole fittements kit. Depending on how you do your piping that will all change the pricing, you can go custom or you could buy some used piping offline from either a kit or somebody else's custom job. Just make sure its going to fit your setup, not everything will work....as far as the intercooler goes, just shop around there is a ton to choose from. I went with a spearco FMIC. Same thing for the downpipe, you could either go custom or you can buy one offline that was either custom or from a kit.

I highly recommend going with a Tial wastegate, just search and you'll see why. Very high quality and probably the best wastegate on the market. As far as your blow off valve, whatever you want to choose.

Make sure everything bolts up right and is compatible to each other and make sure your flanges match up (get the high quality bolt kits too, because exhaust leaks are a bitch).

Well i've rambled on enough. There is a ton of stuff you need to learn first and highly suggest just buying a few parts at a time when you have the money and you see a good deal. Eventually it'll all come together and at that time hopefully you have learned enough to actually know everything about a turbo setup and you should definately get some friends that "know" what they are doing to help you install it, it saves quite a bit of cash.

Finally, you'll love your decision and every bit of money that you spend if you do things correct. Turbo is fun as hell.....
Old 09-06-2004, 09:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Integra_RS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I also realized a problem I will have. I MUST keep my A/c. For one, it gets hot outside, & 2, my a/c has to run ALL the time, or at some times, my engine will randomly try to heat up at stop lights, & once i get going, the cool air cools the engine back down, & when i come to the next stop light, it wont heat up anymore. I dont know why it does this, it's totally at random & happens when it wants too...but that is why i must keep my A/C.

A supercharger on my b18b, which is pretty much stock, how much hp do you think it will add? Around 175 whp? Thank you</TD></TR></TABLE>

your fan is probably not turning on at the right time. You need to get that fixed before you consider a turbo. Your car will be faster if you dont have the a/c on. If you make $800 a month and your car payment is $650 you probably should not get a turbo, it may get expensive if something goes wrong
Old 09-06-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: (Havoc3119)

as far as that overheating A/C thing, look into replacing the thermostat & fan relay, and/or possibly a water pump.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:21 AM

Dude seriously, you don't even grasp the basic knowledge of turbo. Stay away from turbo, even tho its a big bolt on its not easy as it seems. You will run into problems that just come out of no where.

And if your asking if an intercooler is necessary then your no where near the level of turboing your car. Save up some money atleast 2000$ and while saving up do mast amounts of research.

You can PM me for help.

S/N : Aur0nx5

btw..I have a friend who im helping building his own kit and he ALSO works at Sears and ALSO who is 18. But he did his research. Contact some one who knows a lot and been through a lot before you start buying parts that you have no idea what they are for. Its better off to do it RIGHT the first time cause if you just get jumpy and start putting ur turbo on and didnt do **** right the first time you'll encounter serious problems i.e blow your motor.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:33 AM

I see automatic transmission solenoids sitting on that transmission.

If im correct, and you have an auto, man, before you boost, i really recomend a 5spd swap.... I did that on my lude and its a thumbs up mod for SURE.

you put major power on that automatic, that ****** will start slipping in no time.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it is an auto transmission. I know there is loss of power w/that, but i am the automatic type of guy lol... i was told that auto's are good for the turbo, but i maybe wrong. So its good not to turbo my car b/c of that tranny?..

Well i guess i must buy a GSR then... or a eclipse gst or gsx, i like them both =P

i saw a 1998 eclipse gsx 5 speed w/ 80k miles sell for 8,000. theysaid they would give me 4,000 on my car, i told them hell no lol
Old 09-06-2004, 01:22 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: (patdemps)

Damn Pat... Your post makes me dizzy....

GOOD **** THOUGH!!

On a SIDE NOTE, heres some advice:
Keep reading around the Integra and FI forums and LEARN before you go ahead and waste your damn hard earned money!

I don't want to be just a pure *** so here's my setup for you. Maybe you can refer to it when you do yours incase you go the CUSTOM FI route:
- inlinepro manifold (or BLOXX manifold, copycat but cheaper $$$)
- garrett t3/t04e .63 ar
- custom 3" dp w/ qtec30 exhaust cutout (stealthy setup for me)
-&gt; into my current 2.5 carsound cat (either that or my test pipe laying around)..
-&gt; into my custom 2.5 exhaust piping and maybe a stealthier muffler to replace my shitty magnaflow one
- 38mm tial wg
- dsm 450 injectors (rebalanced by RC engineering)
- walbro 255 lph HP fuel pump
- hondata s200 w/ boost (map---dyno tuned previously @250+ whp 6.5psi)
- cca 31x6x2.75 intercooler

All the necessary fittings, etc.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:01 PM

dude dont get a turbo unless you have enough money to get it all. Your intire fuel system, inter cooler, all the pipes, and the most important think KNOWLEGE!!. also its worth the money to get internals. Just dont think you buy the turbo and now you have a fast car it takes a lot.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Buying a turbo off eBay, is this a good setup or no? Im new (red95integ)

I honestly say save up your money and invest it in something else if you really want to make something from your money. Either that or just expect this turbo process to be slow. 1,000 isn't going to get you what you want. Yes, some guys can come on here and say you can find cheap parts here and there, but you gotta remember that just the clutch alone is going to take nearly half that with the work and that has nothing to do with the turbo kit. Then, you gotta pay for tuning, unless your going to tune yourself (assuming you have the software to tune uberdata, or you perhaps believe your knowledge is strong enough to butt tune something else, which it isn't). So, I say either find a new project or find a way to get more income, because what your making and with your car payment its just going to be a struggle...plus by the time you put it all together you'll probably have 40k more miles on your car and you'll want to sell and this and that. I've seen it a ton of times.

Sit back and think if this is something you can handle financially. From what it sounds like, you can't. Half *** and cheap parts just isn't the smart way to go, especially with a car your still paying on. What do you do when something goes wrong? Got another car...?

Save up and do it the right way....or spend that extra money to pay your car off quicker.

Im just trying to give you the best advice possible.

Quick Reply: Buying a turbo off eBay, is this a good setup or no? Im new