Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Best way to bleed entire brake system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to bleed entire brake system?

I want to bleed my entire brake system and put in new dot 4 fluid. I wanna make sure to get all the fluid out of the lines and reservior so its all fresh fluid.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Best way to bleed entire brake system? (tremor86)

You need a friend to help you.

1. Support the car on jackstands (4 of them)
2. Remove all 4 wheels.
3. Put a clear 1/4 tube over the bleeder valves.
4. Pour brake fluid into any clear bottle and submerge the other end of the clear tube in it.
5. 10mm wrench, loosen the bleeder valve.
6. Have friend sit in car and pump brakes only to 1/2 distance, do not push it all the way down.
7. Watch the resevoir levels and do not let it dry out, fill new brake fluid and top it off.
8. Continue to pump brakes and watch the oil coming out of the clear hose, if you see the fresh oil and no air bubbles coming out, that brake line is done. Close the valve and move on to the next side.

The helms states to start at.
1. Drivers Side Front
2. Passenger Side Front
3. Passenger Side Rear
4. Driver Side Rear.

Do all the steps above to each brake and you are done.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Formerly of SF moved to DFW and now back in SF, CA, USA
Default Re: Best way to bleed entire brake system? (tremor86)

Just bleed the system per the Helms manual/above post. Do it a few times until you see nothing but the new fluid in there. I used ATE blue so it was a little easier to know when all the old fluid was out. I had to bleed the brakes twice all around, but I did it a third time just to be sure.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best way to bleed entire brake system? (Gee3)

I use Speedbleeders, and theyre 100% worth the money, I've bled my brakes in a matter of minutes, less than 5 in fact. But anyways, just follow the helms/haynes and you'll be fine.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to bleed entire brake system? (Understeer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Understeer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need a friend to help you.

1. Support the car on jackstands (4 of them)
2. Remove all 4 wheels.
3. Put a clear 1/4 tube over the bleeder valves.
4. Pour brake fluid into any clear bottle and submerge the other end of the clear tube in it.
5. 10mm wrench, loosen the bleeder valve.
6. Have friend sit in car and pump brakes only to 1/2 distance, do not push it all the way down.
7. Watch the resevoir levels and do not let it dry out, fill new brake fluid and top it off.
8. Continue to pump brakes and watch the oil coming out of the clear hose, if you see the fresh oil and no air bubbles coming out, that brake line is done. Close the valve and move on to the next side.

The helms states to start at.
1. Drivers Side Front
2. Passenger Side Front
3. Passenger Side Rear
4. Driver Side Rear.

Do all the steps above to each brake and you are done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not quite correct...... but almost........

According to my Helms, the correct sequence is RR, LF, LR, and RF. You also need to pump the brakes till it gets hard and have a friend hold down the brake pedal while you losen the bleeder valve. Just keep doing it until you don't see no more air in the line. Check the brake resevior and make sure the fluid do not go below the MIN line. HTH.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Best way to bleed entire brake system? (mickey513)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mickey513 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not quite correct...... but almost........

According to my Helms, the correct sequence is RR, LF, LR, and RF. You also need to pump the brakes till it gets hard and have a friend hold down the brake pedal while you losen the bleeder valve. Just keep doing it until you don't see no more air in the line. Check the brake resevior and make sure the fluid do not go below the MIN line. HTH.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, not if you do it the way he said. by having the 1/4 tube submerged in the brake fluid, there is no way air can get into the lines.

You can also pick up a one man bleeder bottle at your auto parts store for a few dollars.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Best way to bleed entire brake system? (Mac8008)

That is correct. I also did it in the correct order that my 98 Helms manual states. But with the bottle, no air was able to get back into the brake system.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:11 PM

Is it okay to open the brake master cylinder and top off the brake fluid to Max level? Will air get inside if I open it?

My brake fluid level is in between max and min level right now, I want to top it off to max.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:06 PM

places like jc whitney have bottles that screw on top of the res and you can use air from your tire to blast the fluid through the lines. I use one at work and one guy can flush breaks by himself in about 15 - 20 min. they are only like 40 bucks
Old 12-01-2003, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Understeer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is correct. I also did it in the correct order that my 98 Helms manual states. But with the bottle, no air was able to get back into the brake system.</TD></TR></TABLE>I think they changed the ABS some time in there... My '95 bleeding order is RR - LF - LR - RF - then ABS. The bleeding order is based on which circuit is likely to push air into which other circuit, and they must have changed the plumbing around when they started using the newer ABS without it's own reservoir.

If you leave the bleeder screw open continuously while pumping the brake pedal, sometimes you suck air in through the threads of the bleeder screw. This happens between strokes, while the pedal is moving back upwards. But it doesn't always happen, depending on how tight the threads are & how far you open the valve.