Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

AWD Integra GSR build

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a little more research, and I found that the 93 prelude rotors will work. Wasn't that hard to find. They aren't a captured rotor so that makes it just fine. Not sure if the teg calipers will work, but ill figure that out later. As for the hub, I still can't seem to get it out of the bearing. I broke a 10 ton gear puller trying to push it out. Its a 28 spline hub so that will buy me in to using a little narrower range of inner cups. Once I get the accord hub loose and verify it will fit into the crv bearing, ill start on cv shafts and brakes. Also I finished up with the trunk pan. Not half bad for my first attempt. It may not be perfect but it is sturdy to say the least.
Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AWD Integra GSR build

Hydraulic press came in today. Pretty excited. First thing when I got home was I pit it together in the living room and smashed a penny. Now I can get that hub out to make sure it fits. Also got a DIY exhaust kit from summit. So now that can be addressed too.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Made no progress whatsoever today. Used the press to try to get the hub out, and broke the press. Did some modifications to what was left of the press and it works great now, but I broke everything I had that I could use to prop up the bearing assembly to push the hub out. Smashed a rotor into 4 pieces, and sheared some bolts, broke a couple chisels, and a few drill bits,but never got the hub out. I give up trying to press or pry it out, I'm just gonna pick up a cutting wheel and hack it to pieces.
Oh, also the exhaust I got has enough pipe to make 2 full exhausts. Pretty happy about that for 190 bucks.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:26 PM
j13
Honda-Tech Member

dang...this is a huge build. are you planning on having the whole vehicle painted inside and out? that should have a clean look when finished. have you mounted the rear diff and drive shaft to trans? mock up pics would be great
Old 11-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I applaud your creativity, and I really wish they made an awd integra, that being said.....please stop what you are doing, your welds are terrible, your design is terrible, you cant just turn 5 lug hubs into 4 lug hubs with a welder ... that's going to fail, you are going to injure yourself or others, and waste a lot of money in the process.

not being a hater, just being honest and sincerely concerned for the well being of yourself and others.

I love my rights and freedoms, and the fact that I don't have to go through vehicle inspections, but builds like yours almost make me wish that they were required nationally
Old 11-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not the least bit worried about it, I appreciate the concern, but your wrong. Yea some of the welds don't look so good, but I'm not a master fabricator. the questionable ones were ground out and redone. but it didnt Make them look any better. Worse actually. its all sound trust me, or not. Its your choice but not your problem. If its not road worthy when I'm done ill be surprised, but ill fix it before I drive it. I've had it on the ground, jumped around inside like a gorilla, lifted it 2 feet off the ground and rolled it off the stands and dropped it, without so much as a creak. After its drivable, its gonna see a few neighborhood speed bumps before it leaves the house. I'm not the least bit worried, sorry you are, but that's life I guess.

As for painting the thing, no I just primered and put undercoat on all the bare metal. I will paint the thing at some point but not now. There's a few pics with stuff put together. Things have changed a bit though. Right now the driveshaft isn't in cuz its a bit too long, and I'm having to hybridize some cv shafts for the rear. Right now I'm in the fight of my life against a wheel hub and bearing. Seems the setup is going to be 94 accord hubs prelude rear rotors the teg calipers, s2000 outer cv cups and shafts and d series inner cups. Specs are saying they will all fit together, but I won't know unroll I have them all in hand. And I refuse to buy anything until I get this hub out.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:57 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey man, i support what you are doing man. I didnt go through all the oages due to a bit of a hangover lol, but im wondering why did you decide to go 4 lug? To save weight? Gsr is 4 lug anyway, so i thought its kind of strange lol. Im gonna look back and see why exactly this happened. Continue with your modding man, because i see it as even an engine can put ones life in danger if the conditions are met. I approve of this build.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting problem with the rear setup. Here's one I found where he used an itr five lug front, then welded the rear trailing arms. http://hondaswap.com/civic-del-sol-e...-526026/4.html

The hub issue is interesting. I know they are an odd shape so it's hard to get a good fixture to press them out. I usually wind up using thick straps or square stock. You might also check to see if there is a snap ring retaining the bearing in place, but I don't think Honda did that. . mainly domestics. Also, sometimes a little heat will work wonders. Maybe try heating up the knuckle to expand away from the bearing and then press it out.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 4 lug over five because I don't wantto have to convert the front to five lug, and buy five lug rims. Also the rear crv hub spline is tiny, like super tiny. The accord hub has 28 spline which will accept more types of cv shafts and is 4 lug albeit 4x113 but my wheels are uni 4 lug. Also I noticed that the crv hub because it was supposed to be drum, sticks out a lot farther which was an issue when I dropped the car, the tires were outside the well about 5mm which is the offset diff between crv and teg.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got the hub out of the accord bearing, and it fits perfect in the crv hub. Its a little shorter but not by much. I just have to cut a lip off the bearing. Now I gotta source a rotor.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet. So you'll have to make hybrid crv/accord rear cv's?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's one option, but I'd like to come up with a sturdier option. The s2000 cv will fit the accord hub and is the perfect length. (remember I brought both sides in 2 inches.) All I have to do is match the inner cup. Also using the accord hubs makes it possible to drop the crv diff and mount an s2000 diff in its place and slap blank cups in the front for some fun.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea exactly. Pretty excited about that. Also if you've seen the crv cv shafts they are tiny. Full rwd would candy cane them pretty quick.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you got all the right ideas and worked out pretty well. Good game plan sounds like a blast . definitely digging your progress.

Last edited by HalFastTeg; 11-25-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

let's see a pic of the WHOLE car lol
Old 11-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HalFastTeg
Sorry deleted that. Didn't wanna hurt anyone's feelings. Sounds like you got all the right ideas and worked out pretty well. Good game plan sounds like a blast . definitely digging your progress.
Wha?

Oh trust me the whole car is nothing to see. 9 years ago, I spray painted it with flat black cans to make it all one color. Its mostly worn away.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tomorrow is thanksgiving, and I would like to give thanks for getting paid before thanksgiving and the 4 day weekend. Now I can get what I need and mock up one side, work the kinks out and route the exhaust.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Couple updates on stuff. Hubs now in the car. Had to grind that lip to get it in but now its perfect. Got a rotor to put on. Seems placement for the caliper will be even better, but the hubs outside edge is a bit too big to fit inside the rotor, and I was in the process of fixing that when the grinding wheel bit me. Pretty good too. The thing is the wheel was stupid hot and cauterized it, so it won't bleed. So my right hand is out of commission for the night I don't want to risk getting anything in it till it seals up. Also, s2000 cv shafts are stupid expensive and hard to find, so I may have to go with accord/crv hybrid shafts for a while.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brakes muthaf*#ka.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131202_172250.png
Views: 4842
Size:  503.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131202_172314.png
Views: 3988
Size:  489.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131202_172337.png
Views: 3975
Size:  489.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131202_172357.png
Views: 3951
Size:  514.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131202_172416.png
Views: 3997
Size:  535.7 KB

I did it. One side is fabbed up and installed. Just gotta reroute the ebrake cable and one side is done. I think it turned out quite nicely.
Couple things I learned:
Before putting the studs in, take some sandpaper to the center hub ring. Its just slightly too big. Like machine finish too big.
Also cut down the outside of the hub before putting studs in.
A tungsten scribe is your best friend, ever.
A grinding wheel will eat you, no questions asked.
A flapper wheel does a much better job than a grinding wheel in any application.
Grinding stones explode if they hit a sharp angle.

Anyways the cv shaft may have to come from dss. the crv shaft and joints are kinda oddball the shaft spline is the same as the cup
spline and it uses a tulip like most, but the bearings are just thick bushings with no needle bearings which makes the shaft of each tulip really small. I'm not sure I can do anything with it, and no other car that I can find has a 23 spline inner cup. If anyone has any ideas or info it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I called frank at DSS. He said custom set of axles will run me about 850 ish. Sounds good to me, just gonna have to wait till after Christmas.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crazy idea! Looks good, can't wait to see it finished!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

longest ssbn underway in history, literally, look it up. i havent forgot about this. im just taking a break.
i got it fired up the day before i left, but its got some long term layup issues i gotta work out then i gotta get the cv shafts, do some cleanup, and its done. parts are on order, and i plan to get started in a few weeks.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been waiting on updates, good to see you're still in it
Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blackhalo6
Hydraulic press came in today. Pretty excited. First thing when I got home was I pit it together in the living room and smashed a penny. Now I can get that hub out to make sure it fits. Also got a DIY exhaust kit from summit. So now that can be addressed too.
Lmao

Quick Reply: AWD Integra GSR build