Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Anyone know why this happens?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 06:24 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know why this happens?

OK well here is my problem. Recently when I have had a quick shift to second my car makes a loud bam sound and it feels like somone is hitting my dashboard with a sledge hammer!!! I mean this is real loud and hard. Hard enough to pop open my change thingy and spray me with quarters the other day durring a race! Anyone have any ideas whats up?
Old 11-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (ReBornGSR)

You're not shifting correctly. You're letting the rpm's drop too quickly b/w shifts so that when you let the clutch back out quickly, the engine's having to speed up REAL quick to catch up to the tranny.

If you're feeling that much shock from the shift....imagine how much driveline shock your engine and tranny are having to deal with.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:47 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (IN VTEC)

Wait?? So your saying I am letting my rpms drop too much? That means that my shifts are taking too long?
Old 11-04-2001, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ReBornGSR: Did you replace your clutch with a non-spring hub? I switched to a 6 puck race clutch and everytime I shift I notice the same thing. By the way I am celebrating 6 months of being clean and sober form sprung hubs-thanks everyone
Old 11-04-2001, 09:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (Halo)

Sounds like you have an upgraded clutch or something. When I first put in my Clutchnet Stage 2, it sounded like my dashboard was gonna break everytime I shifted hard into second.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (Anthony K)

Upgraded clutches can produce that nasty side effect.... if you don't have an aftermarket clutch, you may want to look at the condition of your engine mounts.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:06 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (X2BOARD)

My clutch is still stock so im guessing my engine mounts?
Old 11-05-2001, 06:28 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude... is it making that bang when you slam the shifter into gear or when you let the clutch out?

If its when you are letting the clutch out.... thats normal. Your shifting quick so you basically slam it into gear and dump the clutch all in about a half a second.

The clutch will hook up and *BAM* it will make the noise because its very voilent. I bet when u do this going into 2nd...the tires wil chirp too.

Yeah the change thingy (designed as a ash tray) will make the most noise obviously. If your good enough at quick shifting you can even chirp 3rd gear

jesus all these idiot above are saying your not shifting right blah blah blah... they are too stupid to realize something this obvious... I hear the same noise everytime I shift fast.

[Modified by Muckman, 10:40 AM 11/5/2001]
Old 11-05-2001, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (IN VTEC)

You're not shifting correctly. You're letting the rpm's drop too quickly b/w shifts so that when you let the clutch back out quickly, the engine's having to speed up REAL quick to catch up to the tranny.

If you're feeling that much shock from the shift....imagine how much driveline shock your engine and tranny are having to deal with.
this is doubtful, seeing as my car does the same thing when I am really racing (not just some ****** stoplight battle), the RPMs aren't dropping enough.

when I am really want to get some good times on the quarter, I will take my foot off the gas, and I will put my clutch in about 1/4 of the way as soon as I hit 8krpm, but I shift before the rpms get back down under 7krpm, and I am gassing it and removing the clutch so the clutch engages at 7500rpm into second and third and fourth.

I don't do this on the street, and I don't race on the track anymore, because this is too much stress, and I am not going to go to the track and give any less than 100%.

but here is a story of what breaks when you shift like this.

datsun: 2 clutches exploded and one transmission.
74 bug: 2 clutches (within 2 weeks of eachother) one transaxle (to my credit the tranny was the original with over 200k miles)
integra: 1 clutch (didn't blow it up, but I poped out the springs on the stock clutch)

now I used to race quite often, but when shifting is causing this much damage I can wait till I can afford a second car to fart around in.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:36 AM
New User

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (samagon)

well I broke a motor mount in my 96' vw gti and when I would step on the gas and put it under heavy load before I knew what was going on it would make the engine like lift up and then slam back down.. does your car do any kind of knocking under load? or does it just do it when you change gears.. because if it knocks at all and feels like it's turning more rpm then it really is you might have a broken motor mount although I don't know much about honda/acura's so dont quote me on this stuff..
Old 11-05-2001, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (gsrpowered95)

after reading these situations i started thinking. Check out this situation: when i purchased my 94LS over 2 years ago it had 70K on the clock....no big deal. well maintained and completely stock with the exception of tires. I was able to chirp 2nd grear with some effort...but not abuse. Now, with mods i can no longer chirp 2nd gear even when driving it like i stole it. The car is without a doubt noticeably faster but no 2nd gear chirp.

a few theories of my own:
--clutch is wearing out over time. It is original clutch but i didnt think they wore out this quick for a driver that doesnt drag race and my previous car was a 5sp so i didnt mess it up learning. However the car has 119K on the clock but again, didnt think this happened this soon.

--motor mounts?? Im up to suggestions on this one. read from the previous responses that some of you reported the engine mounts of various cars failed....could this be the case??

Im open to your comments and suggestions.

TIA
Old 11-05-2001, 12:24 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (maxxdout)

Yeah im starting to think that its my fault. Not from too slow shifting but from a right foot that is too slow. I think that maybe im not giving enough gas fast enough so its kinda like dropping the clutch at 7k rpms. That is what I think causes the violent bang. So maybe tonight im gonna go out and try more gas sooner and see what happens
Old 11-05-2001, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that maybe im not giving enough gas fast enough so its kinda like dropping the clutch at 7k rpms. That is what I think causes the violent bang. So maybe tonight im gonna go out and try more gas sooner and see what happens
actually, this isn't going to solve your problem, when shifting into 2nd from first at redline, your rpm (for a shift where engine rpm will match driving speed, your rpm will have to be down at about 4500-5000 rpms. the farther you are away from this number the more violent the clutch engagement will be, and if you slip the clutch in, you are losing as much as if you let your rpm calm down to 4500.
Old 11-05-2001, 01:48 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (samagon)

I know exactly what your talking about but I was thinking if I give more gas sooner then it might help to break the tires loose a little more so it will be a little less violent. Like I said before sometimes I get a real nice chirp that isn't violent and sometimes all hell breaks loose
Old 11-05-2001, 02:31 PM
Moderator in Chief

Drive up to Rochester.. We'll practice together.. then Ill take u to the drag strip.
I dont think you doing anything 'wrong'
Old 11-05-2001, 02:39 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (Muckman)

Rochester? Isn't that like far away? like 3 hrs? what drag strip is up there?
Old 11-05-2001, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Not your car's fault, it's yours.

It's the way you shift.

Be nice to your car dude. You pay all this money for a vehicle and then go jerking the engine around like it's head-bangin'.

I've done this before too, now I'm "kinder" with my shifts.
Old 11-05-2001, 08:52 PM
Moderator in Chief

its prob more like 5... i wasnt serious anyways
there is a shity drag strip about 45 mins away from me called NY International Speedway. Its in a town called Leicester or something.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Anyone know why this happens? (Muckman)

ttt