Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

AC Compressor / Switch Testing Replacing

Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor / Switch Testing Replacing

Quick rundown of situation: 1992 Acura Integra GSR 1.7

Previous owner took off A/C, I don't want to sweat my ***** off so i'm in the process of hooking it back up. Previous owner said A/C compressor was good, but that the wiring harness was bad. I pulled the entire harness from a junkyard and put that on along with the condenser, compressor, hoses, new o-rings, new filter/drier etc. It has been retrofitted to r134a, I took the car to a shop to get it put on vacuum to see if any leaks and get an evac n recharge. It was completely empty held a vaccum for 45 mins or so and took 30 ounces of refrigerant. However, my A/C light will still not come on, and the compressor is doing nothing.

I am not great with working on cars but I try and do some research.
I have checked the fuses (fuse 20 - 15A & fuse 17 - 7.5A) and they visually appear to be fine, I haven't tested them yet but I plan on it. Or will just replace with new ones.
I haven't checked my relay's yet.

Notes:
My Blower Fan is working on all 4 levels, the heat blows just fine.

Questions:
Basically where would you suggest starting, check the relays? check the a/c switch?

If I replace the A/C Switch, it seems like a pretty straightforward process do I just remove the ****, then trim piece, remove the screw and the switch is directly behind the button?

I called acura parts to bug them and of course it is a discontinued part lol,

but autozone has this image for A/C switch: (says cut-off as well)

but the other ones I have seen look very different as in this:

Are these completely different parts, and which one do I need?

Any help/advice is appreciated. Want to get this taken care of before it's hot as ***** outside.

References:
G2IC - ac not working
G2IC - A/C Switch Failure

Last edited by civiceagle2; 04-21-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AC Compressor / Switch Testing Replacing

Also here are some pictures of the harness that I put in, just cause pictures make everything more awesome.

The harness just ran along here behind the radiator and was plug-n-play.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The above is a universal/retrofit A/C pressure switch, should be use when retrofitting to 134A, it should be an adjustable pressure switch, hole at back of switch will have an adjustment screw.

I would start at the relay, jump it to see if compressor clutch engages, if so test for a ground at one of the relay terminals as you turn on the A/C , ign on and blower on one of the speeds.

The relay will have one 12V constant terminal, one 12V switched terminal, [hot in run.ign on] one terminal that goes to ground when A/C is turned on, the last terminal is the compressor clutch, [it will test as a ground],

Feel free to IM me for more info... 94
Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a better picture of the engine wiring harness.

It looks like there is one relay on the passenger side and two on the drivers side. I'm assuming the two on driver's side are: compressor clutch relay , compressor fan relay. I was going to grab these from a junkyard today but I went back and the integra got crushed : ( I live in Indianapolis and I can't locate another one at a junkyard. Called all around and someone said they had a 87 and then a couple DC's around. Also found two 92 or so Acura Legends. Does anyone know off hand whether they use similar relays / a/c switch.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:50 AM
fcm
Old Fart

You can find that relay in most Honda/Acura, it is a common one used in our cars. 94
Old 04-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a new relay from autozone and tried switching it out with no changes. Took a look at my ac button switch, never had the light coming on. I look it apart to inspect it but didn't see anything noticeably wrong with it. I took a small video of me pressing the button and didn't see anything happening to close the circuit.

Other notes:
Had AC system evac and recharged and added 30 oz of refrigerant and no leaks.
The AC compressor clutch is not kicking on.
There is a pitch change when I press the button. (RPM's go up a little bit)
All 4 fan speeds work and heat works fine.

Images and videos:

http://vid1155.photobucket.com/album...072552F4C2.mp4

I read on a forum that it was common for the ac switch / resistor inside to go bad. I am thinking about taking it to an service center where I got it recharged and see if they can diagnose where the issue is. If it was the switch that was bad, would I just need to get one from a junkyard?
Old 04-26-2016, 07:38 AM
fcm
Old Fart

To test switch, check for a ground going to the switch from the blower speed control, green lead, should test as a ground when blower speed is set to any speed.

If good, check for a ground out of the A/C switch when on, blue/red lead should test as ground when blower on, any speed, and A/C switch is on.

You can also test for a ground at the A/C pressure switch, both leads, when blower is on and A/C switch is on.

Do the above tests and let me know what you find. 94