Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

95 gsr high idle 2000rpm+ need assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 gsr high idle 2000rpm+ need assistance

95 gsr with under 6xxx after rebuild. idle problem started at 1100 and overtime it arose to 2200. sometimes fluctuates. it happened after i changed my stock ecu to a chipped one. i changed back to the stock ecu and still idles crazy. idk why it would have done this. no cel problem besides 02 but dosent comeup because the chipped ecu. checked for vaccum leak. i cleaned all the sensors. i have an aftermarket throttle body im gonna take it apart and clean it and change the gasket again. other than that anyone have any ideas on why it would cause such a crazy idle?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 gsr high idle 2000rpm+ need assistance

Only two things i can think of, one you already have. Vacuum leak somewhere hidden. If the car is not too loud crank it without the intake pipe on the throttle body, slowly cover the intake with a flat piece of metal or wood (you can also use your hand but it is a little uncomfortable) big enough that it will cover the whole diameter, and listen for a hissing that will get louder if it is a leak. Second check the IACV, Or the other one i cant think of the name off head (that is the one that operates with motor temp. It has a thermal valve, the plastic screw in it likes to come out. I really don't even know if it has one. I need to look at my gsr a little closer i just got it.) Sorry for the rambling by the way. There should be a hole for it in the throttle body, stick you finger in it if it stops idling high that is the problem. Be careful though it may be sharp. I found a pulsing idle problem this way in my 90 B16. It could be something similar. Mine was not sharp but it has a lot of suction. Cleaning the throttle body prob wont help this is an air bypass symptom. Cleaning would fix a clog.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Third thought. Is the flaper valve open a little try to turn it towards closed position. I had a 72mm TB on the 90 and it would never close all of the way. Had an idle of about 1000rpm till i forced it closed then it went to 800. It also stuck a lot. BLOX go figure.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondad6
Third thought. Is the flaper valve open a little try to turn it towards closed position. I had a 72mm TB on the 90 and it would never close all of the way. Had an idle of about 1000rpm till i forced it closed then it went to 800. It also stuck a lot. BLOX go figure.
yeah my throttle body gets stuck alot im thinking that may be the problem. but i had the throttle body on for a few months now. i had no idle problems until recently. itsd an edlebrock 65mm ill try to push it in more see if that works. most likely its the throttle body "/
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me know what you find out good luck.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Only two things i can think of, one you already have. Vacuum leak somewhere hidden. If the car is not too loud crank it without the intake pipe on the throttle body, slowly cover the intake with a flat piece of metal or wood (you can also use your hand but it is a little uncomfortable) big enough that it will cover the whole diameter, and listen for a hissing that will get louder if it is a leak. Second check the IACV, Or the other one i cant think of the name off head (that is the one that operates with motor temp. It has a thermal valve, the plastic screw in it likes to come out. I really don't even know if it has one. I need to look at my gsr a little closer i just got it.) Sorry for the rambling by the way. There should be a hole for it in the throttle body, stick you finger in it if it stops idling high that is the problem. Be careful though it may be sharp. I found a pulsing idle problem this way in my 90 B16. It could be something similar. Mine was not sharp but it has a lot of suction. Cleaning the throttle body prob wont help this is an air bypass symptom. Cleaning would fix a clog.
I believe the term your looking for is FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve). As far as I know they are only on '96 and older integras so his should have one.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, When does it have a 2200rpm idle? Only during a cold start? Does it idle normally once normal operating temps have been reached?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think 2200rpm is too high for it to indicate a problem with the fitv.
if the fitv is stuck/sticking, it will stay in regular fast idle, or rise and drop from fast to slow idle. somewhere around 1500rpm and below.
i would definitely look at your butterfly valve in the throttlebody, being that it's aftermarket. the stopper may not be allowing it to close completely. but then, i would think the problem wouldn't have gradually gotten worse. sounds more like a leak.
what method did you use to check for leaks?
have you checked ignition timing?
cleaned/tried another iacv?
i'd probably try the stock throttlebody on just to pinpoint, if you still have it.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you need to tighten up your intake manifold
Old 06-20-2011, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
I believe the term your looking for is FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve).
That is the one idk why i could not think of the term.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is the one idk why i could not think of the term.
hella late on the post but if you guys ever read this i found the problem. my intake manifold gasket blew out on me. i was on a carb spray frenzie sprayin everything and i foundout that way haha.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jason P
yeah my throttle body gets stuck alot im thinking that may be the problem. but i had the throttle body on for a few months now. i had no idle problems until recently. itsd an edlebrock 65mm ill try to push it in more see if that works. most likely its the throttle body "/
I had the 65mm edlebrock before, it did the samething as your did, worked great for awhile but later kept on getting stuck. tried everything I could think off but fail. I picked up sk2 68mm and that solved my problem.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by japanmade
I had the 65mm edlebrock before, it did the samething as your did, worked great for awhile but later kept on getting stuck. tried everything I could think off but fail. I picked up sk2 68mm and that solved my problem.
yeah they suck donkey d**k. i just got an oem itr tb now.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

check your tps sensor!!!! $5 says its your tps
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah my throttle body gets stuck alot im thinking that may be the problem. itsd an edlebrock 65mm ill try to push it in more see if that works. most likely its the throttle body "/

Sell me your edlebrock for cheap... Cuz I know the fix.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hella late on the post but if you guys ever read this i found the problem. my intake manifold gasket blew out on me. i was on a carb spray frenzie sprayin everything and i foundout that way haha.
Thanks for following up.
Was your issue only showing on cold starts, or even after reaching operating temp?
Please let me know, I am having high idle on cold starts only.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DSMAddicted
Thanks for following up.
Was your issue only showing on cold starts, or even after reaching operating temp?
Please let me know, I am having high idle on cold starts only.
it was always on a high idle. but it stoped after i changed the intake manifold gasket. um idk good luck finding your problem. theres hecka stuff u can check just make sure u have no vaccume leaks, throttle cable isnt stuck, gaskets are good, tb clean, etc. GL.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it was always on a high idle. but it stoped after i changed the intake manifold gasket. um idk good luck finding your problem. theres hecka stuff u can check just make sure u have no vaccume leaks, throttle cable isnt stuck, gaskets are good, tb clean, etc. GL.
Ok thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring this back? My 96 gsr revs to 2200 I'd like to quickly diagnose it. There is a open line pointing toward the battery with no line on it (on the tb) and the cable seems a bit sticky... I'm hoping something other than the Im gasket it's all oem

Pics more info later

Last edited by SiRCiviC94; 05-11-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, it seems I have a problem like this. I have been to 3 mechanics. All of them are a bit confused. 05 Accord, check engine light hasn't ever came on, no codes being thrown up, and only messes up in warm weather. It idles 2000+ rpm, and if I put it in gear, the idle is normal. Shifted hard the first time it did this to me so I quit driving it when it does this. Is there a sensor that could be going bad? No one has found a leak and when its cold, it runs perfect. HELP!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you're not bringing it to the right place.
the reason why it runs fine cold is because the ecm runs in open loop until operating temp is met. once operating temp is met, the ecm reads information from multiple inputs/sensors to determine things like fuel trim, timing and IACV duty cycle.

you need to bring it to a place that will datalog the ecm inputs and see if they notice anything out of the ordinary.
not just check for codes and make sure the o2 is switching
Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by el crapitan
i think 2200rpm is too high for it to indicate a problem with the fitv.
if the fitv is stuck/sticking, it will stay in regular fast idle, or rise and drop from fast to slow idle. somewhere around 1500rpm and below.
i would definitely look at your butterfly valve in the throttlebody, being that it's aftermarket. the stopper may not be allowing it to close completely. but then, i would think the problem wouldn't have gradually gotten worse. sounds more like a leak.
what method did you use to check for leaks?
have you checked ignition timing?
cleaned/tried another iacv?
i'd probably try the stock throttlebody on just to pinpoint, if you still have it.
Not necessarily, Mine kept fluctuating from 700-3,000 rpms at start up and calmed down when it reached operating temp. Cleaned out the fitv, put it back on and it was fine after that.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^good to know
Old 05-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just had the same problem. a way to diagnose if it is either iacv or fitv is to take off your intake while the car is running, you will have two holes that are inside the throttle body, but before the throttle plate, while the car is running, plug the top hole with your finger, if it doesnt change anything then the iacv isnt your problem. then take your hand off that hole and plug the bottom hole, if it lowers the idle or dies, then the fitv is the problem. i just had to do this for my car and it was the fitv. took 15 mins to fix, just take off the throttle body, and then unbolt the back of the fitv and tighten the white plastic piece all the way tight. problem solved.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the tb has to come off aeehhhhhh

Quick Reply: 95 gsr high idle 2000rpm+ need assistance