Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

44.2 miles / .78 gallons of gas = 56.6 mpg. Yeah, I don't believe it either. Will udpate.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 44.2 miles / .78 gallons of gas = 56.6 mpg. Yeah, I don't believe it either. Will udpate.

I know, pple are gonna throw BS flags. Personally, I don't belive it either, so I have to back it up at least 2 more times w/50 + mpg b4 I believe it.

YES, I know how to calc. gas mileage, and heres how I do it.

I go to the same pump at the same station, fill up to the first click ( I fill slowly when it's starting to get full), set the OD @ zero and divide the miles travled by the gallons of gas used.

I filled up yesterday evening using the above method, did about 5 or so miles of city driving. This morning, I drove to work, in fairly cool weather (low 60's in FL) shifting at 2,000 rpm, taking my granny sweet time getting to 2,000 rpm and drove about 55 mph (2800-3000 RPM cruising and give or take a few mph. NO cruise control was used ever). No AC this morning and I had the sunroof open on the way back, still NO AC.

Get back, fill up.. Bam. first click came a lil over 7.. and I was like "hell no.." so I clicked it several more times till I had .78 gallons. Like $2.xx something worth of gas.

I was freakin shocked.

SOOOO.. I know pple are gonna call BS, which again, I have to check myself because it should not be this high, but I drove extremely granny like, and nobody does that. Our cars mileage is dependant on throttle pressure, so I used as little as humanly possible during my trip.

I'll keep an update goin. I'm gonna go riding tonight just to check my mileage again. I'll update then.

Untill then, 56.6 mpg. :>
As a side note, in my 96 Accord EX sedan (5 spd) I've hit 36.6 and I backed it up 2 weeks later w/a 35.x and 37.x the week afterwards.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 44.2 miles / .78 gallons of gas = 56.6 mpg. Yeah, I don't believe it either. Will udpate. (mac_2

That's much too small a sample size to calculate MPG.

I'll give you my car if you can drive 300 miles at > 50 MPG.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:44 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Re: 44.2 miles / .78 gallons of gas = 56.6 mpg. Yeah, I don't believe it either. Will udpate. (mac_2

Just out of curiousity -- why the hell would you bother filling up after only driving 44 miles?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 AM

yea you cant measure MPG by using not even a gallon of gas. go to at least 1/2 tank and then calculate that 2-3 times. and get back to us. my ls swap in my eg with a gsr trans gets between 28-34mpg i check every fill up.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I may drive to Tallahassee tonight (about 60 miles to where I'd end up at).
It would be straight highway driving.

And what you said is right, it's too small of a sample.

If thats the case, I could get what.. lets do the math.

(all hypothetically here)
Lets say I ran it empty. Our tanks hold 13 gallons.
I went 56.6 on .78 gallons.

Lets say, for the sake of math and to make it easier, I used .75 gallons still at 56.5 mpg.
Thats 18.8x per 1/4 gallon (56.5 / .75) , so that would be actually 75.3 MPG (impossible).

75.3 mpg X 13 gallons = 978.9 total miles.

freakin triple what pple average for this car.

I absolutely HAD to have done something wrong. But I don't know what. I filled w/the intention of checking my MPG, drove w/that intention and filled it, just to check it. I did the math right..
I do it the same every time.

Maybe I was at a lil diff angle or something and it filled earlier or maybe even the first time and over filled it and this time under filled it or soemthing, I dunno.

Even if I'm wrong and say I actually used 1 gallon of gas, that would be 44 mpg even: still crazy good and still un-likely.

Like I said, I'm gonna check it again, because the #'s add up fantasy like. Freakin HF CRX's and VX civics don't get that good (though I have seen 60's out of both).
I'll update tonight after I drive a while.
I'll see if I can get 100 miles or so. I'm interested in this.

Oh, nd I filled up at 44 miles because the rest of the day would be city driving and I wanted to have as much highway driving as possible..Plus it was on the way home
I'm admitting I must have done something wrong because it's too good. I'll get back w/ya
Old 04-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lame, come back when you've driven a whole tank with good gas mileage. Until then, i don't care how far you went on .78 gallons. That's way too small of a sample size.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mac_24_seven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lets say, for the sake of math and to make it easier, I used .75 gallons still at 56.5 mpg.
Thats 18.8x per 1/4 gallon (56.5 / .75) , so that would be actually 75.3 MPG (impossible).

75.3 mpg X 13 gallons = 978.9 total miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>
huh?? your math sucks. using .75 gallons at 56.5mpg is still 56.5mpg.

.75ga used @ 56.5mi/1ga = 42.375 miles driven... 42.375 miles / .75ga = 56.5mpg

i have no idea how you got 75.3mpg.

anyway, as for the original topic at hand.. sample size is way too small. you also don't know for sure that it's clicking to a stop at the same point. come back when you've used at least half a tank.

edit &gt; i see what you did..

((56.5mi/1ga) / 0.75ga)... which is equal to 75.333 mi/1ga^2... see how that means nothing?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Re: (reno96teg)

I think the key here is when the pump shut off. Most likely more fuel was put in when you fueled up the 2nd time.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tim2179)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tim2179 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the key here is when the pump shut off. Most likely more fuel was put in when you fueled up the 2nd time.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i think the key here is that his math is wacked, and the sample size is way too small.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Re: (reno96teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reno96teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think the key here is that his math is wacked, and the sample size is way too small.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually his math is correct. 44.2 / .78 = 56.66, but yes the sample size is too small.

edited - okay - I looked at his second mathmatical post and yes, it is whacked. .75 does NOT equal 1/4 gallon, that would be 3/4 gallons. Where the hell does this 18.8 number come from that you used?

For future reference, just calculate your MPG on a full tank and not these 40 mile trips.

Modified by Tim2179 at 2:57 PM 4/14/2006

Modified by Tim2179 at 2:59 PM 4/14/2006
Old 04-14-2006, 11:21 AM

run your gas tank until you can easily remember where your meter was when you filled up. Fill up x amount of gallons then run it out until you hit the same spot on the fuel meter. Divide your total miles by your gallons.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:59 PM

yeah... sample is way too small to get excited over... the greater the sample the more accurate your results will be. i calculate my mileage on 6 month sample... yes i track how many gallons of gas i pump every time...

temperature probably played a major role in your sample. when you filled up the second time your gas was probably warmer taking up a bit more volume in your tank.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JETSPD1477)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tim2179 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Where the hell does this 18.8 number come from that you used?</TD></TR></TABLE>

18.8 X 3 = 56.4
18.8 x 4 = 75.2

18.8= miles i went per 1/4 of a gallon.

Check it, I drove a total of 78 miles goin to the in-laws. I drove a constant 3000 RPm except on the Interstate when I was about to get run over by a semi Even then I NEVER went over 3400 RPM. FYI, ppel don't like you driving 55-60 mph on the interstate.. hehehe

Anyway, I filled up.. 1.7 gallons = 45.8 mpg. Thats flat out hilly highway driving at a constant 3000 rpm (give or take a few hundred RPM)

I'll fill up b4 I leave town and check my mileage on the way back. We'll see if I can back it up.

I belive this is MUCH more accurate than the 56.x b4. I still don't knwo why, but it had to be just wrong. :S

So, 45.8 mpg is where it's at.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mac_24_seven)

yeah,

I drove for two and a hlaf hours a few times going to and from a friends house,
And somehow my little B18A1 with 250K miles got alittle over 40MPG,
That was also the first time I didnt dog it at all, I was carefull,
Yeah but hit higher rpms and its all over, btw its a 90 Integra rs
Old 04-14-2006, 05:34 PM

Default Re: (mac_24_seven)

This is the most retarded thread ever.

You can't judge MPG by driving such a short distance. Maybe you filled your tank up, reset the odometer, and then when you filled your tank up again - you didn't fill it up all the way. That would affect your mpg.

Try to drive 1000 miles on your tank and see how far you get.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kowalski)

To the guy that started this post, drive for a full tank and use the same math. I guarantee your number will be much less than the ones you previously posted. After that, do it two or three more times and post the average of the mpg of all of the trips combined.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Okay people, the ONLY way to accurately determine real MPG figures is to fill up with gas to the absolute brim, where you can see the gasoline at the top of the filler hole, just short of overflowing. Other than that, there is absolutely no way of being certain that you're filling it up to the same level every time. For the record, I have been filling my tank in this manner, to the absolute brim, every time for nearly 4 years now, and I have been keeping mpg records the entire time. My best figure on a full tank is about 36.4 mpg, after driving about 300 miles. My highest mileage on a single tank is about 410.

Now, one day last year during the gas price surge right after Katrina, I filled up one morning before work, made my round trip, and filled up again right before I got home. I was commuting 100+ miles per day at that time, stayed below 3K rpm, and filled up to the absolute brim both times. I put in less than 3 gallons, which worked out to about 38 mpg. I'm not calling that my best mpg figure because of the small sample, but it is what it is. The numbers don't lie when you fill it up to the exact same level as I do every time.

Now, why would you NOT use the cruise control when trying to acheive optimum mpg? Your leg cannot keep the car going a constant speed all the time, and anytime the car drops below your desired speed, you open the throttle to speed back up, which uses more gas. Cruise control keeps that to a minimum and thus is better for gas mileage.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay people, the ONLY way to accurately determine real MPG figures is to fill up with gas to the absolute brim, where you can see the gasoline at the top of the filler hole, just short of overflowing. Other than that, there is absolutely no way of being certain that you're filling it up to the same level every time. For the record, I have been filling my tank in this manner, to the absolute brim, every time for nearly 4 years now, and I have been keeping mpg records the entire time. My best figure on a full tank is about 36.4 mpg, after driving about 300 miles. My highest mileage on a single tank is about 410.

Now, one day last year during the gas price surge right after Katrina, I filled up one morning before work, made my round trip, and filled up again right before I got home. I was commuting 100+ miles per day at that time, stayed below 3K rpm, and filled up to the absolute brim both times. I put in less than 3 gallons, which worked out to about 38 mpg. I'm not calling that my best mpg figure because of the small sample, but it is what it is. The numbers don't lie when you fill it up to the exact same level as I do every time.

Now, why would you NOT use the cruise control when trying to acheive optimum mpg? Your leg cannot keep the car going a constant speed all the time, and anytime the car drops below your desired speed, you open the throttle to speed back up, which uses more gas. Cruise control keeps that to a minimum and thus is better for gas mileage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Filling the tank up to the brim is not a good idea. It clicks and stops pumping for a reason.

Also, cruise control opens the throttle as well. If you don't believe me, buy a boost gauge and hook it up to a vacuum source.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kowalski)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kowalski &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Filling the tank up to the brim is not a good idea. It clicks and stops pumping for a reason.

Also, cruise control opens the throttle as well. If you don't believe me, buy a boost gauge and hook it up to a vacuum source.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been doing it this way for 4 years and 109,000 miles with every fill-up recorded on an Excel spreadsheet. I'm still averaging ~32 mpg with 227,000 miles on my engine. Care to elaborate on how it's not a good idea? It clicks and stops to keep it from overflowing inadvertently. After that I continue pumping very slowly and carefully to get it up to the very top so I can keep the most accurate MPG records. To this day I have never once overflowed gasoline all down the side of the car.

I know cruise control opens the throttle on occasion. It has to in order to maintain speed. But it does it in very small amounts as it constantly monitors road speed vs. set speed. When you're driving with your foot on the gas pedal, you're not continually watching the speedomoter 100% of the time, and you so you're not adjusting throttle opening to maintain speed as often as cruise control is. You end up opening the throttle more when you fall below your desired speed, whereas cruise would have opened it just a little bit immediately when the set speed began to fall. Frequent small throttle adjustments is better for fuel economy than less frequent larger throttle adjustments.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree.. too small of a sample.

Finish the tank off first, then calculate your findings.

And use your odometer reading divided by the number of gallons filled up with.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

i got 285 miles from only 7.5 gallons on a trip i made last year, and i wasnt pussyfooting at 55 either. this included a wot freeway merge, and driving 70-75. non-reformulated gas FTW
Old 04-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My best figure on a full tank is about 36.4 mpg, after driving about 300 miles. </TD></TR></TABLE>

DAMN! Perhaps I should stop red-lining every gear...I'm lucky if I get 25 mpg.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Default Re: (wreckedmyteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wreckedmyteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DAMN! Perhaps I should stop red-lining every gear...I'm lucky if I get 25 mpg. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i hope youre kidding.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (benb18a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by benb18a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope youre kidding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL

yeah, ur gonna have a few more problems than just mpg. i consistantly get 27mpg driving to and from school every day (about 5 miles) and around 32 on highway going ~3200 rpm's when i drive home. M/T of course.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (benb18a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by benb18a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope youre kidding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course he was, he wouldn't even get 20 mpg if he redlined every gear (i.e. like in track driving). I remember somebody with an ITR reported like 15 or 17 mpg average during either an ITR Expo or some other track weekend or something.

Quick Reply: 44.2 miles / .78 gallons of gas = 56.6 mpg. Yeah, I don't believe it either. Will udpate.