Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

1994 LS Wheel/Tire size issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 LS Wheel/Tire size issue

Hello, recently i purchased a new set of all season tires for my integra that are occasionally rubbing against what i believe is the fender. They are slightly larger than the previous tires. The previous tires were 195/55/15 and the new ones are 205/60/15. My Integra is at stock height. I did the math, and the new tires are only .6th (16mm) of an inch larger in total diameter, so i was suprised to find that they rubbed. Its really only on big bumps/dips at higher speeds, or most annoyingly, when i have passengers. Then its more common.

I dont really want to go back to the OEM size smaller tire, I love the traction and how much quieter and more absorbent they are as far as noise and bumps. But i realize OEM is OEM for a reason... Because that's what works best.

I Have been planning on upgrading the suspension. The current suspension is composed of those cheap EBay DNA dampers and springs, and i want something more supportive. Is it possible that a suspension upgrade, such as stiffer shocks or springs, could eliminate the tire rubbing? Im thinking that stiffer suspension will reduce how far the wheel travels, or at least make it harder to bottom out and rub. Or is wheel size/rolling fenders my only option? Thanks for any help! If pics are needed i will take some!
Old 12-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 1994 LS Wheel/Tire size issue

That tire is 1.3" taller than stock. Either revert to the factory size, or raise the car
Old 12-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you have suspension issues or some crazy offset rims I can't see how you might be rubbing, the tires are definitely over-sized but the stock ride height is so crazy high I cant imagine it rubbing at factory height. I've got my car dropped an inch and it isn't even close to being able to rub and my offset is pushed out to 35 on top of that.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
unless you have suspension issues or some crazy offset rims I can't see how you might be rubbing, the tires are definitely over-sized but the stock ride height is so crazy high I cant imagine it rubbing at factory height. I've got my car dropped an inch and it isn't even close to being able to rub and my offset is pushed out to 35 on top of that.
Yeah theres still a good size gap between the fender/well and the tire. I think it may be that my Shocks and Springs are too worn. The car does feel boaty at times. Im going to get new ones soon. Ill be ordering KYG Excell-g (gr2) and these Neuspeed springs that are supposedly stock height. Im just not too sure if they will be stiff enough. Cant seem to find much info on them but they are on a few sites. Here they are.

https://autoplicity.com/91354-neuspeed-55-20-20-stock-height-springs?1&gclid=CjwKCAiAl7PgBRBWEiwAzFhmms0Dwht3Vt IB6REfnESAmGnq-eBmrU6zcLMtQ0-ibVd-IMfOR8sFCxoC4GUQAvD_BwE
Old 12-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been running KYB AGX shocks with H&R OE sport springs. The springs mimic the Type r spring rates and mild drop, similar to Type R drop .75 to 1 inch approx.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been running KYB AGX shocks with H&R OE sport springs. The springs mimic the Type r spring rates and mild drop, similar to Type R drop .75 to 1 inch approx.
With my oversized tires, I definetly couldnt go any lower. Other than those Neuspeed springs I posted in my l last reply, do you know of any springs that are stock height?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GreatWave
That tire is 1.3" taller than stock. Either revert to the factory size, or raise the car
thank you! My math was definitely flawed
Old 12-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At 1.3 inches larger diameter on those tires, the radius is only .65 inches closer towards the fender, so almost any moderate lowering spring should be safe, I think the only reason you are getting rubbing is because your current suspension is bounding up an down and out of control. A good spring / shock combo that properly controls your vehicle should work.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At 1.3 inches larger diameter on those tires, the radius is only .65 inches closer towards the fender, so almost any moderate lowering spring should be safe, I think the only reason you are getting rubbing is because your current suspension is bounding up an down and out of control. A good spring / shock combo that properly controls your vehicle should work.
Im either gonna go with KYB AGX or Excell 2. But those orange Yonaka coilovers always interested me. They are much stiffer than stock. I actually emailed yonaka awhile back and they said that at their highest, their coilovers are 1 inch less than stock. Do you think id be okay going down another inch with my oversize tires? Or should i go with a KYB/stock spring setup to be safe. Thanks again!