Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

A\C gurus needed badly

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A\C gurus needed badly

Okay, so I went racing at Buttonwillow a couple months ago, and the bolt that holds the AC idler pulley broke.

The belt shredded, and in the process, shredded the two wires that power the field coil in the compressor.

So, I took the compressor clutch assembly all apart, and soldered new wires onto the field coil. Put it all back together...and it doesn't work.

Then I buy a re-manufactured clutch and coil set. Apparently the compressors between the early and late model Integras were different, because the coil they send me has a slightly different connector. I say **** it, snip the connector off of my old one, and solder it on. Put it all back together...it doesn't work.

Last night I find a full compressor and clutch and everything, off a 2000 GS-R, working when it was taken off the 2000. I install it last night at my father-in-law's shop. He's got two little cans of R134, so we put everything they have left in the system, and it still won't turn on. It wasn't much though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the pressure switch is keeping it off at that point.

I had a big new can of R134 at home, so I take the car home, and try to fill it. Turnt he car on, crank the AC like the can says to, and attach the nozzle.

This can has a gauge on it, and the gauge is already saying the low side is at 100psi, and it's only supposed to be at 25-45psi, and anything over 65psi you're not supposed to try and fill it more. I know for sure that the two little cans didn't have enough to try and fill it.

I've got the manual off hondahookup and I already went through the diagnostic procedure and tested the AC relay in the underhood fuse box, I've checked the fuse, I've even checked the wire from the AC relay to the compressor, so I'm fairly sure all the electronics are working.

Is there something I'm doing wrong in the filling process, or does anyone have any other ideas to check?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I requested a short story for a title.

Default Re: A\C gurus needed badly

did you check the pressure switch?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is an o-ring for the switch also that might be bad
Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had tried jumping the pressure switch, during most of those repair attempts, and still no go.

I actually just took it to a mechanic friend, and we started checking everything.

If we hooked battery power straight to the compressor, BAM it would kick on.

So it wasn't getting power through the normal system.

The relay was still clicking.
Jumped the pressure switch, nothing.
Tested continuity between the relay box terminal #1 and the compressor, the wire was good, so there were no opens between the box and the compressor connector.

Then we found it.

Tested terminal two on the relay box, where the battery power comes in. Nothing. So the AC switch in the dash was turning the relay on, and the connection to the compressor was good, and the pressure switch was fine, the problem was that there was no ****ing power to send.

Which makes me really annoyed, because that means I was probably chasing my tail on the damn compressor clutch and field coil. I mean, for sure the first field coil was toast because the wires were totally shredded, but after that, all the other things I tried were doing nothing at all because.

That also makes me wonder how the relay box got a problem, because I didn't have the AC on while I was racing, so it shouldn't have gotten shorted or popped then.

I suppose it's possible I goofed something electrical up while jumping switches and testing stuff, but these mysterious problems that appear when you're trying to fix something obvious further down the line...gah they drive me crazy.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mojo-Jojo
I had tried jumping the pressure switch, during most of those repair attempts, and still no go.

I actually just took it to a mechanic friend, and we started checking everything.

If we hooked battery power straight to the compressor, BAM it would kick on.

So it wasn't getting power through the normal system.

The relay was still clicking.
Jumped the pressure switch, nothing.
Tested continuity between the relay box terminal #1 and the compressor, the wire was good, so there were no opens between the box and the compressor connector.

Then we found it.

Tested terminal two on the relay box, where the battery power comes in. Nothing. So the AC switch in the dash was turning the relay on, and the connection to the compressor was good, and the pressure switch was fine, the problem was that there was no ****ing power to send.

Which makes me really annoyed, because that means I was probably chasing my tail on the damn compressor clutch and field coil. I mean, for sure the first field coil was toast because the wires were totally shredded, but after that, all the other things I tried were doing nothing at all because.

That also makes me wonder how the relay box got a problem, because I didn't have the AC on while I was racing, so it shouldn't have gotten shorted or popped then.

I suppose it's possible I goofed something electrical up while jumping switches and testing stuff, but these mysterious problems that appear when you're trying to fix something obvious further down the line...gah they drive me crazy.

Check the condensor fan fuse, the a/c clutch clutch won't engage if the condensor fan fuse is blown.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:06 PM

Did you vaccuum the system before charging it? Exactly how much refrigerant did you put in?