Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bleeding the 6th generation Civic cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding the 6th generation Civic cooling system

all right guys i need some help my d16y7 is overheats when i drive on a long trip... i cant figure it out. around town it doesnt do anything, drives fine no problem. i just went to pismo beach this weekend to go camping. right after i got off the freeway it starts to overheat. let the car sit overnight actually two nights didnt move it at all... on the way home got off the freeway and its starts to overheat again... sh*t! but heres the thing im driving around town and nothing is wrong no overheating i dont see the needle go above half way. did coolant and thermostat, checked all the holes no leaks. i do see my resevior overfilled to the top and slipping out though.

problems + maintains

-tapping (maybe valve adjustment)
-needs timing and water pump replaced (145K miles on motor)

anyone have the same problem that could help me out? schools started and im lower on cash but i need this to be fix before something else happens.....
Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Bleeding the 6th generation Civic cooling system

have you flushed out the system yet? you might have to back flush the coolant system. Is your radiator fan working properly? it doesn't run all the time but will when it needs too, also it is a very common problem for the fan relay switch to go bad, it's located in the underhood fuse panel right next to the battery and is not that expensive either. Another thing to check is make sure the radiator is free of anything that might be blocking the flow of air through it, use a garden hose with a spray nozzle or goto the carwash and use the wand there to clean it all out.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bleeding the 6th generation Civic cooling system

Bleeding the cooling system may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push/turn the dash heater lever/**** to MAX heat. Fan need not be on.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below
Attached Images  

Last edited by Former User; 03-20-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thanx guys... i might try to bleed the coolant system first cause i know my fan is turning on... Oh one other thing i found when i did the thermostat there is a rubber piece that goes around the piston of the thermostat and that piece had one big chuck of it missing.... do you guys know if that could cause a big enough problem to make the car overheat? as of right now that car isnt overheating at all.... tried pushing the sh*t out of it and nothing happens. this problem seems to be only after a couple of hours of driving... i hope the bleeding works.

if anything ill be back...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a brand new water pump kit and headgasket for sale for $100 if you need it! just puttin that out there! anyway, try getting a new t-stat gasket. it's like 3.49 at autozone. just throw some gasket sealer on it and drop it in.

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2638389
Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no im not talkin about the gasket around that goes around the housing im talkin about the piston inside the thermostat here a picture

http://www.shopresponse.com/arc_thermostat_b_series.jpg

the piston in the middle that had a big chuck missing... but i checked for leaks and nothing is leaking from where im looking thanx for the info i might take you up on that offer...
Old 09-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never have seen that happen before so I guess it's possible it might've gotten somewhere and blocking the flow maybe.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that pic the thermo u r using in the motor now ? and yea i nvr seen some sh#t like that b4
Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haah yea it looks like that... but i think the being shown is a b-series... not sure but look that same has a outer sealer and a inner one on the piston... it could be true that the piece that came off could be causing a block somewhere but why not overheat in town but only after driving on the freeway for a couple of hours. thats where im lost. this morning tried bleeding the system but i dont think i did it right. i opened the cap ran the car with heater on full blast saw that it was low on coolant added some water and i saw that there was bubbles and readded to fill to the top... im driving right now and nothing is wrong but the big test is when i get on the freeway and drive for 4 hours and we'll see what happens. sry if its kind of messy at school no time just came on to check for more info....