Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988-1991)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-15-2003, 06:33 AM   #1
CarAudiophile
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to CarAudiophile
Default Signs of Bad VTEC solenoid

Kinda curious on what some of the signs of a bad VTEC solenoid.

The promlem I am having on my B16A1 swap into a 89 DX Hatch, is the car will engage Vtec at 4300. And Rev Limit at 7000. The car does idle a little weird it will go down to normal then rise a little then go right back down. Maybe rising to the most of 1200 RPM. But its not a constant Idle problem. Only once in awhile.

Some were thinking my Tach was off but that would put me at 6000 RPM @ 70 Mph. Which doesn't sound right. I do have the Y1 tranny that came with car if you were curious on the gearing.

But this problem is kinda annoying and does not sound like the Tach. I feel no loss of power. There is no CEL lights and CEL light does work. I have not yet to pull the ECU out to where I can see it and drive it, someone said that if it is throwing a Code the ECU will have a Red light on it. Correct?.

Any help would be appreciated.

Some mentioned now it could be the VTEC solenoid thats why I was wondering what some of the signs were.
[b]Nitrous Express Wet Kit [/b]
[b]AEM Fuel Rail[/b]
[b]AEM Fuel Pressure Reg[/b]
[b]2G DSM Fuel Pump[/b]
[b]Apexi Vafc[/b]
[b]12.9 @ 108mph[/b]
[b][url="http://www.1320video.com"]http://www.1320video.com[/url] <--[b]DVD is Ready To go[/b]
CarAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:13 AM   #2
CarAudiophile
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to CarAudiophile
Default Re: Signs of Bad VTEC solenoid (CarAudiophile)

No Ideas?.
[b]Nitrous Express Wet Kit [/b]
[b]AEM Fuel Rail[/b]
[b]AEM Fuel Pressure Reg[/b]
[b]2G DSM Fuel Pump[/b]
[b]Apexi Vafc[/b]
[b]12.9 @ 108mph[/b]
[b][url="http://www.1320video.com"]http://www.1320video.com[/url] <--[b]DVD is Ready To go[/b]
CarAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
2001, 2003, 89, 96, accord, bad, civic, honda, odyssey, rough, solenoid, solonoid, symptoms, vtec, wet