Notices

Crankcase breather???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Prince of Zamunda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankcase breather???

What is a crank case filter?? The breather filter on the valve cover.. What's it's function? If it is supposed to filter it doesn't do a good job.... How and why I know... over 3 years of running RC's my friend ran a filter on his truck ( the crankcase breather) and well the internals were scratched with sand... So if they do filter go to a hobby store and get a motorsavers RC filter and a universal filter fit kit.. If you want the cooler look of the ApCrap filter go with a KNN but the Knn isn't so good at filtering. How ever it's better than all the ones made for the car.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (neuspeed)

i just got told last night from my buddy that runs on SCCA that i need a valve cover breather.... thats the lil filter on the valve cover
Old 10-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (USDM 4G VTEC)

Yes the Valve cover breather but isn't it called a crankcase filter
Old 10-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont use crankcase filters, run an oil catch can.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

um dude, the valve cover breather forces air out, not into the valve cover. the filter on a nitro glow engine serves as the intake filter. totally different, why are you bothering to compare the two?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um dude, the valve cover breather forces air out, not into the valve cover. the filter on a nitro glow engine serves as the intake filter. totally different, why are you bothering to compare the two?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, so i don't get why people have that valve cover mini me aem filter on there valve covers if the air is being pushed out?? just a coolness factor? let me know if i'm missing something...
Old 10-09-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (nousername)

the filter is there so no **** comes out and gets your motor dirty..
Old 10-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (nousername)

beats me. oil is just gonna drip from the filter anyway, but at least the vapor isnt going into the intake. like simbadogg said, just lead it to a catch can, dont bother attaching it back to the intake, its not necessary.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">beats me. oil is just gonna drip from the filter anyway, but at least the vapor isnt going into the intake. like simbadogg said, just lead it to a catch can, dont bother attaching it back to the intake, its not necessary.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea

when i dynoed my car 2 days ago.... at WOT air gets pushed out.... theres no need for that crap to go into intake...... put a filter and be done
Old 10-10-2003, 05:01 AM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (USDM 4G VTEC)

So it just gets pushed out... Then it's ok I thought air went in because that filter thing doesn't filter one bit......
Old 10-10-2003, 05:19 AM

A crankcase breather filter (whateverthehell you call em) is bad for you car.

Our engines have POSITIVE crank cases. Now how are they POSITIVE you ask? See that little tube comming off of the intake pipe? Well the air comming through your intake pipe actually sends air into that little tube, and that tube runs to your case... and in turn, pressureizes the crank case.

In we hade a negitive crank case, a breather would be fine... but because we have POSITIVE crank cases, its not ok to have a breather, and could result in engine damage.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (Doc_Honda)

Yes we have positive crankcases and that is why we have PCV (positive crankcase valves) on the intake manifold, that is what that little black plastic thing with the tube going back into the intake manifold does and as long as the PCV valve is working and the motor is healthy it will not blow any crap into the manifold.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (kid-honda)

Good discussion....
Old 10-10-2003, 07:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kid-honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes we have positive crankcases and that is why we have PCV (positive crankcase valves) on the intake manifold, that is what that little black plastic thing with the tube going back into the intake manifold does and as long as the PCV valve is working and the motor is healthy it will not blow any crap into the manifold. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually... PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. That little valve has little to do with keeping the crankcase pressurized.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (Doc_Honda)

hey doc, you got what we are talking about here very confused. we arent talking about the line from the crankcase thru the PCV valve and to the intake. we're talking about the valve cover breather line. but anyway, youre wrong, at both places, air gets pushed out and into the intake.

kid honda, you are very confused too. both of you please read the Helms manual before you spout of any misguided expertise.
http://www.binghamtonlife.com/...1.jpg

Modified by Tyson at 12:58 PM 10/10/2003
Old 10-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what line you guys are talking about, I run a breather on the all motor and turbo car(That I have built,I probly screwed up with both since I am spouting misguided expertise all the time). I was just trying to explaine the PCV and how that is what pressurizes. That line to the intake is to release excess pressure and the PCV valve and line is to pressurize. You cant pressurize a closed object without a bleed off. Do anything you want with that intake line, just dont plug it.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Prince of Zamunda

Why is there in the 1st place?? If u are going to replace it go with one that is for an RC engine
Old 10-11-2003, 09:22 AM

The breather is not good for your engine. The tube is/was there for a reason Do no use a breather filter!
Old 10-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (CRXican)

So they don't come with breather filters because I saw an Integra with one at the Honda dealer also an other integra too of the 2 they had there.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:49 PM
JTB

OK TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT..... THAT HOSE FROM THE INTAKE PIPE TO THE VALVE COVER IS TO BRING FRESH AIR INTO YOUR ENGINE SO THAT YOUR ENGINE DOES NOT BUILD UP PREUSSURE. IT DOES WORK WITH THE PCV VALVE. THE WAY IT WORKS WITH THE PCV VALVE IT ONLY LETS FRESH AIR IN THE CRANKCASE BUT NOT LETTING THE HOT,FUEL SATURATED GASES BACK INTO YOUR AIR INTAKE PIPE. THATS WHY IF YOUR PCV VALVE IS BAD ALOT OF THE TIME YOU WILL NOTICE OIL LEAKS EX. OIL PAN GASKET , VALVE COVER GASKET AND OTHER WEAK GASKETS THE EXTRA PRESSUSE MAKE OIL LEAKS AND OVERHEATS THE RUBBER SEALS IN YOUR ENGINE. THE BREATHER FILTERS ALSO LET MOISTURE INSIDE YOUR ENGINE WHICH IS NOT GOOD SOMETIMES GIVING HEADGASKET LIKE SYMPTOMS IF THE CONDITION ARE RIGHT ESP COLD WEATHER WITH SHORT DRIVING TIMES. I HAD A CAR COME IN LAST WINTER WITH THAT PROBLEM I WORK FOR A HONDA DEALERSHIP. IT IS QUITE COMMON TO SEE PROBLEMS OUT OF CARS WITH BREATHER FILTERS . IF ANY QUESTIONS JUST E MAIL
Old 10-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (KUSTOMKONCEPT)

please do NOT type in all caps...its very annoying
Old 10-11-2003, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (SimbaDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SimbaDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">please do NOT type in all caps...its very annoying</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (Grease Monkey)

So i'm still very confused as what to do?

Do you think having the hose attached there can cause you to run rich/blow smoke out of exhaust?
Old 10-12-2003, 04:38 AM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: Crankcase breather??? (sick hatchem)

I'm still confused?
Old 10-12-2003, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here's the fact of the matter...
crankcase breathers dont work well w/ hondas. they simply dont. if anything get an oil catch can. it will catch up any of the vapor that is spewed out and take the oil out of it. this will prevent the intake manifold from getting dirty and saturated w/ all that oily gunk stuff. (clean is good) on top of that it will also slightly increase the 'real' octane level that you motor actually gets from the gas you put in the tank.