Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

1993 Integra, New Pump, Troubleshooting No Fuel @ Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Integra, New Pump, Troubleshooting No Fuel @ Filter

hey all,

New member here. I've been using Honda-Tech since 2001, when I used the forums to build a 1991 Integra. My dad liked it so much he bought a 1993 Integra, Captiva Blue Pearl. When he moved to Texas last year, he left it with me to fix up and sell on his behalf.

Fast-forward to two weeks ago. I'm low on gas but make a wrong turn, miss the gas station, underestimate the distance to the next station and run out of fuel. Get a can of gas in town, put about 3 gallons in, won't start.

Car runs & drives the next day, won't run after the next time it's parked. I'm suspecting I overheated the fuel pump. ECU reads code #43. Diagnosis is confirmed by whacking the fuel tank with a hammer (car starts right up).

I order an aftermarket fuel pump and sock on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331269331229) and install it yesterday. Let the pump prime for about 10 seconds by cycling ignition key, try to start it...no fuel. Pop the bleeder valve on the top of the fuel filter open and cycle the pump; still no fuel. I spent 2-3 hours cycling the pump and cranking the engine. No leaks, but won't send fuel to the filter. I tried it with the gas cap off, I checked for a blocked fuel filter, I tried everything I could think of but still couldn't get fuel. The light on the dashboard's coming on, the ECU fuse isn't blown, I can hear the relay clicking and I can hear the fuel pump running (it's louder than the old one).

This morning, suspecting the aftermarket pump was bad, I get a Bosch fuel pump and install it. I check the FSM to make sure all lines and wires are hooked up correctly. I add another 4 gallons to the tank (7 total). Try and start the car using the instructions in the Bosch instructions. Symptoms remain the same. I disconnect the lines and blow the hoses, filter and fuel rail out, then fill the system backwards via the banjo bolts. The pump is receiving full battery voltage at the junction under the rear seat when the key is turned to the "on" position. I'm still not getting any fuel at the fuel filter.

Where should I start looking while trying to diagnose the issue? I couldn't find anything on the internet about an airlocked Honda/Acura, and it's my understanding (and Bosch's) that the pumps are self-priming. What is the likelihood of getting two bad fuel pumps in a row?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1993 Integra, New Pump, Troubleshooting No Fuel @ Filter

first New fuel Sock?
Second the clamp holding the hose to the pump or fuel line broke and the hose popped off.
Third Did you use the new pice of fuel line?
Was the inside of the tank all rusty?
Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, Solster, for the questions.

Yes, new fuel sock. It's slightly different than the old one, but with 7 gallons more fuel in the tank than when the pump died, it shouldn't be sucking air.

When I pulled the first replacement fuel pump, everything was still attached, so I can't narrow it down to things falling off.

No rust in the tank - even the old fuel sock looked pretty good.

My next thought is to test resistance through the wiring...but if it's an issue of the pump not getting enough juice, why did the old pump work intermittently?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your hose connections again at the pump. I mean if you Know its the pump (sounds like it), and it still doesn't work, I'd say it's either the pressure line not hooked up properly, or a bad pump.

TL;DR, but youve got NO fuel coming out @ the filter?