Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

project not starting :'(

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default project not starting :'(

92 honda prelude si with a 2.3 dohc and went from an automatic to a manual. Yes I did the wiring to the clutch pedal. Yes im getting spark. Yes my fuel pump works. So why is my car not starting lol. Its driving me insane.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: project not starting :'(

switched the ecu for a manual ?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the ecu has been swapped
Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What all have you checked into ?

Grounds are all good ? (especially to the thermostat) any CEL ? Timing is good? (rotor turns when turning car over, check with diz. cap removed)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yohan
What all have you checked into ?

Grounds are all good ? (especially to the thermostat) any CEL ? Timing is good? (rotor turns when turning car over, check with diz. cap removed)
All these are good questions...grounds seem simple but each one serves a purpose. And it's very easy that the distributor could be 180 off. Idk why it would be since you were just doing a trans swap.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Helps to know if the car is actually cranking or not.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:31 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z99doc
92 honda prelude si with a 2.3 dohc and went from an automatic to a manual. Yes I did the wiring to the clutch pedal. Yes im getting spark. Yes my fuel pump works. So why is my car not starting lol. Its driving me insane.
just because the fuel pump works, does not mean the injectors are firing or that there is sufficient pressure.

testing the fueling circuit is quite simple. the injectors receive their power from the main relay via the yellow/black wire that is intercepted at a power/ground distribution block on the harness typically found at the back of the engine (one side power, one side grounds). the other side of the connector goes to the ecu and is a "ground" controlled by injector drivers inside the ecu. with key on, engine off, you will have power on both sides of the connector under normal conditions. once the engine turns over, the ecu uses the crank position sensor and cylinder position sensor to determine which cylinder needs fuel and when to begin the process.

if you have a multimeter, the testing process begins fairly easily. test voltage on the yellow/black wire at the injector. disconnect it and turn the ignition on, you should have battery voltage there. with it disconnected, you should also have battery voltage on the other pin (as long as the crank position and cylinder position sensor are not telling the ecu to ground). If you dont have voltage there, you need to test your main relay which may be faulty (i find this unlikely as the main relay also powers the fuel pump via the ecu).

another easy test is to create your own jumper harness for the injector. you can take a 2pin light bulb connector and run leads down to the back side of the connector and turn the engine over. if you dont get a flashing light bulb, then the ecu is not grounding, you dont have power, you have bad injectors (unlikely), or you have a bad crank position signal.

this is the basics of the fuel injection circuit. when you come back and give us more info based on the findings of the above work, it can get a little more advanced depending on whether or not you have power/ground.

Your mechanical timing would have to be pretty significantly off in order for the engine to not even try to start but it is something worth at least checking.

an engine running comes down to basics. engine timing, compression, fuel and ignition. thats pretty much it.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98vtec
This is a really great post. I'm looking forward to seeing the OP come back with a starting engine following this info.