Notices

New throwout bearing, doesnt feel right on the bench

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New throwout bearing, doesnt feel right on the bench

My stock SI trans bit the dust (bad bearings I believe) So I orderred a new rebuilt trans from a reputable company, came with no throwout installed so I installed one, seemingly properly, I cant see what you can mess up

But during the stroke (using the external arm to make the fork push the bearing out) it doesnt feel smooth for the entire stroke, there is a "catch" midstroke, it slides freely on the shaft but you can feel a catch when moving it. Would that be something internal?

The catch is not there when lifting the forks with the throwout bearing un-installed.

The transmission I just removed has no catch feeling and is smooth the entire stroke is why I ask before going ahead and installing this new transmission without knowing its in top shape....
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New throwout bearing, doesnt feel right on the bench

The clutch fork slides the throwout bearing on the input shaft and doesn't move any internal transmission parts. You should lightly grease the inside surface of the new throwout bearing where it slides on the input shaft. Does it catch when you move the fork without the bearing installed?

There aren't that many parts that could be causing this. Could be the surface of your new input shaft has a rough spot. I would take the clutch relase fork and spring off and slide the bearing on the shaft by hand to see if you can feel the catch and figure out where it's coming from. Make sure everything is clean. You might need to lightly sand off a rough spot if you find one.

Play around with your new one and compare it to the old one. You should be able to figure out where it's coming from. You might also call the company you got the trans from. Synchrotech was really good about answering questions when I had them.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New throwout bearing, doesnt feel right on the bench

^ x2

Make sure the fork is in contact with the bearing and not on top of the spring.

It sounds obvious, but I did a clutch in by old B16, installed the spring UNDER the fork and bolted everything back together, put the car on the ground and turned the key. Had to do the whole thing over again.

Should be bearing, fork, spring. Not bearing, spring, fork.