Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

03 Civic LX automatic doesn't move in D4 or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 03 Civic LX automatic doesn't move in D4 or reverse

Sorry if my post is long but please bear with me, I'm out of ideas and really need some help/opinions on what my issue is.

My sister owns a 2003 Civic LX with a automatic transmission. One day she went out and on the way back home she said her car started to "loose power" and ended up not wanting to move at all while in D4, when given gas the car would just rev up with no movement at all. Reverse worked for a little bit until it stopped moving completely in reverse also. Had to get it towed to the house.

When we got it to the house I checked the fluid level and it was good, drained the fluid and checked for any metal shavings and found none. My first thought was it being the torque converter because about 2 days before this happened her car started to make a whine noise coming from the transmission area wasn't too loud but it was noticeable, with school and work I completely forgot about it and after this happened that whine got much louder.

So I went ahead and put in:
Brand new torque converter w/ new O ring
New Transmission seal
New CV axle seals
New Oil pan gasket
New Rear main seal
New oil/oil filter
6qts of Honda ATF

All was good to go and went ahead and started it. Right away that whine noise was gone, no grinding ticking or whining everything sounded perfect. Let the car warm up and turned it off and check the fluid level and for any leaks all was good so I turned the car back on. Went to reverse and let off the brake and the car started to move, went into D4 and car began to move and put it back into park. Let the idle for about 2 minutes and when I went to put it into reverse the car didn't want to move, put it into D4 and still didn't move gave it some gas and the rpms would just climb up like it did before. Turned the car off and check the fluid level and it was good. Turned it back on and still didn't want to move, 5 minutes passed of it idling and when I put it into D4 it began to move again same thing with reverse but yet again it went right back to not wanting to move at all. There is no CEL's or flashing D4.

So now I'm stuck, only thing left for me to look into are the solenoids or the tranny itself being shot. What do you guys think it is? Would a bad solenoid be causing this? Or is the tranny itself needing to be rebuilt? I can't find much online. I tested the Shift solenoid valve A/B and came up with 30ohm while the manual says standard is 12-25ohm not too sure if that is good or bad, same thing with the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid it read higher ohm then what the manual has. I didn't test the other solenoids as I called it a day and came inside to post this. If you guys can please help me out.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 03 Civic LX automatic doesn't move in D4 or reverse

sounds like the same thing that was happening with my trans. but I didn't do as much work as you did. My tranny had lived its life and the clutch packs inside were worn down. I had purchased a remanufactured trans and new torque converter. the converter usually wouldn't go bad they are just pumps. I too never had a CEL it was all mechanical failure not electrical . good luck hope this helped
Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 03 Civic LX automatic doesn't move in D4 or reverse

There s a YouTube video that ll show you details of the tranny. Search "honda civic bmxa tear down" I used that as guide to rebuild my 02 tranny. Changed out the clutches and upgraded the filter.