Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gonna build my d..dont hate please

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna build my d..dont hate please

First off, I'm gonna say this. Please don't flame on me for wanting to build up my d16. I don't care about your b/k/h swaps. I work a full 40, as does my wife and we have bills and I'm really bad at saving money, so a swap is out the question. I'm gonna get all my bolt ons installed and then build the internals.

Here goes:

98 civic ex
d16y8
160k miles
Auto-yes i know auto sucks but a conversion is in place. Working on sourcing all the parts I need,

Currently I'm running stock except for a CAI and I pulled all the air box stuff from the bumper. It;s a K&N Tube with a Spectre filter.

I have parts tho..I have a skunk 2 pro series I/M, a BBK 62mm throttle body, a strut tower bar, Aero Turbin 2525 muffler and working on getting a new head

. All my parts are going in this weekend and I'm hoping for a decent gain. Nothing to big. I'm trying to stay realistic with the funds/time/engine I have.

My overall goal is going to be very...fantasy like from what I've read. I'd like as close to 200hp as I can get WITHOUT boosting. I dont want some 9 or 10 second car. I want something peppy for around town and an all around daily driver.

Is 175-200 doable on a d series with a proper tune and parts? Is more possible?

I will be building the internals also but will be buying them piece by piece until I have them all and then put them in. Can anyone suggest good parts and preferebly a list of the internals I'll need?

I know this is not technically a build thread yet, but once I get pictures and Colorado figures out what the weather is gonna be like, I'll get a bunch more wrench time.

All parts will be installed by me with hopefully, help and guidance from the community here at H/T.

Again, please don't flame because I'm wanting to build my d.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gonna build my d..dont hate please

I don't think you'll be able to hit 170-200 N/A, IMO.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like the D-series motors. You won't get 175-200 HP out of a D series without boost. All the parts that you have mentioned might get your Y8 up to 140hp max but not much more than that.

Out of curiosity, why a new head? Is something wrong with the one you currently have? The head on the Y8 is as good as it gets with the D series motors.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98cdmej6
I don't think you'll be able to hit 170-200 N/A, IMO.

Is it because it's a single cam?

Anyone know what the top numbers for an N/A D series are?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by goldsy
I personally like the D-series motors. You won't get 175-200 HP out of a D series without boost. All the parts that you have mentioned might get your Y8 up to 140hp max but not much more than that.
The parts I currently have or the total build over all? The internals will be upgraded as time goes on. Hope fully by the summer I'll have it done.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dseriesboulder
I'd like as close to 200hp
Without boost NOWAY
Is 175-200 doable NOPE

The most you'd see is 120-130 WHP at the very most ! before you realise you've dug you'r self a deep hole and have nothing to show. And then the thing is you could save just a bit more and get a b16 or b18 leave it stock and have WAY more fun plus have a better platform to build on later/as time goes.

as for max N/A d numbers goes are you a shop ? with a big budget that's how they can get high number out of an N/A d-series
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the internals done, ported head and the bolt ons, I've heard of people squeezing 160-165hp out of a D-series. That's really about it though but for what it would cost, you could throw a B16 in for the same price with 160HP stock.

Your D16Y8 stock has 127HP. The intake, exhaust, TB, etc that you mention will probably get you to about 140 without the internals done.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by goldsy
With the internals done, ported head and the bolt ons, I've heard of people squeezing 160-165hp out of a D-series. That's really about it though but for what it would cost, you could throw a B16 in for the same price with 160HP stock.

Your D16Y8 stock has 127HP. The intake, exhaust, TB, etc that you mention will probably get you to about 140 without the internals done.
damn.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
The most you'd see is 120-130 WHP at the very most !. and then the thing is you could save a bit and get a b16 or b18 leave it stock and have WAY more fun plus have a better platform to build on later/as time goes
i dont see how130 is the tops as seeing i'm at 127 from the factory......
Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way is essentially to open up the airflow. By that I mean a big *** throttle body, and have it, the intake manifold, and the head ported. The D is capable of making almost as much as B at the limit, so yes 200hp is doable, but you're gonna want a more agressive cam and rev it higher, like 8500rpm or more. So it'd have to be built with all the goodies: moly coated pistons, lightweight rods, an aluminum flywheel, a big *** cam, high flow exhaust, that sort of stuff.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you don't know what drivetrain loss is then.... plus is you'r engine BRAND NEW ? no it's not that rating is from a d16y8 with near zero miles you have 160K i know you'r compression isn't what it was factory rated. so with less compression=less power don't see how im wrong.
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

127 is not WHEEL horsepower.
Honda-Tech Member

175-200 hp all motor d is possible. the argument has always been price. here's a good link to help you out.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-d16y8-z6.html
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert
The best way is essentially to open up the airflow. By that I mean a big *** throttle body, and have it, the intake manifold, and the head ported. The D is capable of making almost as much as B at the limit, so yes 200hp is doable, but you're gonna want a more agressive cam and rev it higher, like 8500rpm or more. So it'd have to be built with all the goodies: moly coated pistons, lightweight rods, an aluminum flywheel, a big *** cam, high flow exhaust, that sort of stuff.
Do you realise how much that would all cost(he's not a shop with a big budget) then some guy with a stock b18c1 will walk him at the light think of the gearing also.... gsr/ITR/b16 tranny>y8 tranny

Thanks grumble wheel hp is a whole different story OP needs to realize that.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert
Thanks for the info

So you don't know what drivetrain loss is then.... plus is you'r engine BRAND NEW ? no it's not that rating is from a d16y8 with near zero miles you have 160K i know you'r compression isn't what it was factory rated. so with less compression=less power don't see how im wrong.
I do know what drive train loss is. I replied to soon. My bad.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
127 is not WHEEL horsepower.
I know. My bad.

Originally Posted by digitalvice
175-200 hp all motor d is possible. the argument has always been price. here's a good link to help you out.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-d16y8-z6.html
Thanks for the link

Do you realise how much that would all cost(he's not a shop with a big budget) then some guy with a stock b18c1 will walk him at the light think of the gearing also.... gsr/ITR/b16 tranny>y8 tranny

Would you suggest a different transmission? If so, which one?

I forgot to add, I have some ebay headers and downpipe. forgot to add that.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalvice
175-200 hp all motor d is possible. the argument has always been price.
And that's the TRICK isn't it? The majority of people dreaming of big N/A horsepower numbers cannot BEGIN to front such a budget. No one is saying it isn't possible. I'm not anyway. The dollar ratio per horsepower gained is ridiculous when compared to similar money spent on a boosted setup.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info

I do know what drive train loss is. I replied to soon. My bad.

Ok but it's the engine age also rings/other things do go with time. You'r only option is the d series trannys a S80/Y80/S4C(b tranny) isn't fitting on there. I assumed you had a header. downpipe you'r not turbo'd what do you mean by that
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You would spend 10k plus easy trying to reach 175-200 hp. Spend 2-3k and drop in a gsr swap and leave it alone. If you boost your D it would be easy to catch 175-200 but n/a you aint doing it for the budget you're implying you are on. Literally its gonna be impossible unless you have a endless budget so get that dream/thought out of your head sorry.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If I remember right the 127 stated by Honda already HAS been converted to WHP. My D16Z6 has 125 HP according to Honda, and dyno tested it has about the same. So yes, his car is putting 127 to the wheels.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No its not
Old 04-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot to add, I have some ebay headers and downpipe. forgot to add that.
get a manual ex/si trans, that should be your 1 priority if you are DEAD SET on D series.
then I/H/E,(DO YOUR RESEARCH, alotta parts here wont actually make any power, even brand names)
and if you really wanna spend coin for not a whole lotta go, then continue building the engine.

i had fun with both my stock D's, so this should be pretty zippy....but i got in trouble with my LS
Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not 127 at the wheels sorry to break your bubble.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/whp-stock-d16y8-400725/

http://www.d-series.org/forums/natur...tor-d16y8.html

Last edited by Former User; 04-18-2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: thread clean up
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazyhouse2011
If I remember right the 127 stated by Honda already HAS been converted to WHP. My D16Z6 has 125 HP according to Honda, and dyno tested it has about the same. So yes, his car is putting 127 to the wheels.
Heard of generous reading dynos if you'r z6 has 125hp...great ! this is about OP's Y8 and NO that's flywheel rated from the factory with PERFECT compression...why are ppl for getting engines agre and wear down
Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
And that's the TRICK isn't it? The majority of people dreaming of big N/A horsepower numbers cannot BEGIN to front such a budget. No one is saying it isn't possible. I'm not anyway. The dollar ratio per horsepower gained is ridiculous when compared to similar money spent on a boosted setup.
I agree, but if he wants to spend the money (as he seems dead set on the idea) then so be it.

for the price though, everyone is right. save your money, either boost it or swap it. you could do a h22a4 swap and have 197hp just like that.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tryig to say a d16y8 has close to 130whp stock is just insane not to mention the mileage he has on the motor so just stop, you're making yourself look terrible here. Point blank you arent gonna get close to 175-200 without spending a small fortune unless you boost.

Last edited by azzazel_9; 04-18-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply: gonna build my d..dont hate please