Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Low RPM/stutter, almost stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low RPM/stutter, almost stalling

Recently bought an used 1999 Honda CR-V LX AWD, it has low rpm on cold unless you run it for more than like 20 minute or so and it won't stall. If I drive it cold, it has a chance of stalling at a stop sign or any stops when driving due to the rpm lowering to an almost stall point or sometime it will just stall.

Things I replaced: Spark plugs, O2 sensor

Last edited by runtohell121; 03-24-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Low RPM/stutter, almost stalling

take the IACV off and clean it with some throttle body cleaner. that'd be my first thing to try

what does it idle at when warm?

you can always follow the idle adjustment procedure in the service manual
Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Well, the car was running for about 5-8 minutes before taking the video actually and the temperature needle was at half point. But from what my dad told me about the car, it idles fine, just that it might stall after giving some gas to the engine like shown in the video.

I'll check the IAVC first. Any links to the adjustment?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm look it up for a civic there's plenty of how to's on it. its on the back of the intake and uses two 12mm bolts. if you remove the lines that are connected to it's bottom side be prepared to have some coolant leak out. It'll have a little screen and a hole with a piston in it. just spray the **** out of that with throttle body cleaner and possibly take a brass wire brush to the screen if its too gunky with carbon.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, after cleaning the IACV, engine light came on. P0131, something to do with O2 sensor I assume, the upstream one. It was the one I replaced already but with the Denso Universal O2 sensor. Maybe bad wiring?

After cleaning the IACV, still the same problem, engine will stall after giving gas.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replace the pcv valve than reset ur ecu
Old 03-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Reset ECU by.. disconnecting battery and wait like 5-10 min?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced the PCV valve, still same issue. Giving the car a little gas once the car warmed up a bit will result in near stall rpm or sometime it will actually stall.

Originally Posted by dogbiscuit
ummm look it up for a civic there's plenty of how to's on it. its on the back of the intake and uses two 12mm bolts. if you remove the lines that are connected to it's bottom side be prepared to have some coolant leak out. It'll have a little screen and a hole with a piston in it. just spray the **** out of that with throttle body cleaner and possibly take a brass wire brush to the screen if its too gunky with carbon.
So this thing according to the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...jKEVblY#t=258s
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still have yet to figure out what's causing the issue. I just cleaned the throttle body, FITV, new distributor cap.

Also, I just noticed that if I keep my foot steady on the gas pedal, the rpm doesn't stay steady as shown in my video below. I'm revving it at 2k rpm, not moving my foot, rpm goes up and down on it's own. I'm assuming it is related to the stalling problem.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I still think your IACV has something to do with it. I may be completely wrong.

Try this. with the engine running, Unplug the IACV valve. see what it does.

also there's been some success with tapping the IACV with the back of a screwdriver while the engine is running to see if it changes in idle which would be looking for it possibly being stuck.

FITV is only used while the engine is at cold start after that and when the engine is warm I believe it is closed and the IACV does all the dirty work. (Don't quote me but I don't think CRV's even have a FITV that was on older cars)

I would also check for a vacuum leak.

also, is your coolant system fully bled? when was the last time you changed your coolant fluid? sometimes a searching idle can be caused by air in your coolant system which usually occurs when it runs low or you just changed it.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll check it once I'm done with my roadtrip (3-4 days)

If you unplug it while it's running, what suppose to happen?

I tried tapping it with a screwdriver, nothing really seems to happen

I'm not sure how to check for vacuum leak myself, might have to take it to someone if the car can drive..

Not sure about coolant either, might check for air in the system.

I recently bought this car about 2 weeks ago, apparently the guy was the 2nd owner according to him, didn't really bother checking.

Probably going to end up doing a full tune up as in replacing water pump, timing belt, spark plug wire, spark plug, distributor cap and rotor and other parts. Already did transmission and engine oil change, was really dirty..
Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My crv is also doing the same, but my crv has a manual transmission and when i clutch it does that, i haven't be able to see when exactly it does it but it doesnt happen frequently... the weirdest thing is that my crv has shut down while moving when i clutch. anybody can help?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fresh that sounds like a IACV. when you clutch in you are also coming off the throttle. when you go off throttle the butterfly closes and the IACV takes over to keep idle.

When you un plug the IACV you should notice a RPM change. If you don't is when i'd be especially worried. My civic has 205k on it and it likes a different throttle adjustment in the summer vs winter. in the adjustment procedure for a manual civic you unplug the iacv, when I do that the vehicle will nearly stall out, like i said i'd be worried if you unplug the IACV while the car is running and the idle doesn't change.

Here's a youtube video of a guy that does honda repairs and has videos on bleeding the coolant system, checking the IACV and checking for vacuum leaks. He uses tb cleaner to check for his leaks i'd use something a little less explosive like WD40. also you should be able to hear any significant vacuum leak.

When you go to do that tuneup go ahead and adjust the valves. there's a good writeup on hondasuv.com that shows how to do it on these motors and what gap to adjust them to keep them on the loose side. these engines tighten valves over time and could cause burned valves.

EDIT: looks like I was wrong about the FITV the automatic engines do have one it seems.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I solved my issue. Bleeding the air out of the coolant fixed it for me. Well, before I bled the air out, I replaced the spark plug wire also. Solved for now.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome dude. thanks for showing back up to let us know it was solved and what possibly fixed it. Glad you can get in your car now without having that "please don't **** up this time" feeling.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have that same problem with my car now, I've cleaned it out with degrease, and it's giving me the same results. I recommend to just change the part.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:14 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by FreshxJDM
My crv is also doing the same, but my crv has a manual transmission and when i clutch it does that, i haven't be able to see when exactly it does it but it doesnt happen frequently... the weirdest thing is that my crv has shut down while moving when i clutch. anybody can help?
hi i have the same isue have you found a solution ? i read it may be the iac