Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Should I get a Civic Hybrid or Honda Fit? Need advice from Civic and Fit owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a Civic Hybrid or Honda Fit? Need advice from Civic and Fit owners

Potential Honda Civic owner here! very interested in hybrid car, in particular, the civic...but Not sure what mode or year l i should get... I am open to hearing about other comparable cars with high mpg, like the Honda Fit. I'm also considering a Prius, but obviously that's for a different forum.

Questions for Current Civic Owners
-What are the pros and cons for the Hybrid Civic?
-should I buy new or used? (I'm leaning towards new because I believe that the battery is very expensive to replace in a hybrid)
-what's the maintenence like? How often do you have to maintain the hybrid vs a non-hybrid car? What is the cost of the maintenence compared to a non-hybrid car?
-any problems with batteries? How expensive have they been to replace?
-what are your thoughts on warranties?

other info:
-Live in Seattle...Lots of rain (obviously) but hardly ever any snow.
- this would be my first car that I've purchased myself
-driving habits: right now just, going to the grocery store and park and ride, but plan to start using it heavily very soon...maybe in the next 4-5 months (driving to school and work and to friend's house)

I appreciate any advice.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I get a Civic Hybrid or Honda Fit? Need advice from Civic and Fit owners

Fit, has more usable cargo room and doesn't rely on an expensive battery. Uses a simple gas engine and still gets close to 40 mpg.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I get a Civic Hybrid or Honda Fit? Need advice from Civic and Fit owners

I say the Fit as well, it is more usable and has awesome fuel economy...my wife's 09 Fit is a great little car.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even I would go with Honda Fit because of its reduced gas consumption and pleasure of driving.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought a Civic SI, so I can't offer an opinion in that area, but a friend of my wife bought a brand new Prius, and after a month, couldn't stand it and traded it in for a Subaru Forester. She took a $600 loss. It would get blown around in the wind and water puddles would have an affect on stability. If you can do it, I would go to a rental car ageny and rent some of the models your considering. Some dealerships also offer rental services as well. I don't know what your budget is, but also look at the TDI Jettas. In the low low $20ks and get 40+mpg. The Passat with the same 2.0L Diesel engine got an abserved 43.5mpg in real world testing by a diesel magazine. Either way, I would seriously look at renting a coulple cars before making a purchase.