Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord EX Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 94 Accord EX Build Thread

I've been debating making a build log for a few weeks now, I've had my car since July and I've been slowly building it up. Going for a clean street/track car, eventually may go boost. Who knows! Just making this to post little things that I do and such. Keep in mind I'm 16, work at a grocery store, and don't make more than $7.25 an hour.. lol

Mid July I had my mind set on a 96 Honda Civic EX 5spd in black, but I couldn't find any in the area anywhere near my price range (sold my CRF50 race bike). My buddy who at the time owned a 95 EX Sedan talked me into getting an Accord and I found mine for 1300, and paid 1000. It "looked" great at the time, but stuff breaks, you fix it, and this car has been a huge learning experience.

Here is the first day I saw it.

Then that night, decided to paint a few things including the extremely corroded rims. Although I quite commonly regret even thinking about painting that, but they're fixed now which you'll see later. The exhaust was completely rusted out from Muffler to Cat, so I got this.

My buddy's sister was driving the Sedan and hardcore speed bumped the tail end, creating a giant dent in the muffler. I ended up buying the piping and getting a new muffler.

Then my Manual conversion, which you can view here.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/let-5-speed-swap-begin-3111548/#post48395478

Here is where the build log starts and will have actual up to date pictures!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Accord EX Build Thread

This is how it sits today.

F22B1 2.2L VTEC
F22B2 Transmission (conversion)
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
B&R Fittings Stainless clutch cable
AEM Short ram Intake
Megan 421 Headers
DNA Motoring high flow cat (Glasspack basically)
2.5" piping
Megan M-GT Muffler
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
Mishimoto Radiator Hoses
All new OEM Head O-rings/rocker cover gaskets
New Intake Manifold gaskets (TB/Plen/Mani)
Moderate wire tuck left/right
Battery relocation
Purge/Evap delete
Charcoal canister delete
Rear engine mount solenoid delete
FIA delete
EGR delete
Cruise Control delete
ABS Delete (In Progress)

Future Mods:
Megan Adjustable Coilovers (Soon, tax money <3 )
Repaint Entire Car White, fix QP rust spots
ABS Delete
Hasport Mounts
F23 Intake Manifold
70mm Skunk2 TB
Bay shave/Paint

Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man. Keep it up. It's always a beautiful thing to see it come together the way you always hoped it would!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That looks so much better than the original, good job.

And btw you said you have 2.5 inch piping, what is your downpipe size where it meets up with the cat converter? The aftermarket downpipes i've seen are 2" inches at the exit, which is stock size, even if they are "performance" parts. Don't see the point of having a 2" downpipe with a 2.5 exhaust. Right now I have a 2.25 system with this downpipe which is 2" at the exit. This is what I got, with their 2.25" cat back. notice how the part that bolts to the cat says "2" inches. And indeed it is 2 inches.

I just don't see why the downpipe cannot be 2.25 inches as well, it seems very pointless, its made by same company.

You have no cat and a cat back system? I just got a ticket for a loud exhaust and im in Virginia, so I would be careful, I know yours must be even louder than mine. I drove mine around for 3 months till I got the ticket, now i'm going back to stock 2" size piping. Really, if you don't have turbo or supercharger there's no point in going to anything bigger than stock, you may even lose power too. So 2.5 inch exhaust is kinda pointless unless you turbo.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mishako129
That looks so much better than the original, good job.

And btw you said you have 2.5 inch piping, what is your downpipe size where it meets up with the cat converter? The aftermarket downpipes i've seen are 2" inches at the exit, which is stock size, even if they are "performance" parts. Don't see the point of having a 2" downpipe with a 2.5 exhaust. Right now I have a 2.25 system with this downpipe which is 2" at the exit. This is what I got, with their 2.25" cat back. notice how the part that bolts to the cat says "2" inches. And indeed it is 2 inches.

I just don't see why the downpipe cannot be 2.25 inches as well, it seems very pointless, its made by same company.

You have no cat and a cat back system? I just got a ticket for a loud exhaust and im in Virginia, so I would be careful, I know yours must be even louder than mine. I drove mine around for 3 months till I got the ticket, now i'm going back to stock 2" size piping. Really, if you don't have turbo or supercharger there's no point in going to anything bigger than stock, you may even lose power too. So 2.5 inch exhaust is kinda pointless unless you turbo.
At constant speed its actually not that bad, I also am fairly respectable when it comes to driving. I don't redline/VTEC every stop light I come to stop at. My header came as a full set, both the 4-2 and the 2-1 are all stainless. I've never measured the outlet from the lower section, but I believe its larger considering Megan included a larger donut with the set.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I definitely recommend you look into Bis's F22Bx camshaft. I had one and it made night and day difference. Loved it, but I went H22 before I can get it dyno. Guesstimated 140whp though.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice build so far. motor shot looks WAY better than when you first got it

keep it up bro
Old 02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
I definitely recommend you look into Bis's F22Bx camshaft. I had one and it made night and day difference. Loved it, but I went H22 before I can get it dyno. Guesstimated 140whp though.
I've been wanting to get Bisi level 2 cam for awhile, I want to keep a single cam like bigbpatel. I really do need a tune, as soon as it gets warmer I'm going to head over to Full Blown motorsports over here in MN to get it dyno'd and tuned.

Originally Posted by bigbpatel
nice build so far. motor shot looks WAY better than when you first got it

keep it up bro
Thanks! I am so glad I went the Accord direction, they're neat cars.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice build, engine bay looks much better!

Wait to tune until you get a cam. The ECU can handle what you have so far...not much more you will be able to get out of it on the rollers as it sits.

My opinion is to put your future mods rust repair on the top of your list. You really have to cure that rear quarter panel cancer ASAP. A good performing car won't do you any good if it's full of gaping holes. Just my 2¢

Black to white, for a painter to do it properly, is a huge undertaking. Do you have a shop in mind and have they given you a quote? Not only do you have to get good coverage over the exterior. The door jams, trunk trim and engine bay all have to be looked after as well.... Unless you like the open a white door and see black look.

I can maybe see leaving the engine bay black, however even that's more like what the Civic guys do..

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Nice build, engine bay looks much better!

Wait to tune until you get a cam. The ECU can handle what you have so far...not much more you will be able to get out of it on the rollers as it sits.

My opinion is to put your future mods rust repair on the top of your list. You really have to cure that rear quarter panel cancer ASAP. A good performing car won't do you any good if it's full of gaping holes. Just my 2¢

Black to white, for a painter to do it properly, is a huge undertaking. Do you have a shop in mind and have they given you a quote? Not only do you have to get good coverage over the exterior. The door jams, trunk trim and engine bay all have to be looked after as well.... Unless you like the open a white door and see black look.

I can maybe see leaving the engine bay black, however even that's more like what the Civic guys do..

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!
The black to white is more of an idea more than anything. YES the rust will be fixed by this up coming winter, it is oh so annoying having the cancer kill almost every positive aspect of this car. I have an EGR delete, but no ECU jib jab so I'm getting annoyed of the light, it was just not worth the space for what it does. I have a block off plate (hence the solenoid deal still being mounted on the manifold) but I rounded off the bolt trying to get it off with a SIX POINT wrench. Grrrrrrrr...

So a little update here, my IACV is completely shot which means more $ and a trip to the junkyard. I unplugged it while the idle was purging and it stopped completely. :/

Anyways, I mounted and installed my custom catch can. You can see the thread for that here https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/diy-oil-catch-can-3121578/ . I just bought some 3/8" vacuum hose and replaced all of the breathers/PCV which I will use the rest of when I do my brake booster flip. I am over excited about my tax refund, mmmmmm coilovers... Anyways, its been quite cold here and the garage is a mess, summer will be nice.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NZXTInerTia
I've been wanting to get Bisi level 2 cam for awhile, I want to keep a single cam like bigbpatel. I really do need a tune, as soon as it gets warmer I'm going to head over to Full Blown motorsports over here in MN to get it dyno'd and tuned.
You're from MN too? I had a Bisi Level 2 VTEC cam in my F22B1. It pulls like a champ. Once you get a F23A1 IM, it'll help alot on your topend. It had that with my Bisi cam, and nothing more is better than that combo setup for an F22 SOHC; since, nobody makes aftermarket IM for them. You hang out with Junior and them at Midway?

I'm sure you've seen my gold Accord with black CF hood around town. Go to DB Performance bro. I went to Full Blown once, and my car ran like sh*t still. Almost couldn't beat a B16 EJ6 Hatch. I went to MAPerformance and was able to make break the 200whp mark after a header swap, and has been running like a champ since then. It ran even better after Shane at DB tuned mine last Sept. Was side by side with a 2000 Civic coupe with a GSR (with Type R internals) swap.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're from MN too? I had a Bisi Level 2 VTEC cam in my F22B1. It pulls like a champ. Once you get a F23A1 IM, it'll help alot on your topend. It had that with my Bisi cam, and nothing more is better than that combo setup for an F22 SOHC; since, nobody makes aftermarket IM for them. You hang out with Junior and them at Midway?

I'm sure you've seen my gold Accord with black CF hood around town. Go to DB Performance bro. I went to Full Blown once, and my car ran like sh*t still. Almost couldn't beat a B16 EJ6 Hatch. I went to MAPerformance and was able to make break the 200whp mark after a header swap, and has been running like a champ since then. It ran even better after Shane at DB tuned mine last Sept. Was side by side with a 2000 Civic coupe with a GSR (with Type R internals) swap.
I live up in Northern Anoka, I haven't gone to any meets and I know of no performance tuning places or stores except for FB lol. Where do you guys meet around here? We have a hick scene up here, I like a lifted diesel as much as the next guy. But the car scene is horrible. I'm going to pull the motor next time I have some time off of school/work and shave the bay, do a balancer shaft delete, ARP studs, F23 IM, and a cam. Rebuild the motor basically.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so while the ma is off in Cincinasty I have 50 dollars to go spend on "Food". The grocery store had 5 boxes of Mac N cheese for ONE dollar so I picked up 15 of those for three bucks. I now have $47 and relatively $600 in tax money for my coilovers.

What color corner lights should I get? I hate the stock orange/translucent ones on basically any car, not to mention mine are cracked and faded beyond belief, and I don't want to go full JDM and get the black housing headlights with the one bulb corner lights.

Here's my options, Input? Or I'll save for my F23 manifold...

Manifold:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-Honda-...b4ad12&vxp=mtr

Amber:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1997-HO...2d02d3&vxp=mtr

Clear:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-94-95-9...3d22c3&vxp=mtr
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live up in Northern Anoka, I haven't gone to any meets and I know of no performance tuning places or stores except for FB lol. Where do you guys meet around here? We have a hick scene up here, I like a lifted diesel as much as the next guy. But the car scene is horrible. I'm going to pull the motor next time I have some time off of school/work and shave the bay, do a balancer shaft delete, ARP studs, F23 IM, and a cam. Rebuild the motor basically.
Ok so while the ma is off in Cincinasty I have 50 dollars to go spend on "Food". The grocery store had 5 boxes of Mac N cheese for ONE dollar so I picked up 15 of those for three bucks. I now have $47 and relatively $600 in tax money for my coilovers.

What color corner lights should I get? I hate the stock orange/translucent ones on basically any car, not to mention mine are cracked and faded beyond belief, and I don't want to go full JDM and get the black housing headlights with the one bulb corner lights.

Here's my options, Input? Or I'll save for my F23 manifold...

Manifold:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-Honda-...b4ad12&vxp=mtr

Amber:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1997-HO...2d02d3&vxp=mtr

Clear:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-94-95-9...3d22c3&vxp=mtr
make sure u get the f23a im, i think the f23 came in vtec and non vtec and the f23a1 works best with the f22b1. i got the f23a1 im/plenum (i have pics comparing the f22b1 to the f23a1 if u want to see it side by side)

also i wouldnt get the clear corners, they looks trashy in person imo. if your going with orange side markers down the road id do the orange corners and orange bumper turn signal combo. i got the headlight/corner set up with the gray smoked turn signals in the bumper and then im installing the orange sidemarkers to make the corners
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1995-19...b965a6&vxp=mtr
Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would you recommend the level 2 bisi cam over the level 1.2? i was going to go with the 1.2 but was debating on the level 2. do you have any videos? would like to see how it pulls and the idle sound if you do.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure u get the f23a im, i think the f23 came in vtec and non vtec and the f23a1 works best with the f22b1. i got the f23a1 im/plenum (i have pics comparing the f22b1 to the f23a1 if u want to see it side by side)

also i wouldnt get the clear corners, they looks trashy in person imo. if your going with orange side markers down the road id do the orange corners and orange bumper turn signal combo. i got the headlight/corner set up with the gray smoked turn signals in the bumper and then im installing the orange sidemarkers to make the corners
Agreed, the silver ones do look kinda trashy. I just was seeing what somebody else thought. I actually just bought the OEM passenger side headlight (I had a cheap replacement when I bought it), so if anything I would stick them in the oven and paint the bezel's white.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yo i was wondering hows the sound of the motor after you got Megan 421 Headers? i saw them on ebay for like 150$ adn was gonna get it but im unsure if its worth it.
once my motors done i was gonna wait like 2 months to turbo so i will only have them on for 2 months...think its worth it?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo i was wondering hows the sound of the motor after you got Megan 421 Headers? i saw them on ebay for like 150$ adn was gonna get it but im unsure if its worth it.
once my motors done i was gonna wait like 2 months to turbo so i will only have them on for 2 months...think its worth it?
If you're going to go boost in a month or two just leave the stock manifold. I bought mine because I knew it would be a long while before I went turbo, and my manifold had a crack on the #4 runner.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like your build alot, very nice, and can't wait to see some paint on it. I'm just wondering how you were able to afford all of that while working at a grocery store... lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shaunybo1
I like your build alot, very nice, and can't wait to see some paint on it. I'm just wondering how you were able to afford all of that while working at a grocery store... lol.
Well somewhere back 2009-2010 I saved birthday/christmas/allowance and bought my pitbike (my old hobby before switching to cars when I turned 16) which I bought for $700 and upgraded/rebuilt the motor/did a ton of mods then turned around and sold for $1000. Then my parents (divorced) saved around $700 total, giving me about $1700 to start with. Then after having the car for a while I sold my sled (due to the horrible winters we've had up here) for $1000, which contributed to a lot of the manual conversion/other parts. Most of the money from my parents went to gas and insurance for the two months I didn't have a job. Then I started working, saving up my paychecks, and started doing the real modding. I also do all my maintenance myself which save a TON of money. I have also had to do a lot of prioritizing.

Here's a picture of my race bike. Which I built all myself between ages 14-16. Started as a bone stock CRF50 with a cheap China motor.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We all usually meet up at Stinson BLVD down by 280 and highway 36 every Fri and Sat night. Back then it was all University but now not anymore since they did that rail road construction. Wait til Spring is here, it's gonna be nuts. And yeah, it's gonna be a nice build man.

I recommend DB Performance and MAPerformance. Good guys. LJ is pretty good at FB, but I didn't like how my car ran after he tuned it.

would you recommend the level 2 bisi cam over the level 1.2? i was going to go with the 1.2 but was debating on the level 2. do you have any videos? would like to see how it pulls and the idle sound if you do.
Go with the Level 2 cam. Don't bother with the 1.2. It'll be a waste of time going through all that work with just 5-10% in power increase. I was satisfied with my level 2 cam when I got it. Made my motor a totally different beast. The so called fastest F22B1 here in the cities couldn't even keep up even though I did saw him dust a GSR swapped EH Civic coupe. I do, but it has a music in it. You do hear how the engine idle in some part. Don't mind the music, Lol, but here it is:

First start up!

Spec during this video:
- New used 130K F22B1 engine from local junkyard (very well taken care of)
- F23A4 IM (Has no FIA port in the manifold which I needed for the B1)
- Bisi Level 2 VTEC cam (On stock valvetrain)
- Skunk2 cam gear ($35.00 off Ebay; overstock sale :D)
- AEM SRI
- Megan Racing header
- 2.25" Exhaust
- P28 chipped ECU w/ Hondata S100 tuned with a very similar setup like mine from Cali (143ish whp, IIRC)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We all usually meet up at Stinson BLVD down by 280 and highway 36 every Fri and Sat night. Back then it was all University but now not anymore since they did that rail road construction. Wait til Spring is here, it's gonna be nuts. And yeah, it's gonna be a nice build man.

I recommend DB Performance and MAPerformance. Good guys. LJ is pretty good at FB, but I didn't like how my car ran after he tuned it.

Go with the Level 2 cam. Don't bother with the 1.2. It'll be a waste of time going through all that work with just 5-10% in power increase. I was satisfied with my level 2 cam when I got it. Made my motor a totally different beast. The so called fastest F22B1 here in the cities couldn't even keep up even though I did saw him dust a GSR swapped EH Civic coupe. I do, but it has a music in it. You do hear how the engine idle in some part. Don't mind the music, Lol, but here it is:

First start up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXdRH9lgYEM

Spec during this video:
- New used 130K F22B1 engine from local junkyard (very well taken care of)
- F23A4 IM (Has no FIA port in the manifold which I needed for the B1)
- Bisi Level 2 VTEC cam (On stock valvetrain)
- Skunk2 cam gear ($35.00 off Ebay; overstock sale :D)
- AEM SRI
- Megan Racing header
- 2.25" Exhaust
- P28 chipped ECU w/ Hondata S100 tuned with a very similar setup like mine from Cali (143ish whp, IIRC)
Your setup in this video is very similar to mine lol. I keep punching myself for buying a stock P0A ECU when I did my conversion over a chipped P28...
Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So a quick update.

I got a pair of 55w HID ballasts from a buddy who replaced the ones that came with his Audi A4 and I ordered a pair of 6000k 9006 55w HID bulbs from eGay for $15. Considering I got the ballasts in trade for a gaming mouse I didn't use anymore I thought I might as well give them a try. I have also ordered Amber corner lights to replace my broken faded OEM clear/orange ones that I have for $20. Then with my tax refunds I ordered a pair of Megan adjustable coilovers! Most likely will lower it 2-2.5".

Here are some pictures of how I PROPERLY mounted the ballasts, at least compared to how the dude who previously (who was a complete ****) owned the Audi did. I used high strength velcro to attach them to the flat spot in between the high and low beams on the headlight bracket. Then I can remove them as I please for whatever reasons may come about.

They are barely noticeable, not to mention the part you can see looks pretty cool. I'm satisfied, I'll post a picture of the installed bulbs/wiring tomorrow after work.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looking good man! good to see some Minnesota love! have you thought about doing alittle more cleaning in your engine bay? like deleting a/c and p/s? abs delete is abit tricky but in the end it looks soo nice in the accord bay (;

as for your future intake set-up, 70mm is pretty ******* big haha, id recommend looking into like a 65 or 68mm at the most (Phearable.net has a good selection at good prices , ebay since everyone overstocking parts for tax season!!) and a f23a1 I.M would work the best for bigger throttle bodies (if you pick up a intake manifold you could drop it off for acouple $ and ill port match to the gaskets and polish it for ya).

good luck man, good to see some SOHC love!

Throttle bodies:
http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...s-c-55_56.html

power steering delete thread:
http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...-Pics-Complete
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h22a2JZGTE
looking good man! good to see some Minnesota love! have you thought about doing alittle more cleaning in your engine bay? like deleting a/c and p/s? abs delete is abit tricky but in the end it looks soo nice in the accord bay (;

as for your future intake set-up, 70mm is pretty ******* big haha, id recommend looking into like a 65 or 68mm at the most (Phearable.net has a good selection at good prices , ebay since everyone overstocking parts for tax season!!) and a f23a1 I.M would work the best for bigger throttle bodies (if you pick up a intake manifold you could drop it off for acouple $ and ill port match to the gaskets and polish it for ya).

good luck man, good to see some SOHC love!

Throttle bodies:
http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...s-c-55_56.html

power steering delete thread:
http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...-Pics-Complete
I do want to keep my PS, and my AC. I will most likely polish up my AC lines so they look nice. But my ABS is going completely (fried modulator), I have a 40/40 proportioning valve sitting on my bench. Once I have a large amount of time off school I am going to be pulling the engine, shaving the bay, and painting it white. This is when I'll do the ABS delete.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord EX Build Thread