Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Timing belt issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt issues

Hi peeps.!
I have a question for anyone who knows about 90-93 Accords.?
I have a 90 with the F22A4 engine in it. Im doing the timing belt/ balance shaft belts. The bolt on the "tensioner" is actually on the outside of the cover. Now I was told to turn the crank until the cam sprocket moves a few teeth. I did that and it tightens the timing belt up nice and good, however the balance shaft belt is still loose, not flapping around loose but looser then I would like. If I pull it hard enough I can get it to slide off. With the cover off I can put pry up lightly on the bar and get both belts as tight as I want but then you have to take the tensioner bolt off to put the stupid cover back on. Any IDEAS on a different way to get them tight. Nothing is wrong with the two tensioners or the two springs. The bar that goes on the outside and has one of the springs(sorry dont know the name) looks in good shape. Am I over reacting, I never touched the balance shaft belt just took the old one off, was more focused on the timing belt. At this point I may just cut a hole in the cover or just leave the thing off but I live close to the beach and really dont want a bunch of sand getting up in there. Any help at this point is appreciated, THANKS
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Timing belt issues

if the springs and tensioners are in good shape follow the procedure and allow them to tighten the belts without adding addition tension manually. IIRC the balancer shaft belt is gonna be a bit more loose than the timing belt. If the belts are over tensioned you will get a humming sound that increases with rpm and cause premature wear.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Timing belt issues

K,,it is just me overreacting because the B.S-belt is looser then the T-belt. I should have taken a quick look before I pulled it apart. I dont think that would have really told me, the old T-belt was really stretched. I will put her back together and see how it goes THANKS