Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2003 Civic Sedan LX Door lock & installing wireless entry question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Civic Sedan LX Door lock & installing wireless entry question

hello,

I've searched the forum and looked in the FAQ. I've read all the posts about door locks, which are similar but also different, so I'm making this post. My wife’s 2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX power locks are acting up for the driver door only. This weekend I'm planning on checking both fuse panels and taking the driver side door panel off to see if everything is connected and if I notice anything obstructions. I'm just looking for any guidance on the issue. I've read that it may be the actuator but the lock still works locks/unlocks when the door is closed. Everything in car is stock including the head unit and there is not a keyless remote or alarm.

Every button and switch I'm referring to are on the driver door only.

With the driver’s door open: if I press the lock/unlock switch, all the doors except the driver door will lock/unlock. The button that pops up when unlocked is also stuck in the up (unlocked) position and I can't push it down.

With the driver door closed: When I press the lock/unlock switch, all the doors lock/unlock. The button that pops up when unlocked, if I push it down to lock the door, all the doors lock. If I pull it up, all the doors unlock. Everything works correctly with the driver door closed.

Key lock on outside of driver door: I can use the key to lock and unlock the door but it's very hard to do. I have to get the key in just the right spot to turn the key..sometimes it takes me a few minutes and the lock itself has some wiggle to it.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Also, if I install a remote entry system that only locks/unlocks the doors, will it work since the doors lock/unlock when they are closed?

Thanks for any assistance
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Civic Sedan LX Door lock & installing wireless entry question

Don't bother taking the door panel off. The PDL system is working exactly as it should. The drivers door PDL is only supposed to work when the drivers door is closed, or if you hold the handle in the "open the door" position while the door is open. All the other door locks will function whether the drivers door is open or closed. This is to prevent you (or her) from accidentally locking the keys in the car.

As for the lock cylinder itself, there are a couple TSB's (technical service bulletins) about that in our FAQ's page.

I have not checked to see if those are still valid links, but I'm confident that they are. If they are not, I apologize for that.

Basically, it's because the tumblers in the lock (and / or the keys) are damaged or worn out. You may need to replace the tumblers, or the lock cylinders themselves.

As for an OEM keyless entry system; they have discontinued this item for the 2001-2005 GX, HX, and LX cars. You might be able to use an aftermarket unit, but is it really worth the hassle? If you can manage to find a parts car with this accessory in it, you will need all of the components. See here for installation instructions.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Trial User

Thank you for the information, the links worked. I was hoping to not replace the lock/tumbler because then my wife would need 1 key for ignition and 1 for the lock. The reason I was thinking about the remote lock/unlock was because it’s a real pain for her to go in thru the passenger side to get to the lock button on the driver’s side to lock the doors up. She typically has our 2 year old with her and her arms are full of stuff. She has also had things stolen from her car twice in the last few months because locking them is difficult for her. I'll swing by a Honda dealership tomorrow with these bulletin's and see what they say.

Her getting a new car isn't in the immediate future and I'm trying to determine the cheapest way to get her doors to lock. Her car is out of warranty so according to the service bulletins, it may be eligible for "Good Will Consideration" but it's up to the service manager and if they say yes, I would bet they replace the driver door and not both doors..so she'll have different keys for each doors. If it's not picked up for free, I'm assuming it would be pricey to get fixed. So looking for other ideas, an aftermarket remote system that I splice into the door lock controls seems like the next best option, or at least the package makes it seem that easy. I've recently seen bulldog remote systems for just doors/trunk for around $45.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Plead da Fif

The TSB's I linked (I have checked them since posting them) actually shows you how to install new tumblers into the cylinder.

Then she wouldn't need separate keys, and the lock would be like new again.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Trial User

Thank you for all the help. I read the bulletin and it seems straight forward. I'll try the dealer 1st and if no luck, I'll order the part kit and do it myself. Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Trial User

ohh, 1 thing I'm wondering. I'm looking up the parts and I can't find descriptions on what they are. If I'm just replacing the tumblers, which one do I order? I see 6 different P/N's for tumblers. If I'm just replacing the tumblers in 1 lock, buying the Door Lock Cylinder Kit seems a bit overkill because all the extras it comes with. So, I'm unsure on what I should be ordering if I have to fix it myself. The Door Lock Cylinder Kit is $200, if that's the case, I can get a professional aftermarket remote system installed for less.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Plead da Fif

You'll likely have to ask the dealership about that one. I've never had to rebuild any of my lock cylinders. I'm also not sure if you can buy just the tumblers, or if you have to buy the whole kit.

You might also check with locksmiths in your area. They might be able to do it for you if you bring the cylinder to them. (they charge more if they have to come to you)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Trial User

It's funny you said that, the service manager told me bring the cylinder to a locksmith to save myself lots of hassle of doing it yourself, and it's cheaper than ordering the parts. I was quoted around $40 to have the tumblers replaces and matches to the same existing key.

When I take the panel off to remove the cylinder, do you happen to to know if I will be able to open the door back up once the cylinder is removed and the door is closed? It would be nice to know ahead of time if I will have to keep the door open the whole day or if I'll be able to close and reopen it. Locksmith told me drop the cylinder off at opening and pick up near end of day.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Plead da Fif

Ahaha, I figured as much. That's a fair price, too.

If you reconnect the rods to the door handles, and already have the lock assembly (the one that locks onto the striker) in the unlocked position, then you should still be able to open and close the door. You just won't be able to lock or unlock it with a key since the cylinder will be missing.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Trial User

My wife and I wanted to thank you for all your assistance, this forum was a great help! We are just waiting for the next Saturday with no rain so I can take the panel off and bring the cylinder to the locksmith.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Plead da Fif

No problem, that's what we're here for!

Good luck with it!