Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Loose E brake cable after rear caliper install

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose E brake cable after rear caliper install

Hello ht-
I have a eg coupe with Acura rear disk brakes. I have recently done a break job on back rotors pads and both new calipers. Everything went just fine with the exception of the tension of the e brake cable. The drivers side tightens up just fine but the passenger side stays loose. Loose I mean the tensioner equalizer under the rear console will be tight on the drivers side cable but the passenger side won't tighten up enough to stop the back wheel from spinning. I have searched and searched and seen many people with same issue but have seen anyone reply with a resolution. I have tried to adjust the tension by jacking up rear and pulling one click and tighten the adjustment nut till the breaks start to drag. The drivers side will but the passenger side dose not. I know it's not the cables because they are brand new 00 civic is cables from Honda. Is there a desperate adjustment on the caliper it's self? Do I have a bad reman caliper? Anyone else had this issue? I didn't have this issue till I changed the calipers. Any help is appreciated
Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loose E brake cable after rear caliper install

Normally what you are describing results from a stretched e-brake cable. It's odd that you are encountering this problem with new OEM cables. Are you sure you didn't manage to get something flipped around during the install?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
Normally what you are describing results from a stretched e-brake cable. It's odd that you are encountering this problem with new OEM cables. Are you sure you didn't manage to get something flipped around during the install?
Im 99% sure when they came in I clearly looked them back up on line and labeled the packages. I think the way the brackets are in the lines they will only go on one way anyway. I woulda had to pull off the mounting brackets and swapped them over. Plus I didn't have issue till caliper change
Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 90lsvcrxva
I didn't have this issue till I changed the calipers. Any help is appreciated
It simply could be that the caliper is not self adjusting.
Pump the brake pedal a few times to ensure their is full pressure to the caliper. With the pedal depressed excercise the parking brake handle about a dozen times. See if there is any difference in the handle adjustment/does the wheel hold.

You may need to have help in doing the following.
Have someone hold the brake pedal(parking brake off), and another person manually actuate that calipers lever several times. You may need to apply pressure directly to the piston face, usually with a large flat head screwdriver, and then actuate the lever on the caliper manually.

The way the mechanism works is it has a one way clutch, a screw jack, and the lever that actuates the screw jack. But if there is not pressure, or enough rotation on the piston, the one way clutch mechanism may not ever engage.

This is an MR2 rear caliper, but the mechanics of it are similar if not the same.
http://www.mr2turbo.info/pics/rearcaliper.html
Sometimes those self adjusters seize up if they are not used/been sitting on a shelf