Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

97 Ex: Flushing out power steering fluid. How to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Icon7 97 Ex: Flushing out power steering fluid. How to?

Hey all

97 Ex
M/T

I thought my rack was leaking but upon refilling the reservoir, I found out it wasnt. The fluid is jet black and the car has 223,xxx miles. I also have a feeling that it had the original transmission fluid so I wouldnt be surprised if the PS was original.

Any recommendations on what fluid to use? and how to flush out the entire system?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 Ex: Flushing out power steering fluid. How to?

Take a finger or a screwdriver, make sure it's clean, dip into the fluid and put it onto a white paper towel. If it's black then I would change the fluid, if it's yellow then old fluid that expose to air will turn yellow. There are 2 ways to do it.
1) You need a partner to turn the wheel when the front end is jack up. Take the return hose off, look to see how fluent the fluid is coming out of the reservoir. It it drips super slow then the screen in the reservoir might be clogged. Make sure you clean it out before putting in new fluid. Put in new fluid, make sure it's only Honda's fluid. Now run the engine and have your friend turn the steering wheel. Keep putting fluid in and don't let the pump run dry. Once you see new fluid comes out of the return hose, stop the engine, put the hose back on, use a new clamp. Top the fluid up and check for leak after a short drive.
2) One man technique. Draw all of the old fluid out of the reservoir. Look down to see if the screen is clear. Put new fluid in. Jack the front end of the car up. Use jack stands. Run the car, turn the wheel lock to lock 3X. Turn engine off, draw fluid out. Put in new fluid. I did it this way about 4-5 times and done. Remember, even new fluid expose to air will turn yellow. So if it's yellow it does not mean the fluid is old. Doing it this way, you don't remove 100% of the old fluid but most of it. It's like a steering flush in a way.
What ever you do, use only Honda's fluid or you might get a leak. I bought 7 bottles, but only used 5.75 bottles.
Take your time, don't spill any fluid and dispose at your local auto part store.
Good luck.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The return hose is the bottom, im assuming??

and get 5 of these bottles?

Thanks for the information you gave me man, im definitely going to use it. Ill post up a pic of the PS fluid in a bit.

Last edited by Arthas; 06-04-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How close do you live to Downtown Fullerton? Thats my favoriteee!!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This will help alottttt....

It's for a 2002 Accord but also applies to the 94-97 Accords:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xstszfz1Dp8
Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WRONG! The Honda factory service manual says to jack the front up so the wheels are off of the ground. Disconnect the power steering return hose from the pump. Put the hose into an empty container. Start the engine. Move the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock several times until no fluid is coming out. It is ok to run it dry for a short time.Then reconnect the return hose. Refill with genuine Honda power steering fluid. Then move the steering wheel again left and right to bleed the air out of the system. This is the PROPER WAY.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Yes, that's what the service manual says. I've always done it that way with no problems but, I've never had black fluid.

To the OP: Just clean or get new screen (cheap insurance) and flush it as best you can.

When you disconnect the return hose put the end in a small container like a bottle instead of just using a drip pan. That fluid will come shooting out of there very quickly and get all over everything.

ALWAYS use Honda fluid.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought 4 quarts of Honda power steering fluid and did exactly what the video said. When I went to add more fluid it only needed 2.5 quarts. Drove it around the block and when I got back the fluid was black lol. I drained the container and put in the .5 that was left in a bottle and left it at that.
WTF? lol.. Im going to drive it for a little more and drain the container to put the last bottle in. I guess I didnt do a flush but whatever, at least new fluid is in there.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Raise the reservoir, then disconnect the return hose (A) to drain the reservoir. Take care not to spill the fluid on the body and parts. Wipe off any spilled fluid at once.

NOTE: Inspect the reservoir screen for any debris. If the reservoir screen is clogged, replace the reservoir.

Connect a hose (B) of suitable diameter to the disconnected return hose, and put the hose end in a suitable container.

Start the engine, let it run at idle, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. When fluid stops running out of the hose, shut off the engine. Discard the fluid.

Reinstall the return hose on the reservoir.

Fill the reservoir to the upper level line (C).

Start the engine and run it at fast idle, then turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times to bleed air from the system.

Recheck the fluid level and add more if necessary. Do not fill the reservoir beyond the upper level line.

If the fluid is contaminated, dark, or discolored, repeat procedure as necessary.

that's how your suppost to do it per honda.. i just use a machine turn the wheel all the way to right which will circulate the fluid and drain and add fluid in the res and that works best for me.....honda also says the p/s fluid is good for the life of the car
Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I need to do it again. :/
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say the best way to do it on yoru own would be to remove the return line and put it in a container and block off the hole in the res. then fill that will new fluid and keep that full and as you turn the wheel back and forth the old fluid will come out the return line and new fluid will go in though the feed line that way the pump doesn't go dry and you can keep doing that untill the fluid coming out is clean not sure how much fluid that will take but on my website it says 1.58qts is the capacity plus res. so i'd do 2 quarts but since you said you already did it once 1.5 quarts should be good
Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My fluid was prettty much black too so I used a syringe and hose to pull the old out of the reservoir. Then I refilled and ran it. Did this over a period of 3 or 4 days. The fluid is now much cleaner than it was before i started the process. Not a full "flush" job but i think i got most of the old fluid out that was in there.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice to know that Honda says the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle!!

Im just trying to do some preventive maintenance.