Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

f22 what is causing spark knock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f22 what is causing spark knock?

1992 accord automatic in stock trim. The car has trouble cold starting, but I'm sure I can fix that with a coolant sensor.

The problem I can't seem to find is what sounds like some pretty hard spark knocking above 2800 rpms. The noise never sounds at lower rpms. When the knock/rattle happens, I can feel the engine miss/stumble a bit...AND the tachometer shoots crazy high. I have another car I've been swapping parts from but I haven't helped the problem yet.

Anybody have any suggestions as for what direction to look?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: f22 what is causing spark knock?

Is the check engine light on?

If you know that you have an issue with the engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor, that could also cause improper timing/knock/misfire issues.

If the tach is starting to read improperly. It could be an intermittent ignitor (ICM) issue as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a code 6 out of the ECM...which I've read is the temp sensor under the distributor. I'm dumb for not swapping it already...I'm going to do that here shortly.

Isn't the ICM you mention inside the distributor?...because I have already tried another distributor and the problem still there.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ECT sensor is used to help determine the final ignition timing. Fix the code 6 issue and then go from there.

Yes the ICM is in the distributor.

What do your spark plugs look like? You can tell a lot from a spark plug.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the coolant sensor. Cold starting problem is now fixed.

It didn't help the "what sounds like some major spark knocking" though. The plugs aren't white nor black...light brown I'd say...look normal to me.

I'm about to swap in another distributor and try again.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you reset the ECU after you replaced the sensor? Is the noise found only when the engine is under load?

Instead of replacing parts you should troubleshoot and start crossing off possible issues. A Helms or Haynes manual would help. Seems odd that the Tach goes weird even after you replaced the distributor. That could be a wiring issue, bad connection or a short in a wire.

Check your engine grounds and all the individual wire connectors for your ignition/distributor.

Here are some other possible issues for rough running or misfire;
• Fuel injector (Fuel pressure)
• MAP sensor
• EGR system
• TDC/CKP or CYP sensor
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You were on it GhostAccord

Problem was in the distributor. I suppose when I swapped the distributor before maybe the coolant sensor was keeping things from being just right. Fortunately I have another Accord here to swap parts from. I put the bad DIST in the other car and, while it didn't seem to spark knock as bad, it did miss/surge and have a crazy tach.

I'm headed to the junkyard to see if I can find a distributor...maybe I'll just grab only the ignitor to save a few bucks.

Thanks for your help man!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your welcome

Should check the primary and secondary coil windings on the ign. coil while your at it.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Did you reset the ECU after you replaced the sensor? Is the noise found only when the engine is under load?

Instead of replacing parts you should troubleshoot and start crossing off possible issues. A Helms or Haynes manual would help. Seems odd that the Tach goes weird even after you replaced the distributor. That could be a wiring issue, bad connection or a short in a wire.

Check your engine grounds and all the individual wire connectors for your ignition/distributor.

Here are some other possible issues for rough running or misfire;
• Fuel injector (Fuel pressure)
• MAP sensor
• EGR system
• TDC/CKP or CYP sensor
ghost while this is up and talked about the little black pickup deep in the dizzy ( i beleave its the cyp) is whats wrong and causing me to need a new dizzy inless you know a way or place to buy the indivudal part
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mudpuppy4life
ghost while this is up and talked about the little black pickup deep in the dizzy ( i beleave its the cyp) is whats wrong and causing me to need a new dizzy inless you know a way or place to buy the indivudal part
Sorry boss. That is a part that I have not tried to source individually yet. If you go to a pick your part junk yard, you could try to remove one from the distributor yourself.

I have a couple down in the garage. I'll see if I can dig one out and get a manufacturers part number from it. Most times that is how you can track down the individual electronic parts. Whether or not they sell them off the shelf is a different story though.