Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

CRV ENGINE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV ENGINE PROBLEMS

Hi
I have 2002 Honda CRV Auto V tech, its done 138,000 miles and has full service history.

I took it to my local garage as the engine management light came on, and once you reached around 40mph the engine would miss, if you put a lot of revs on for example going up a hill, it also misfires. I believe the fault code is 12959 but not 100% sure, after 2 weeks my local garage can not sort the problem so have taken it to the Honda main dealer.

They have put it on their computer and its saying a problem with the v tech system, they wanted to know if its regularly serviced, told them yes, also wanted to know if its run low on oil, told them no, it has no leaks and hardly ever uses any oil.

They are wanting to change the oil & filter and clean other filters out, my Honda has a timing chain, worst case they are saying it might have skipped a tooth??? Had it going on 7 years and never had a problem with it, has anybody ever had anything like this and how did you deal with it? Any help would be great.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CRV ENGINE PROBLEMS

I have seen timing chains stretch and cause misfire and drive ability problems.
A reputable shop should be able to diagnose timing being off.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CRV ENGINE PROBLEMS

Originally Posted by Hudsong
Hi
I have 2002 Honda CRV Auto V tech, its done 138,000 miles and has full service history.

I took it to my local garage as the engine management light came on, and once you reached around 40mph the engine would miss, if you put a lot of revs on for example going up a hill, it also misfires. I believe the fault code is 12959 but not 100% sure, after 2 weeks my local garage can not sort the problem so have taken it to the Honda main dealer.

They have put it on their computer and its saying a problem with the v tech system, they wanted to know if its regularly serviced, told them yes, also wanted to know if its run low on oil, told them no, it has no leaks and hardly ever uses any oil.

They are wanting to change the oil & filter and clean other filters out, my Honda has a timing chain, worst case they are saying it might have skipped a tooth??? Had it going on 7 years and never had a problem with it, has anybody ever had anything like this and how did you deal with it? Any help would be great.
I have seen several instances with stretched timing chains on the 2.4L. Honda claims it has to do with lack of service (oil changes), but we've seen a couple customers that change their oil ever 3,000 and still had the problem. Checking the timing and the chain for stretching is easy enough for a shop to check. Another common issue is the VTEC pressure switch. The "filter(s)" they want to clean is probably the VTEC screen that is a part of the VTEC gaasket. That is probably a good idea. At 138,000 it might be a good time to replace it. If you do take it to a shop to get the timing checked, be sure to pay close attention to the cam lobes for pits and unusual wear.