Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
steveare
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Icon6 Oil leak near Oil Filter

I own a 1997 Honda Accord LX, 4-door sedan. Judging between what I can glean between my owner's manual list of engine specs and what I've been able to gather from Wikipedia, my engine is an F22B2. I am not 100% certain of this, maybe 90%, but specs are at the end of this post.

So here's the deal: it's got 212,000 miles on it, still runs like a champ, but it's developed a leak from right where the oil filter screws into the block (?). Not pouring out, but a fairly steady drip while running, intermittently at rest. My mechanic says he can't fix it, advises me to find someone who can (and would) seal the crack (or whatever the opening is) by welding it closed. One of the mechanics said aluminum welding, the other disagreed. Assuming some sort of welding will be required (please disagree if so inclined), I'm desirous of being able to describe to the welder exactly what and where to weld but lack any fotos or diagrams or labels to convey this information.

From my research, and from the VIN, I've been able to ascertain the engine was manufactured at Honda of America, the VDS is CD563 (I understand what the VDS means but not what this CD563 means, per se), the serial number of the engine itself (digits 12-17) is 059665.

I want to keep this vehicle for sentimental if not financial reasons. My question to you is: from what I've been able to describe, does my mechanic's solution sound valid to you? i.e., would it require aluminum welding to seal? and how would I convey this to a prospective welder?

('better too many specs than too little' was my thought)

Engine liters 2.2
Cylinder configuration I-4
# of valves 16
Engine displacement 132 cu.in.
Engine horsepower 130-hp @ 5,300RPM
Engine torque 139 lb.-ft. @ 4,200RPM
Engine bore x stroke 3.35" x 3.74"
(85mm x 95mm)
Compression ratio 8.8 : 1
Sequential multi-point fuel injection Standard
Recommended fuel regular unleaded
Displacement 2156 cc
Valve Configuration SOHC, 16 valves
Compression ratio 8.8:1
Max power 130 hp @ 5300 rpm
Max torque 139 ft·lbf @ 4200 rpm
Redline 6200 rpm
Rev limit 6900 rpm
Firing order 1-3-4-2
Fuel control OBD-I OBD-II PGM-FI
steveare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
poorman212
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Oil leak near Oil Filter

oil pressure switch, then go for oil filter housing to block o-ring, I think maybe it is called the oil cooler o-ring.
poorman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
UgandaHonda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

first off your car came stock with f22b2 if it says VTEC ontop of the valve cover then its f22b1 but besides that im an oil tech at walmart haha i know did the mechanic take the filter off to make sure it wasnt double gasket usually it will pour out if so but in some cases drips im sure ur mechanic checked that though
UgandaHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Badbenz94
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

What Poorman said, try the oil pressure switch. It's mounted right above the oil filter. That's what was causing my leak.
Badbenz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
MC Slide Hammer
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

there's an o ring on that cooler block. my car had a leak (major leak) from there at some point.

very easy replace once you get under there. oring itself costs about 2 dollars from dealership.
MC Slide Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
nus_dogg
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Honda Accord

F22B2 has oil cooler??? I know the H-Series does but not my F22B1, so that makes me think that B2 won't have one either, but I can be wrong.

OP, it can be your oil pressure switch thats leaking.
Originally Posted by toycar View Post
Breaking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.
nus_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
holmesnmanny
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Clearly you need to be absolutely sure where it's leaking from. Check one more time. I would think if it's a crack it'd be a fairly big leak considering the location.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
steveare
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

thanks, all!

so far the only "disagreement" is the advice from my mechanic, that it would require welding to solve. i definitely prefer your solutions and those of the others at honda-tech. it will be interesting to see which solution actually solves the problem, and/or whether i need to look for another mechanic, although his solution would not have lined his pockets, either. at least he was able to identify the source or general area of the leak itself.

i'll be sure to keep y'all posted and thanks again.

steve Are.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
harber79
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

+1 on the oil pressure switch; start there!
harber79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
steveare
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

thanks, harber79. i'm getting with my mechanic tomorrow, haven't quite given up on him yet. thanks again to all. it's nice y'all purty much agree.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
StreetsideStig
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Here's the oil pressure switch the guys are talking about. Mine was leaking like crazy a couple years ago, but the part was really cheap and easy to replace. Make sure to drain your oil first if you try it.
Attached Images

StreetsideStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
gentek1145
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

iF Your "mechanic" can't fix a simple leak like this, he isnt a mechanic at all.
Originally Posted by skittle_107 View Post
more then you can afford pal, Ferrari
gentek1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
holmesnmanny
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

If it's the oil pressure switch, assuming it's not faulty, all you need to do is take it off and add some teflon tape to the threads and put it back on. But they are cheap so you could easily just replace it.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
poorman212
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nus_dogg View Post
F22B2 has oil cooler??? I know the H-Series does but not my F22B1, so that makes me think that B2 won't have one either, but I can be wrong.

Nus-I was reaching on the o-ring, I'm old and get confused. I know some have the o-ring, some don't......that is why I asked for help/confirmation....Thanks.

EDIT:wait, I see that this was on a different site...sorry.

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...il-leak-40170/
poorman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
SOHCMAN
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Mine starter leaking around a year ago and I first took it out, re honda-bonded, and reinstalled. Still leaked!

It turns out it was leaking through the internal housing, so it had to be replaced with new. Have not had a leak since.

You dont need to drain your oil, but you will gain better access with the filter removed, and that seems to drain the residual oil from behind the switch. Dont over-tighten or you will strip the threads (obviously).
Old 05-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
steveare
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

HONDA TECH RULES!

Kudos to All of You!

Here's what I've received so far:

From HondaPlatinum @ JustAnswer:
What else would you like to know . If it's is a crack Hinda bond will seal it . If it's the oil filter oring replacing the oring will fix the issue.

From Poorman212 @ Honda Accord Forum (HAF) :
Saw this somewhere else......Again, I'd have someone check the oil pressure switch. Also the "adapter" that the oil filter screws onto has an o-ring (need help for the proper name and part number...help me here folks) behind it that will sometimes leak.

From Poorman212 @ Honda Tech (HT) :
oil pressure switch, then go for oil filter housing to block o-ring, I think maybe it is called the oil cooler o-ring.

From UgandaHonda @ HT:
first off your car came stock with f22b2 if it says VTEC ontop of the valve cover then its f22b1 but besides that im an oil tech at walmart haha i know did the mechanic take the filter off to make sure it wasnt double gasket usually it will pour out if so but in some cases drips im sure ur mechanic checked that though

From Badbenz94 @ HT:
What Poorman said, try the oil pressure switch. It's mounted right above the oil filter. That's what was causing my leak.

From MC Slide Hammer @ HT:
there's an o ring on that cooler block. my car had a leak (major leak) from there at some point.
very easy replace once you get under there. oring itself costs about 2 dollars from dealership.

From nus_dogg @ HT:

From holmesnmanny @ HT:
Clearly you need to be absolutely sure where it's leaking from. Check one more time. I would think if it's a crack it'd be a fairly big leak considering the location.

From harber79 @ HT:
+1 on the oil pressure switch; start there!

From holmesnmanny @ HT:
If it's the oil pressure switch, assuming it's not faulty, all you need to do is take it off and add some teflon tape to it and put it back on. But they are cheap so you could easily just replace it.

From SOHCMAN @ HT:
Mine starte[d] leaking around a year ago and I first took it out, re honda-bonded, and reinstalled. Still leaked!
It turns out it was leaking through the internal housing, so it had to be replaced with new. Have not had a leak since.
You dont need to drain your oil, but you will gain better access with the filter removed, and that seems to drain the residual oil from behind the switch. Dont over-tighten or you will strip the threads (obviously).

Not being a mechanic myself and for some reason feeling loyal to the first mechanic I chose when I arrived in Maryland, I am giving the guy another chance but am also forwarding on to him all of your combined input. Not one of you suggested, as my mechanic did, that I'd need to find someone willing and able to seal the leak via aluminum welding. Y'all have saved me a bundle, I'm thinking. Thanks.

submit to reddit

Tags
1992, 1994, accord, america, big, car, cooler, filter, honda, leak, oil, repair, running, specs, vehicle