Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oil leak near Oil Filter

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Oil leak near Oil Filter

I own a 1997 Honda Accord LX, 4-door sedan. Judging between what I can glean between my owner's manual list of engine specs and what I've been able to gather from Wikipedia, my engine is an F22B2. I am not 100% certain of this, maybe 90%, but specs are at the end of this post.

So here's the deal: it's got 212,000 miles on it, still runs like a champ, but it's developed a leak from right where the oil filter screws into the block (?). Not pouring out, but a fairly steady drip while running, intermittently at rest. My mechanic says he can't fix it, advises me to find someone who can (and would) seal the crack (or whatever the opening is) by welding it closed. One of the mechanics said aluminum welding, the other disagreed. Assuming some sort of welding will be required (please disagree if so inclined), I'm desirous of being able to describe to the welder exactly what and where to weld but lack any fotos or diagrams or labels to convey this information.

From my research, and from the VIN, I've been able to ascertain the engine was manufactured at Honda of America, the VDS is CD563 (I understand what the VDS means but not what this CD563 means, per se), the serial number of the engine itself (digits 12-17) is 059665.

I want to keep this vehicle for sentimental if not financial reasons. My question to you is: from what I've been able to describe, does my mechanic's solution sound valid to you? i.e., would it require aluminum welding to seal? and how would I convey this to a prospective welder?

('better too many specs than too little' was my thought)

Engine liters 2.2
Cylinder configuration I-4
# of valves 16
Engine displacement 132 cu.in.
Engine horsepower 130-hp @ 5,300RPM
Engine torque 139 lb.-ft. @ 4,200RPM
Engine bore x stroke 3.35" x 3.74"
(85mm x 95mm)
Compression ratio 8.8 : 1
Sequential multi-point fuel injection Standard
Recommended fuel regular unleaded
Displacement 2156 cc
Valve Configuration SOHC, 16 valves
Compression ratio 8.8:1
Max power 130 hp @ 5300 rpm
Max torque 139 ft·lbf @ 4200 rpm
Redline 6200 rpm
Rev limit 6900 rpm
Firing order 1-3-4-2
Fuel control OBD-I OBD-II PGM-FI
Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil leak near Oil Filter

oil pressure switch, then go for oil filter housing to block o-ring, I think maybe it is called the oil cooler o-ring.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first off your car came stock with f22b2 if it says VTEC ontop of the valve cover then its f22b1 but besides that im an oil tech at walmart haha i know did the mechanic take the filter off to make sure it wasnt double gasket usually it will pour out if so but in some cases drips im sure ur mechanic checked that though
Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What Poorman said, try the oil pressure switch. It's mounted right above the oil filter. That's what was causing my leak.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's an o ring on that cooler block. my car had a leak (major leak) from there at some point.

very easy replace once you get under there. oring itself costs about 2 dollars from dealership.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

F22B2 has oil cooler??? I know the H-Series does but not my F22B1, so that makes me think that B2 won't have one either, but I can be wrong.

OP, it can be your oil pressure switch thats leaking.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clearly you need to be absolutely sure where it's leaking from. Check one more time. I would think if it's a crack it'd be a fairly big leak considering the location.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, all!

so far the only "disagreement" is the advice from my mechanic, that it would require welding to solve. i definitely prefer your solutions and those of the others at honda-tech. it will be interesting to see which solution actually solves the problem, and/or whether i need to look for another mechanic, although his solution would not have lined his pockets, either. at least he was able to identify the source or general area of the leak itself.

i'll be sure to keep y'all posted and thanks again.

steve Are.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 on the oil pressure switch; start there!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, harber79. i'm getting with my mechanic tomorrow, haven't quite given up on him yet. thanks again to all. it's nice y'all purty much agree.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the oil pressure switch the guys are talking about. Mine was leaking like crazy a couple years ago, but the part was really cheap and easy to replace. Make sure to drain your oil first if you try it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iF Your "mechanic" can't fix a simple leak like this, he isnt a mechanic at all.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's the oil pressure switch, assuming it's not faulty, all you need to do is take it off and add some teflon tape to the threads and put it back on. But they are cheap so you could easily just replace it.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
F22B2 has oil cooler??? I know the H-Series does but not my F22B1, so that makes me think that B2 won't have one either, but I can be wrong.

Nus-I was reaching on the o-ring, I'm old and get confused. I know some have the o-ring, some don't......that is why I asked for help/confirmation....Thanks.

EDIT:wait, I see that this was on a different site...sorry.

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...il-leak-40170/
Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine starter leaking around a year ago and I first took it out, re honda-bonded, and reinstalled. Still leaked!

It turns out it was leaking through the internal housing, so it had to be replaced with new. Have not had a leak since.

You dont need to drain your oil, but you will gain better access with the filter removed, and that seems to drain the residual oil from behind the switch. Dont over-tighten or you will strip the threads (obviously).
Old 05-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HONDA TECH RULES!

Kudos to All of You!

Here's what I've received so far:

From HondaPlatinum @ JustAnswer:
What else would you like to know . If it's is a crack Hinda bond will seal it . If it's the oil filter oring replacing the oring will fix the issue.

From Poorman212 @ Honda Accord Forum (HAF) :
Saw this somewhere else......Again, I'd have someone check the oil pressure switch. Also the "adapter" that the oil filter screws onto has an o-ring (need help for the proper name and part number...help me here folks) behind it that will sometimes leak.

From Poorman212 @ Honda Tech (HT) :
oil pressure switch, then go for oil filter housing to block o-ring, I think maybe it is called the oil cooler o-ring.

From UgandaHonda @ HT:
first off your car came stock with f22b2 if it says VTEC ontop of the valve cover then its f22b1 but besides that im an oil tech at walmart haha i know did the mechanic take the filter off to make sure it wasnt double gasket usually it will pour out if so but in some cases drips im sure ur mechanic checked that though

From Badbenz94 @ HT:
What Poorman said, try the oil pressure switch. It's mounted right above the oil filter. That's what was causing my leak.

From MC Slide Hammer @ HT:
there's an o ring on that cooler block. my car had a leak (major leak) from there at some point.
very easy replace once you get under there. oring itself costs about 2 dollars from dealership.

From nus_dogg @ HT:

From holmesnmanny @ HT:
Clearly you need to be absolutely sure where it's leaking from. Check one more time. I would think if it's a crack it'd be a fairly big leak considering the location.

From harber79 @ HT:
+1 on the oil pressure switch; start there!

From holmesnmanny @ HT:
If it's the oil pressure switch, assuming it's not faulty, all you need to do is take it off and add some teflon tape to it and put it back on. But they are cheap so you could easily just replace it.

From SOHCMAN @ HT:
Mine starte[d] leaking around a year ago and I first took it out, re honda-bonded, and reinstalled. Still leaked!
It turns out it was leaking through the internal housing, so it had to be replaced with new. Have not had a leak since.
You dont need to drain your oil, but you will gain better access with the filter removed, and that seems to drain the residual oil from behind the switch. Dont over-tighten or you will strip the threads (obviously).

Not being a mechanic myself and for some reason feeling loyal to the first mechanic I chose when I arrived in Maryland, I am giving the guy another chance but am also forwarding on to him all of your combined input. Not one of you suggested, as my mechanic did, that I'd need to find someone willing and able to seal the leak via aluminum welding. Y'all have saved me a bundle, I'm thinking. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Trial User

I have a 1998 Honda Civic Ex and I was told after dye revealed my leaks that my biggest oil leak is at my oil filter housing, oil filter adapter. What parts do I need to replace and while I'm at it, what parts do you suggest?
Thanks....
Old 02-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by weaverdramz
I have a 1998 Honda Civic Ex and I was told after dye revealed my leaks that my biggest oil leak is at my oil filter housing, oil filter adapter. What parts do I need to replace and while I'm at it, what parts do you suggest?
Thanks....
Also, I keep getting a code: cylinder 2 misfire.
The wires, spark plugs and cap has been replaced. It was ok for a little while and here and there my check engine light comes on and it's always the same code. Can you please provide me with suggestions as to where to go next?
Thanks again...