Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Element & CR-V
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
LiL JoN
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 98 crv front suspension noise

just picked up a 98 ex crv 5 speed and every time i go over a bump or crack on the road makes a sound like something is loose...like it wobbles around but on flat road no noise could it be the shocks?? or ???? help any suggestions?? thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
LiL JoN
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 98 crv front suspension noise

thats what i was thinking bout .......any one else??
Old 02-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
gullvingen
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

Front stabilizer bar links are notorious on this model. Cheap aftermarket links available.
gullvingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Targa250R
be professional
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL JoN View Post
just picked up a 98 ex crv 5 speed and every time i go over a bump or crack on the road makes a sound like something is loose...like it wobbles around but on flat road no noise could it be the shocks?? or ???? help any suggestions?? thanks
Shocks themselves don't make noise.

A clunking, banging, or rattling noise over bumps in a '97-01 CR-V is most often caused by bad sway bar end links and/or sway bar bushings, bad ball joints, or less commonly, bad upper shock mount bushings.

Get underneath the car and check all of the ball joints and the sway bar links and bushings for play.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
INVN01
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Civic

Send a message via AIM to INVN01

I had a similar problem with my 98 V. It turned out to be sway bar end links. It was a VERY cheap fix. LOL!
INVN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
JDMDrifter05
Honda-Tech Member
2000 Honda CR-V
My Garage

My left front stab link is broken and that clunks when i hit potholes, curbs and bumps. I'm also getting a little noise from my right front balljoint having a little play in it.
JDMDrifter05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
LiL JoN
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

thanks to you all gonna check it out tommorow
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
hondabinge
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Civic

any updates on this???
i have a 00 CRV with the same front end noise. i just replaced the front struts last week and replaced the swaybar end links like a year ago, still noise. balljoints seem tight, bushings look good, cant get extra play from the bushings that i can tell. i have yet to see upper strut bushings go bad in a honda, if so what all would i look for to see if theyre bad??
thanks for your time.
hondabinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
hondabinge
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Civic

MY UPDATE:

checked swaybar end links and they were still tight and good. removed swaybar bushings hoping they might be the problem. instead of buying anything i just wrapped black electrical tape around swaybar where bushings go (to make the bushings tighter to swaybar), installed bushings, and took it for a test run; no more front end noise!! so i will now purchase new swaybar bushings and problem is solved! cheap easy fix thank goodness.
hondabinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
red civic standard
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to red civic standard

Definitely the front swaybar bushings that cause the mild clunk. $6 at Napa.

Careful removing the bolts that hold the u bracket that holds up the swaybar as these can easily brake off.
no tach
zzzzz

Motor setup 2005 --&gt; Dyno tuned

NEW CAR!! 89 civic AWD-T
red civic standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
92integraVTECgsr
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I shall try the sway bar bushings this weekend. I have 2 CR-V's and they both do this. On the 97 I changed the lower ball joins and tie rod ends and still making the noise. My friend who is a tech at Acura said it was the end links. So I just bought a 99 and the noise was worse. So I changed the end links on it tonight and it barely changed it.

I will try the sway bar bushings this weekend. I want to pin point the solution one part at a time that way I know for sure.

I will post again once I've changed them.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
crexer
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to crexer

you guys are going to kill me because I brought this back from the dead, I have the same problem with my 99 crv. I have changed shock/spring, SB end links, upper control arms,and still hearing a clunking noise going over bumps from the front passenger side. anyone ever pin point the problem?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
FasterScooter
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Crexer, I have run across this issue several times before. If after you replace all the worn suspension and steering parts you still have the noise, the problem is in your upper A arms. Jack up the car and support the front wheel. Remove the 2 A arm bolts at the shock tower. inspect the inside of the wheel well/shock tower for body sealer in the A arm mounting areas, remove the sealer with a scraper, careful not to scrape the paint.If you do scrape the paint make sure you touch it up as that is a prime area for rust to form. Lastly use NEW FLANGE BOLTS and reinstall the A arms, do not tighten the flange bolts. let the car down, bounce the front end a few times and then torque the flange bolts to 73N-m. The flange bolts are 10x68mm, part #90172-s04-003 and you will need 4 of them if you do both sides. Hope this helps. As much as I run into this maybe it should be a stickie.

Last edited by FasterScooter; 02-18-2013 at 01:01 PM.
FasterScooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
sliverSE.V
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

bump it up for some help...

okay so been busy (school) to really do much on the 01 CRV other than it's duty DAILY

Anyways recently I've been getting some suspension/noise from my front end...mainly from the driver side but passenger side as well slightly perhaps? It almost sounds sort of like my brakes are sticky or low, almost like a quick grind/clunk noise when I let off the brake paddle. It only happens when I am at a stop and come off it, again only when I let off the brake paddle to transition myself to accelerate. It's really weird and I'm can't figure what it could be. I looked at my front end links and they look good.

-Read some of the post already maybe could be the end links in my rear? or front end is loose?(but looks good) But then could it be the control arm in the front as well as some had say? Seems fine to me. IDK like I said I just hear it clunk/grind when I let go off the brake paddle (again my best way to describe this is like a sticky brake feel/clunk noise when I let off the brake paddle)

I checked my front brakes and I still have a good chunk of pad left on the brakes(both side) so checks out there and nothing loose...guessing it only happened after someone swiped me in the rear quarter panel?

any help LMK

Last edited by sliverSE.V; 05-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.
sliverSE.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #15
Sticker Bomb
Honda-Tech Member
1998 Honda CR-V

Jason Storie JDM Mayh3m JDM_Mayhem, JS_JDM, Sticker_Bomb_Grafix

Make sure your front brakes have enough brake lube on the sliders and on the side of the pads where they go into the caliper bracket. That will make them to make noise when braking as well.

also check your torque mounts for the transmission and engine (mounts that are on the front of the engine and transmission that go into the frame) They always wear out over the years with this design and that will cause a clunking noise when you let off the brakes as the engine torques up again and moves more then it should.

Also check your upper and lower ball joints, sway bar bushings, control arm bushing (making sure they are not cracked really badly). All these will cause noises when driving and braking, so give them a good check.
Sticker Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
sliverSE.V
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

^thanks everything seems fine like i said but I'll have to recheck everything really good once again when I'm done with school-got finals this week...will update if I find anything
sliverSE.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #17
CRXB5
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (2)

Any updates on this I still have my issue after replacing all the sway bar endlinks and bushings, It sounds like its primarily coming from passenger side beneathe the floor/dash.. Are the bolts in this picture what fasterscooter was talking about? #11?
http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/p...hassis/knuckle
CRXB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
nathan8210
Honda-Tech Member
1998 Honda CR-V

Mine was clunking loudly, 250k and lack of maintance. Just bought few weeks now and I immediately got rid of the noises. Replaced outer tie rods (boots were torn and joint had to much play). SwayBarEnd links notorious for making noise and replaced the bushings as well. Added coilovers which has nothing to do with the noise lol. So I would check your outer tie rods for those whom replaced swaybar portion.
nathan8210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
FasterScooter
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Number 11 in the drawing.
FasterScooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
GMad
Honda-Tech Member
1987 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

My drop links/stabilizer bar/sway bar links (separated by a common language) were worn on my 2000 V when I got it. I put some new ones on and still had a very faint noise when going over severe bumps, so I replaced the anti roll bar bushes and its been silent ever since..
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
2000, 2002, 98, bar, bushings, changing, crv, endlinks, front, honda, link, problem, problems, stabilizer, suspencion, suspension, sway