Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

EP3 HFP Suspension - Retrofitting New Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EP3 HFP Suspension - Retrofitting New Springs

Hey guys,

Looking at changing out the springs on my HFP/Showa suspension kit on my EP3.

Not sure how much we all know about the HFP kit, but I do know that it did drop the ride height from the stock components by about an inch or so. However, do we know where the drop came from? Was it the spring, or spring perch position on the shock?

I'm very happy with the dampening this kit provides, but I do feel the ride height is a tad high, and is contributing to body roll while circuit driving. I'm guessing that by slightly increasing the spring rate (I'm certain the Showa shocks/struts can handle it) and decreasing the ride height by a little, I can dial in a more compliant cornering characteristic and maybe clean up some understeer. Teamed up with my 22mm rear sway, and 25.4mm front sway bar, a spring upgrade may just be what I need.

Looking at the Swift Sport springs right now, but need to know where the drop comes from on the HFP kit before I go forward. If the ride height ended up being the same after all the trouble, I'd be a little steamed.

Also, the spring rates on the Swift setup are 4K front, 6.6K rear (224lbs, 370lbs), does anyone know what the HFP kit rates are?

Thanks dudes.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EP3 HFP Suspension - Retrofitting New Springs

Get the Tein S-techs. They work in conjunction with the HFP shocks just fine.

FWIW, those springrates listed for the swift's are about the same as the OEM springrate. S-Techs are vastly superior.

However, don't expect miracles. It'll be better with the S-Techs vs. the HFP springs, but not ZOMG! better.

And lower ride height will not help anything. You don't want to be much lower than what the HFP kits puts you.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input Todd.

Wasn't looking for miracles from springs alone, but something slightly stiffer/lower may just be the ticket for my car. I'm on street tires right now (205 width Azenis 615), and I'm still experiencing some intense under-steer on throttle lift when cornering. I'm planning on running 225-235 width RA-1 or A048 next season, and I feel the HFP suspension might not be powerful enough to accommodate the extra cornering loads of a true Sport Tyre. Not looking at outfitting a ***** out race car, but putting a little more emphasis on one end of the dual duty daily driver (hence not inquiring about anything too aggressive).

Having this in mind, would you still recommend the S-Techs?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 AM

S-Techs are the best "alternate" springs for the HFP shocks, period.

If you decide to get serious with the car, then you'll want to look at a setup with stiffer shocks/springs, such as the Progress coilover kit or something else of quality.

However, don't cheap out and get budget coilovers should you choose to go this route. HFP shocks/S-Techs blow cheap coilovers away.

I ran S-Techs/A-Spec shocks on my RSX-S for a couple of years. It was a good daily driver/autox setup.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*SIGH* springs set the damping....change the springs and the damping will be off.....the hfp dampers were tuned to the hfp springs, not tien's.........and if you lower the car any more, your rollcenters will go below ground. This will result in corninering loads putting more load on your springs in turns and body roll will increase........in short, your car will handle worse than stock.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mustclime
*SIGH* springs set the damping....change the springs and the damping will be off.....the hfp dampers were tuned to the hfp springs, not tien's.........and if you lower the car any more, your rollcenters will go below ground. This will result in corninering loads putting more load on your springs in turns and body roll will increase........in short, your car will handle worse than stock.
In theory, yes. But, there is a range in which a shock operates. And the S-Techs aren't out of that range and they are actually within 50-60lbs of the HFP springs.

They also will only lower about 0.5" more than the HFP.

That's why they work well on the HFP shocks. Trust me--been there and done that, multiple times on both an EP3 and RSX.