F20B Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F20B Turbo!

I plan on droppin' a turbo on my manual f20b. I know it's high compression and yadda yadda, but it is what it is.

Wanted some opinions on wether or not I should go with h22a4 heads or would it really not make the difference?

And I've noticed there are some cheaper turbo kits out there like those that XS provides. Would it be wise to go with a cheaper turbo kit? Or do you really get what you pay for when it comes to that?

I plan on pushin at MOST 12PSI, but typically around 6 - 8 psi with a modest 325-350 HP. This will be my daily driver so I'm not going for outrageous numbers.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F20B Turbo!

Love all the positive FEEDBACK! KEEP IT COMIN GUYS! lol...
Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes turbo kits are most definitely an example of "you get what you pay for" so stay away from cheap(ebay) kits if at all possible. Buy from a reputable company just checkout the forced induction section of the sponsor marketplace I'm sure you will find what your looking for . Good luck with your project
Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! ... I've also heard people saying "piece together your own"

If I were to do that what individual items would I need to complete the "kit"

And any other things to consider when looking for parts?
Old 06-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Piecing together your own can end up being cheaper if you find good deals on the parts you acquire. You just have to decide if saving money is worth your time searching for parts, dealing with multiple sellers and so forth. that's just my opinion.

As far as what you need for a turbo kit , turbo manifold , turbo , downpipe , wastegate, dumptube , intercooler , intercooler piping , couplers , BOV, oil feed , oil return line , injectors, fuel pump , tune (hondata , aem , neptune etc) few other small misc. things I'm probably forgetting . Those are the main components though .

A few things to consider when shopping for parts , is if your going to keep A/c , power goals , primary use of the car .

Well i think i answered all your questions hope it helps
Old 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!

Considering I just bought new axels rated at 400hp I think for my power I'm lookin to go 350hp max. They should hold up pretty well for atleast a little while you think? If they snap or whatever then I'll just have to get new ones but I think they should be fine? idk.

I do plan on keeping the AC, But I don't understand why that would be a problem? I don't even know where the AC is on my engine. haha.

This is my first build... First honda as a matter of fact. So I'm soaking in all the information I can get.

As for the turbo I guess I'll just go Greddy or turbonetics.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well iam not 100% sure about the F20b but on D series and B series you have to run an A/C compatible turbo manifold due to the A/c compressor being in the way . I'm assuming its the same and that you do need an A/C compatible manifold though since the compressor is bolted in the same location as the D and B series .
Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"6 - 8 psi with a modest 325-350 "

I REALLY think you should do some more research... While true, different turbos at the same pressure level have different outputs, 6-8psi on a stock f20b is probably not going to net you 325 HP...

that's not the point..

Should you buy an xs power kit? Or similar? Well... You might be one of the lucky ones.. Or you might not be... Can you deal with that if you aren't one of the lucky ones, and your turbo grenades, and you need a new motor?

I'm more of a d series guy, so I'm not sure what the h vs f heads will net you. I do know, however, that you should research your power goals, what you intend on doing with the car (an autocross car will have different needs than a high output drag car), and then go from there..

Pick your number, and build your kit around that (buy your components after you know what you want, not a kit... )

My $0.02..