Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C Issues with condensor fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Issues with condensor fan

My condenser fan wont turn on, I am trying to diagnose according to the factory service manual but I am having trouble because for some reason my relay color are different that the factory service manual. Anyone else have this problem? Also I was wondering what/where the thermoswitch in the circuit diagram is. EDIT:it seems that on my car yel/wht and blu/red are reversed. By this I mean that yel/wht goes from the condenser fan relay to the pressure switch and blu/red goes to thermoswitch, or so I assume, I cant tell since it goes into a loom that goes behind the front bumper.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A/C Issues with condensor fan

vehicle year make and model. i'll see if i can find you a troubleshooter

ninja edit: i see in another thread of yours that you've replaced the climate control twice? have you already gone through a troubleshooter or are you just trying to figure **** out looking at the diagram lol. anywho, if the climate control is ok then i wonder if the problem might be related to the a/c thermostat. which i think in your case is the same thing as the thermo switch in diagram above.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
vehicle year make and model. i'll see if i can find you a troubleshooter

ninja edit: i see in another thread of yours that you've replaced the climate control twice? have you already gone through a troubleshooter or are you just trying to figure **** out looking at the diagram lol. anywho, if the climate control is ok then i wonder if the problem might be related to the a/c thermostat. which i think in your case is the same thing as the thermo switch in diagram above.
95 Eg hatch DX stock d15b7. I was wrong about my climate control. I changed it only once, and have the second one in my car. By A/C Thermostat do you mean the plug behind the glove box? In the FSM its supposed to be a 2p but for some reason in my car its a 3p
Old 05-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the plug behind the glove box. it should be a 3 pin.

does the compressor not come on as well? i ask because the troubleshooter is different depending on whether its both not working or just the fan that doesn't come on.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the plug behind the glove box. it should be a 3 pin.

does the compressor not come on as well? i ask because the troubleshooter is different depending on whether its both not working or just the fan that doesn't come on.
Neither the compressor is coming on or the condenser, also I posted in another thread, IDK if its related by the radiator fan doesn't work either.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope not related.

ok here goes

Old 05-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for some reason my FSM page shows a 2p connector. Where did you get that page?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ALLDATA online
Old 05-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I followed the first flow chart, and I guess its the a/c thermostat, I wasn't sure how to run the blu/red out to ground with it plugged in, I just put a wire in it and then hooked it to a body ground, is that right? If so, what is the a/c thermostat? Is it attached to the expansion valve in the evaporator? if so I just replaced it two or so weeks ago.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know where the A/C thermostat is, or if its called something else? because I tried looking up a new one on napa's website and couldn't find it. Also, would it matter if the system is charged or not?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically run a wire to body ground and stuff it into the backside of the connector where the blu/red wire is. when you start the car, the condenser fan should come on. if it doesn't then the t-stat is most likely shot. you do NOT have to have the system charged for the fan to come on, but you do for the compressor to kick on during this test. the pressure switch on the top of the receiver dryer is what's preventing the compressor from turning on because of the lack of refrigerant and pressure.

another name for the a/c thermostat would be thermostatic switch, or the evaporator temperature sensor/switch.

here's how to test it once you get it out. just to be sure it's faulty.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I found the a/c thermostat in the parts diagram, I'm not clear on how to remove it though. It looks like its part of the evaporator but I didn't see it when I pulled it out to clean it, is it in the blower assembly? Its part 24 on the diagram EDIT:D16Sihatch, thanks I just saw that after I posted, any idea on how to remove it? Also would I still do this test with blu/red even though it seems my wires are reversed from the circuit diagram
Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bet it just clips into place i'd have to imagine. i can't find anything specific on how to remove it. as you can see above it says just to "remove the a/c thermostat", so it can't be too hard. if it were particularly confusing or required other steps it would have been mentioned.

Last edited by D16SiHatch; 05-18-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it i bet it just clips into place i'd have to imagine. i can't find anything specific on how to remove it. as you can see above it says just to "remove the a/c thermostat", so it can't be too hard. if it were particularly confusing or required other steps it would have been mentioned.
I know, seems like it should be easy, and I feel dumb, but its not in the evaporator like it shows, I just pulled out the evaporator to clean it, and change my expansion valve, and the only thing in there is the evaporator itself and the expansion valve.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by s13hero
I know, seems like it should be easy, and I feel dumb, but its not in the evaporator like it shows, I just pulled out the evaporator to clean it, and change my expansion valve, and the only thing in there is the evaporator itself and the expansion valve.
I'm an idiot I didn't realize thats what that plug went to, it just pops off the evaporator case.

Last edited by s13hero; 05-18-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha no biggie man. happens to the best of us lol
Old 05-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Lip
Honda-Tech Member

great help..think you can help me now? lol

2000 civic auto. AC compressor was bad...actually...the coil melted and clutch needed to be replaced. It was bad enough that the compressor had to be swapped. After replacing (2 times thanks autozone for the compressor with a new bad clutch) she is working fine. Its now shutting down at idol because i just saw that the fan isn't turning on. So the reason why the first went bad is probably because it wasn't being cooled. How do i test the fan...and if i don't need to test it...do you know which sensor would be bad?

thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM
Trial User

i have a 95 integra and the condensor fan nor the compressor kicks on .. i replaced the climate control unit and still nothing .. i put a new fuse in for the condensor fan , with the ac off i turned the car on and the fuse was fine but when i turn the ac on the fuse pops .. any sugestions????.. bimmer1992@gmail.com thanks