Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Mahle Piston Installed,Cylinder wall scuffs- Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mahle Piston Installed,Cylinder wall scuffs- Advice needed

Hi.
Its my first time posting here, i usualy use S2ki.com since i Own a S2000 but i tought what better place to ask for this problem than Honda-tech

Anyway the problem is simple.. My mechanic Got a EDM Integra Type r DC2 and since it needed Repair, We got an Eagle Crank(Oem was beyond repair) and Rods and Mahle 12.5 Cr 81.25 mm pistons..
everything went well until we cranked it and started right away... and there was some noise thats not usual to honda and got us thinking.. it went away after full worm cycle but was still there on a fresh start.. after 200 miles and checking everything short of removing the head.. we removed the head and saw that the Piston top was sort of slapping the Top side wall which is Really ODD...this is odd since the Piston is tightest at top and fattest at the skirt..
the odd thing is that the piston touches the wall only on the intake side as you can see on the pictures... Pictures speak 1000 words ...exhaust side is clean no marks..
only what you see on the picture.. Tomorrow we will call the shop that bored the block to come by and re-measure the block to confirm that they bored it right but i wanted to post here too if someone has encountered this before..
My mechanic had assembled maybe 1000 engines and he says he never saw something like this..
anyway .. post some comments from experience.. or suggest what it might be..
Mail me at stefce@hotmail.com directly if you would..

thanks for the support in front..
stefce
Attached Images    
Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mahle Piston Installed,Cylinder wall scuffs- Advice needed

Looks as if you may have gas-washed your cylinder walls upon start up. Your piston ring clears 99% of the oil in your cylinder wall during it's cycle, and the remaining protects the piston from melting to the cylinder wall. If unburned gas gets in there, it can remove that coating, leaving the cylinder wall bare. Ring failure, usually occurs quickly after. That would explain the scuff marks.

Check your seals and all clearances in the valve-train before reassembly. Make sure you drop some oil into the cylinder before start-up. I would recommend re-honing the block and new rings before you re-assemble the motor. At that point, it might be a good idea to go .5 larger (block and piston) to ensure a perfect seal.

Best of luck.