Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Originally Posted by Boosted_90Teg
You should have a little rally driver name decal made for the rear 1/4 window, would suit the overall feel.

Looks awesome though, the Tarmacs make it feel very.... British? Dunno, lol but it's good.
Thanks man! I feel the same way... the car has a very european look now... And Im digging it Ive though about a driver decal too, maybe Ill try it and see how it goes. I dont want to come off as obnoxious either though

So in preparation for the next event at NJMP Ive been chipping away at a short list of things I need to take care of on the car. The other day I did some tinkering after work and checked the nitrogen pressures in the shocks.

Since filling them to 170 psi last summer they lost some pressure and were down to 135 psi.

After a shot of nitrogen I reset them to 185, to see if the increased pressure would help in sharper response from the valving (gas compresses less before fluid is forced through to orifice).

Next I decided to finally deal with the LED that fell off my parking light and got lodged in the headlight housing. Does anyone have a source for a good quality LED? These are from Xenith Xenons.

With the bumper off I saw it was getting a little gross underneath so I cleaned things up a bit

Before

After

All set for the night

Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my LED lights came apart too
Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

www.superbrightleds.com has lots of options.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is looking better and better man, one question though, did you change the springs for the shifter cable? The one in the trans? I know mtec sells some and I noticed your shifter had very little to almost no slop in it when you shift in the track day videos you posted. Trying to get rid of as much slop as I can from mine and need some input thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
www.superbrightleds.com has lots of options.
Thanks man, any experience with their products?

Originally Posted by *K20_FA5*
Car is looking better and better man, one question though, did you change the springs for the shifter cable? The one in the trans? I know mtec sells some and I noticed your shifter had very little to almost no slop in it when you shift in the track day videos you posted. Trying to get rid of as much slop as I can from mine and need some input thanks in advance!
I dont in my five speed currently, theyre just stock springs. I dont even have shifter bushings. I do have a set of the Mtec sport springs going into my 6 speed trans when I do the swap.

The lack of slop is completely due to the Buddy Club short shifter. My stock shifter was pretty bad, moved almost as much in gear as it did in neutral lol. The BC shifter is fantastic though, it feels as though it should have come like that stock. The throws are shorter but not by much. The biggest difference is the complete lack of slop

If youre ever looking to pick up a shifter, shoot me a PM, were a distributor for Buddy Club
Old 08-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
One of my LED lights came apart too
Really?? I've been considering about getting one but haven't heard anyone with experience. Looks like I'll be picking two of those up from you and one of those super purdy shg valve covers for me and my buddies fa5. I'll talk one friend into getting the shifter as well, currently have the mugen as but it still has slop. Was about to order the hybrid shifter with their cables, looks like that won't be happening :-) thanks for the advice man! Btw how much is the shifter

Oh and superbriteleds have great products. Have all my interior lights and license lights from them for a little over 3 years and so far so good. Just as bright as day one and quality is great.

Last edited by *K20_FA5*; 08-30-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling/adding comment
Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by *K20_FA5*
Really?? I've been considering about getting one but haven't heard anyone with experience. Looks like I'll be picking two of those up from you and one of those super purdy shg valve covers for me and my buddies fa5. I'll talk one friend into getting the shifter as well, currently have the mugen as but it still has slop. Was about to order the hybrid shifter with their cables, looks like that won't be happening :-) thanks for the advice man! Btw how much is the shifter

Oh and superbriteleds have great products. Have all my interior lights and license lights from them for a little over 3 years and so far so good. Just as bright as day one and quality is great.
Awesome man, sounds good! Ill pm you with more info on the shifter! Thanks for the info on the LED's, also good to hear someone with first hand experience long term I had one of my Xenith led's go out last year, and since the other was still good I just replaced the burned out one to just have an led fall off a month later lol. Both are still working though, so ill check out superbrightled's and pick up a pair to replace these when they inevitably burn out haha.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good man!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine were from superbrightleds
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A few photos from the track photographer at the Watkins Glen event. Decent pictures but not worth the money hes asking to post them without a water mark lol... Getting pumped for the Jersey event next monday. Gotta get the car on the scales to make some setup changes before we leave Sunday

Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

damn man car looks so mean!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't think that drop in can pressure was the pressure drop from screwing the tool on to the can? I know I get a bit of a pressure drop doing this i'm sure yours is worse with that long hose.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eflove
You don't think that drop in can pressure was the pressure drop from screwing the tool on to the can? I know I get a bit of a pressure drop doing this i'm sure yours is worse with that long hose.
No pressure drop is 10-12 psi I had checked and accounted for that when I first recharged them.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So Claudio, Dan and I had a blast at NJMP Lightning course last monday. The car performed great once again with no issues. It was however drift car loose the first session lol.

At Watkin's Glen the car felt pretty good, but had an air toward push at the limit, but better than before changing the bar from soft to mid. So in light of that when I checked the alignment for Jersey I went from 0 rear toe to 1/32" out on each wheel. The rest of the setup stayed the same.

Theresa went out for the 1st session in instructor's group, and after a couple warm up laps she went to brake deep in turn 1 and carry some speed. As soon as the car loaded up it broke loose. It was like this for the rest of the lap, you just couldnt drive the car fast because it was too loose. After a few easier laps Theresa brought it in early so I would have time to make some changes to the car before session 3 which I was in.

I brought the toe back to 0 and went from mid to soft on the rear bar. In my first session the car felt really good. I picked up the course pretty quick due to the amazing amounts of open track (much better than WGI lol). After mine and Theresas second sessions I decided that since the car felt a little pushy in both left hand turns on the track that I would make a cross weight change. After going up one turn on the right rear spring the car felt like it should, behaving the same when turning both directions.

I cant describe how much fun I had at Lightning. It was just the perfect course, with a fast flow and a very loose feel. The car was still on the loose side at the end of the day but I really enjoy driving the car like that, and once I get smoother and faster Ill be able to be more precise with not sliding the car too much

Here is some video from my last session:

And some of Track Time Photo's coverage

Last edited by SHG_EasyE; 09-18-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the mounting point you use for your videos, documents whats going on well. I took note to when you would start turning in relation to when the car makes the turn a lot different from my car but helpful non-the-less in my quest for racing knowledge. Did you keep the custom splash guards you made in the first few pages that covered the opening to the back of the bay?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Loganej8
I like the mounting point you use for your videos, documents whats going on well. I took note to when you would start turning in relation to when the car makes the turn a lot different from my car but helpful non-the-less in my quest for racing knowledge. Did you keep the custom splash guards you made in the first few pages that covered the opening to the back of the bay?
I did a bunch of experimenting with camera position and that's def the best spot. I suction cup mount to the moon roof and have this crazy arm of extensions that hangs it down about eye level between the seats. I use R4 and spot metering.

How is my steering compared to yours? If you're on a civic rack mine is probably a bit quicker to respond. And yup I still have the fender well covers
Old 09-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
I did a bunch of experimenting with camera position and that's def the best spot. I suction cup mount to the moon roof and have this crazy arm of extensions that hangs it down about eye level between the seats. I use R4 and spot metering.

How is my steering compared to yours? If you're on a civic rack mine is probably a bit quicker to respond. And yup I still have the fender well covers
Im assuming the camera is a gopro? As for the the steering rack; driver input instantly starts body roll and a half second(45mph) later the car turns. Im on stock springs so Im hoping that the slop from the roll will decrease with part replacement and tuning. When you got the EP before you modified the suspension did you experience this lag time?

the reason I asked about the covers is that I am in the process of designing a set for my car. I was thinking of a (dap and dye?) the holes and use bolt with a washer to secure it instead of the rivets that you had mentioned. the shape/idea is inspired from your car.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Loganej8
Im assuming the camera is a gopro? As for the the steering rack; driver input instantly starts body roll and a half second(45mph) later the car turns. Im on stock springs so Im hoping that the slop from the roll will decrease with part replacement and tuning. When you got the EP before you modified the suspension did you experience this lag time?

the reason I asked about the covers is that I am in the process of designing a set for my car. I was thinking of a (dap and dye?) the holes and use bolt with a washer to secure it instead of the rivets that you had mentioned. the shape/idea is inspired from your car.
Yeah it probably the time delay for the car to take a set on the springs. Softer sidewall tires can also make for a slight delay on driver input. I can't say what I noticed a huge difference in input response between the soft rates I started with back in 2010 and the current setup but I'm sure it accounts for some part of it. I'm also using the 05-06 Type S haydraulic power steering system which shares the same ratio as the DC5R.

As far as the covers I don't think that the sheet metal is thick enough to use a tap and die to thread the holes for a machine screw. If you wanted something other than a rivet that would be easily removable I think you would need to use a self tapping sheet metal screw.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to move to the northeast so I can join in on the fun.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love this thread
Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So! since there has been little activity in here lately I figured Id spice things up with my most recent purchase.... Something Ive been wanting and searching for for years now. Ever since I saw he Jun Hyper Lemon WRX in Super Street back in 08 Ive craved a set of RG1's. As soon as I bought the EP3 I started keeping an eye out for the perfect set. A staggered set is extremely hard to come by, especially in the specs I wanted.

Thats why when I came across this set via a "FS: ADVAN RG" google search on a random forum in the UK I had to have them. The specs are 17x8.5 +37 and 17x7.5 +30. two wheels have a lile curb rash that Ill touch up but one needs to be completely refinished. Ill have a local wheel repair company who is known for outstanding work do it for me.

Im in love!!

Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome wheels, does that mean you're sending me the tarmacs?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any reason for having the lower offset in the rear? Anyways, can't wait to see how it looks on the car!

Quick Reply: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...