Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Very nice EP3
Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In your DC5 race car build....could you show what tools you used to make the fish mouth cuts in the cage (i.e. how you measured and marked your lines and what you used to make the cuts)? I'm planning to put a 4 point + harness bar in my sedan and could use some help with gathering tools.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll need a tube notching tool, something kinda like this....

http://www.eastwood.com/pipe-notcher...nd-tubing.html

As far as technique a lot of trial and error I would imagen. Perhaps he can chime in but I would imagen it's kind of like asking an artist how he paints his paintings..."I just do it"
Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the link.

There is plenty of math in cage building...sure, skill is acquired but technique is taught. Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlackNDecker
Thanks for the link.

There is plenty of math in cage building...sure, skill is acquired but technique is taught. Thanks again!
Yes your right there is plenty of math in measuring everything up, but as far as where to start stop bends and measuring angles etc, every bender will be different have have different amounts of play and spring back etc. When He gets back from Canadia I'm sure he will chime in.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackNDecker
In your DC5 race car build....could you show what tools you used to make the fish mouth cuts in the cage (i.e. how you measured and marked your lines and what you used to make the cuts)? I'm planning to put a 4 point + harness bar in my sedan and could use some help with gathering tools.
Well the four point should be pretty easy, since all the bends are on the same plane. Mike pretty much covered it with the notching. Just the one tool will get you pretty much any cut you need, except for some very acute cuts might need to be made by hand depending how far your jig will go.

The only cuts you will be making are on straight tubes, again very straight forward. It should be intuitive once you have the main hoop mocked up and can visialuize/measure your down tube landing points.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A peek at how shes spending the winter Ive taken the brake rotors off as well to prevent them from rusting ... Ill have some new stuff to post this weekend

Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice shot!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_Felliphe
Nice shot!
x2

looking good
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Always loved the RPF1s, curious to see what you decided to replace them with
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Well dayum I hope it's not going to spend the winter outside there on jackstands. You need some kind of something that you can roll the car around with, but without the wheels/brakes on the car.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my first post in years because this thread deserves my upvote.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skipunk4
Always loved the RPF1s, curious to see what you decided to replace them with
Some will like it, most will hate it

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Well dayum I hope it's not going to spend the winter outside there on jackstands. You need some kind of something that you can roll the car around with, but without the wheels/brakes on the car.
Yeah all winter! Garage spot is taken by the race car which is also on jack stands

I just stripped out all the rear suspension on sunday for some work, Ill get going on that later this week Its in a fine spot now no need to move it till spring

Originally Posted by YumVTEC
my first post in years because this thread deserves my upvote.
Thanks man, appreciate it
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn just went through all the pages! Love your attention to detail and all the custom fab work. Deffinitely perks of working in a shop. Always have loved the way your car looked! Always been one of my favorite EP3s. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your build is ridiculous man. I've been on the edge of getting rid of my ep so many times. I completely parted it out many years ago, but after reading through your thread so many times, and deciding I need to buy a house and not an S2000, I've decided to start working on mine again. I won't be tracking it like I would like to do (maybe just a few times a year), but would love to be able to enjoy it in the twisty mountain roads near the house at least. Your car is one of my top 3 favorite ep's though.
To just be able to enjoy my occasional spirited weekend drives, do you think BC N+, BC rear camber kit, BC RCA's would be enough? possible DC5r rear sway and some wider (225) tires would feel fine, or would you suggest anything else. Again, extremely limited time at the track, and brakes will be upgraded as well.
Thanks for any input you may have, and I'll keep my eyes on this thread, and wait for the next jaw dropping update.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 AM
KC-
Honda-Tech Member

I would say those parts sound good man. I have a TSX so I'm not a 100% sure what the EP3s benefit from, but I've done a lot of suspension upgrades to it and I just run -1.5 camber all around with .75" gap of fender clearance. I think the best upgrade were the tires. Coilovers and rsb's will neutralize the handling but definitely get your hands on those ball joints.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OpieDopie
Damn just went through all the pages! Love your attention to detail and all the custom fab work. Deffinitely perks of working in a shop. Always have loved the way your car looked! Always been one of my favorite EP3s. Keep up the great work!
Thanks alot man! Yeah, I wouldnt trade my job and the last few years for anything. Ive learned so much and without having this job I would have never had the opportunity

Originally Posted by jdmd
Your build is ridiculous man. I've been on the edge of getting rid of my ep so many times. I completely parted it out many years ago, but after reading through your thread so many times, and deciding I need to buy a house and not an S2000, I've decided to start working on mine again. I won't be tracking it like I would like to do (maybe just a few times a year), but would love to be able to enjoy it in the twisty mountain roads near the house at least. Your car is one of my top 3 favorite ep's though.
To just be able to enjoy my occasional spirited weekend drives, do you think BC N+, BC rear camber kit, BC RCA's would be enough? possible DC5r rear sway and some wider (225) tires would feel fine, or would you suggest anything else. Again, extremely limited time at the track, and brakes will be upgraded as well.
Thanks for any input you may have, and I'll keep my eyes on this thread, and wait for the next jaw dropping update.
Awesome man, glad I could have an effect on your decision to keep your ep3! Your suspension plans sound good, I would definitely do the rear sway, it will round out the setup nicely. I also think that some sticky 225's will be plenty for street and occasional performance driving. Good luck with your build up man
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
Thanks alot man! Yeah, I wouldnt trade my job and the last few years for anything. Ive learned so much and without having this job I would have never had the opportunity

Awesome man, glad I could have an effect on your decision to keep your ep3! Your suspension plans sound good, I would definitely do the rear sway, it will round out the setup nicely. I also think that some sticky 225's will be plenty for street and occasional performance driving. Good luck with your build up man
Thanks man. I had a bunch of stuff done to it about 8 years ago, but thought I was done with it all, and let some friends rip my car apart for a little bit of cash. I just never ended up getting rid of the car itself. Had Spoon springs (on stock struts), Spoon front and rear strut bars (removed AC in order to fit the front one), Spoon front and rear tie bars, Carbing 6 point sub frame brace when they came out with it, J's C-pillar bar, Cusco rear sway bar, 16" SW388's with some 225 Yokohama AVS ES100's. Spoon cat back, steering wheel, shift ****(s), radiator hoses, and a Koyo DC5 race radiator. It was a lot of fun, unfortunately I wish I would have kept building on it. Missing a lot of great parts now. Didn't know enough about the EP suspension, just figured, the more bars, the better it will handle, lol.
I also look to your DC5 build, because I've had my eyes on one of those for quite some time. Wouldn't be surprised if I end up buying up a bunch of suspension stuff only to end up putting them on a DC5, never know what kind of deals will pop up.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmd
Thanks man. I had a bunch of stuff done to it about 8 years ago, but thought I was done with it all, and let some friends rip my car apart for a little bit of cash. I just never ended up getting rid of the car itself. Had Spoon springs (on stock struts), Spoon front and rear strut bars (removed AC in order to fit the front one), Spoon front and rear tie bars, Carbing 6 point sub frame brace when they came out with it, J's C-pillar bar, Cusco rear sway bar, 16" SW388's with some 225 Yokohama AVS ES100's. Spoon cat back, steering wheel, shift ****(s), radiator hoses, and a Koyo DC5 race radiator. It was a lot of fun, unfortunately I wish I would have kept building on it. Missing a lot of great parts now. Didn't know enough about the EP suspension, just figured, the more bars, the better it will handle, lol.
I also look to your DC5 build, because I've had my eyes on one of those for quite some time. Wouldn't be surprised if I end up buying up a bunch of suspension stuff only to end up putting them on a DC5, never know what kind of deals will pop up.
Nice man, yeah might aswell scoop any nice parts you come across since you could always swap everything over to a DC5 in the future if you decide to change it up

So as I had promised I started getting things together for the engine, and I also have my mainshaft thrust tool and shims on the way for the gearbox build. Things are coming along, slowly, but quite nicely

Here is the intake setup for the new A2, almost complete with a few parts I picked up recently. Pictured is the Minty RBC with new Karcepts adapter plate, RDX 410cc injectors (thanks SHG_Mike!), AEM fuel rail, and fuel line fittings.

Something unique you may notice is the Jiffy-Tite dry break fuel line quick disconnect. Ever since using these on our Grand-Am ST car at work Ive wanted to implement them on my own car...

Here it all is along with an SHG dipstick tensioner

I also picked up these Z1 cams thanks to the Token BG DRE

Last but not least we just sent out a new batch of valve covers for powdercoat

Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to see progress is being made on the A2 swap!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice easy! Never a disappointment in here! What was Mike doing with some RDX projectors?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_Felliphe
Very nice easy! Never a disappointment in here! What was Mike doing with some RDX projectors?
Dreaming I guess
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
Dreaming I guess
Ive had them for over a year and a half. I bought them the week after the finishing touches on the tune when I was BUGGIN that the duty cycle was 96% at 7800-8000. Come to find out Honda is that comfortable with their maps and their injectors and thats just how they do. No need for waste. I held on to them for future mods which would require them(tsx cams, RRC manifold 240whp ) Ive put a whole lot of thought into it and my plans have changed. The end of the year will be exciting

Quick Reply: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...