Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
lexluther
Honda-Tech Member
1998 Honda Civic

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Surging and jerking while accelerating!

Did HG job, compression is even across the board, 180 PSI, timing is on, dizzy is 16 degrees BTDC, i had to replace the crank sensor yesterday, because the alt belt cut into the harness and shorted a couple wires... giving me a P1337 code.. anyway that is fixed, but when i accelerate, it isnt smooth, it kinda jerks, and surges... no codes.... no fun at all, this car just seems to be falling apart..!!! its a D16Y7.

Any ideas?
Matthew 6:33 - "But seek ye first the kingdom of God,and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."
lexluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
vlc92189
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to vlc92189
Default Re: Surging and jerking while accelerating!

i know this sounds really weird, but this is what happens to me. the screw where you can turn your idle up and down is what makes my car jerk and surge. if its too open meaning the screw is turned to the left too muchh then my car surges and sometimes jerks. turn the screw to the right some, hope this helps.
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
lexluther
Honda-Tech Member
1998 Honda Civic

hey thanks for the reply! I dont think i know the screw your talking about, i thought the only screw that would effect idle was on the throttle body... and all it does is kinda opens the throttle a little to make the idle go up some. whatever the problem is, it isnt tripping a code, its not compression or timing... could that crank sensor have damaged the Ignition module..?
Matthew 6:33 - "But seek ye first the kingdom of God,and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
lexluther
Honda-Tech Member
1998 Honda Civic

Hello?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
vlc92189
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to vlc92189

yes its on the throttle body, and i know it sounds weird. thats just the problem with mine, when it is too open the car surges, and sometimes since my screw becomes loose, the car surges and jerks when it is at a certain point. this may not be your problem, im just letting you kno
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
shoklid
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

take spark plug wires off and check for oil. maybe bad valve cover rings. will make car run like poop if no correct spark
shoklid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
lexluther
Honda-Tech Member
1998 Honda Civic

No oil, completely dry....thanks for the input tho.... whatever it is, is affecting my gas mileage, i went from 40 to 31!!!.... i am leaning toward the spark module, only because the crank sensor was basically shorted out when the alt belt cut into it, that could have caused damage upstream.. its not a miss, it does have a minor engine jerk at idle, very minor... and a surge or jerk when accelerating... the only engine code i am getting, is cat efficiencey low, due to not cat!!... i have gotten this code since day one.... its not the problem, ran perfectly well that way for a year now.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
warlock3055
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

hello, i have the same problem. did you figure it out what was causing this issue? please let me know. thanks
warlock3055 is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
01, accelerating, accord, acura, car, d16y7, fit, honda, idle, jerking, jumps, pilot, surge, surges, surging