Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 accord v6 bmxa transmission solenoid help... PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 accord v6 bmxa transmission solenoid help... PLZ

I've got a 2000 Honda Accord V6 EX Sedan with just about a quarter million miles. She has ran great and just recently had problems with the transmission shifting hard 2nd to 3rd on rare occasions. When it would happen if the check engine light and it was for the Dual linear solenoid on the transmission. I forget the exact code off hand.

This solenoid is 2 separate solenoids on one mounting plate. (photo below)

thankfully the solenoid was not that hard to get to, basically directly underneath the battery tray. Come to find out the battery tray was sagging sitting on one of the solenoids connectors and had broke it off about 99%. Soon as I touched the solenoid the connector completely broke. I replaced the solenoid with a brand new one.

immediately after installing the new solenoid the transmission became even worse. Basically it would not engage the first gear at all, seemed to be stuck in 3rd or 4th Maybe, and tripped the check engine light for a shift solenoid. A different code then the first one.

so I located that solenoid and checked if the ohms were within Factory spec and that it engaged with 12 volts. Which it did. And at that point I decided to check all the solenoids and all of them tested fine. So my only option was to reinstall the solenoid I had taken out. But since the connector had completely broken off, the car is drivable but only has 2nd and 3rd gear and has to be shifted manually. And now the "D" flashes by the speedometer.

does anybody have any ideas about what might be wrong? The only thing I can think of is that the Dual linear solenoid I had purchased is somehow not a exact replacement or somehow defective. Ohms are within factory specs and the solenoid engages with 12 volt...

the old girl has so many miles on her and the engines running so well still that I would hate to drive it like this until it dies. If anyone came across is problem or has an idea what is causing this issue with the new solenoid please let me know

Thx u.

Ps. I know it's a long post but here's a little more info if you're interested. After installing the new solenoid and making the transmission worse I decided to install the old one like mentioned above and plugged the unused connector from the broken solenoid into the new solenoid with it not attached to the engine just to see if it would trick computer somehow and make it shift by itself. Well it did! But every gear shift so hard that I couldn't leave it that way....

THX again

​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-28-2020, 02:05 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2000 accord v6 bmxa transmission solenoid help... PLZ

Which one did you purchase? I got (I think) the absolute cheapest one on Amazon and my car is doing something very similar to yours.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:15 PM
Trial User

Also, the prices for these parts on Amazon are RIDICULOUSLY cheap compared to RockAuto. Amazon is somewhere around $60-$80, RockAuto is $250. Makes you wonder if these paying the extra is worth it.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Junkyard ,n buy the warranty you can swap them out to verify the problem, if that's not the issue try doing a transmission flush and clean the trans. filter with brake cleaner
Old 02-03-2020, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanPerryman
Which one did you purchase? I got (I think) the absolute cheapest one on Amazon and my car is doing something very similar to yours.
same one probably. i think it was $55

here the one i purchased
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6KPHFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6KPHFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally Posted by dimfaux
Junkyard ,n buy the warranty you can swap them out to verify the problem, if that's not the issue try doing a transmission flush and clean the trans. filter with brake cleaner
ive always heard and read not to ever flush a trans with alot of miles on it unless its the last resort
Old 01-26-2024, 01:16 AM
Trial User

Hi I currently have the same exact issue you’re going through. I got mine off EBay for 50 bucks. I even used a power probe to see if they both worked and they both do. New one caused me even more trouble. Matter a fact the power probe may have unstuck something on the old solenoid that it made it a tiny bit better than before I did anything, yet I want to fix these issues completely. By any chance anyone has fix it after all these years lol! Currently debating to just get one off RockAuto.