Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Welding/Fabrication
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
vectorsolid
Honda-Tech Member
1993 Honda Civic

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Finger remote control TIG question.

I'm tired of finding crazy ways to push the pedal with stuff like my elbow or hip... I find I'm less and less interested in doing TIG things I can't do sitting at a table. This is limiting my options.

I want to try a finger tip control. Don't have a local dealer, don't know anybody else with one (small town).

I understand it's likely a personal preference but is there a majority opinion on either
North-South, or side to side?

Thanks,
-Vector.
vectorsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
jzz30
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

i have the N to S.the finger tip control is excelent for out of position welding. the only thing is that i find is that my hand shakes when turning the torch on or off since you have to move the wheel alot. fine tuning of the current doenst disturb my welding much since i dont have to reposition my finger on the wheel.(just have to move up or down)
jzz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Soon_2b_evil
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Soon_2b_evil
Default Re: Finger remote control TIG question. (vectorsolid)

actually at work we use just a reg push button type deal. we used the switchs for a little bit, but it got bad reviews so we went back to push button ones. only downside to these is whatever voltage you have it one it goes straight there so you have to play with the button.

Soon_2b_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
UncleMath
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Finger remote control TIG question.

at work, we use on/off switches on our TIGs since we do a lot of welding in different uncomfortable positions. sometime we have to be on our knees,our back, and even in a scaffold sometime, so you can't always use your foot switch..in fact.. you can.. but very difficult

I use that for 4 years now, I like that, but you have to adjust your heat a lot when changing the thickness of your material.. something you don't really have to do with a foot switch, if properly adjusted.

I have to say that I still prefer the footswitch for a better control, but sometimes, you just don't have the choice!

EDIT: the switch i'm talking about, is made by Weldcraft

Modified by UncleMath at 4:29 PM 7/31/2008
UncleMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Jasper_db1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Jasper_db1
Default Re: Finger remote control TIG question. (vectorsolid)

I have a north-south control on my Dynasty. What welder are you using?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
vectorsolid
Honda-Tech Member
1993 Honda Civic

Default Re: Finger remote control TIG question. (Jasper_db1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper_db1
I have a north-south control on my Dynasty. What welder are you using?
Dynasty 350
vectorsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
dave@passenger
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Scratch start/lift arc with our maxstars and dynastys for mobile work/position welds. Amperage control if for girls. Click the image to open in full size.
dave@passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
shortyz21
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (dave@passenger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave@passenger
Scratch start/lift arc with our maxstars and dynastys for mobile work/position welds. Amperage control if for girls. Click the image to open in full size.
^^^^^^ scratch start rules Click the image to open in full size.

sup dave!
91 rex LS boosted SC34 12psi
KW V1 coilovers
shortyz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
KFMRC
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (shortyz21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyz21

^^^^^^ scratch start rules Click the image to open in full size.

sup dave!
You are kidding I hope or you really bumped your head

I haven't messed with a dynasty so I am not sure about them but I have a squarewave tig 275 lincoln and it has by far the best feature for out of position tig I have ever used. They call it a 4 step. Push button control step 1 push button and acr starts but just enough so you can position yourself. step 2 release button and act ramps up to your preset amperage. step 3 push button and arc will ramp back down to almost nothing ( CRATER CONTROL ) step 4 release the button and the arc shuts off. great feature when your not using the foot control. Much better then any of my millers for that purpose.

Once you get used to it you can easily preset the current needed to weld a cage for the members that are all the same thickness.

Life is not about how many breaths you take, but about the moments that take your breath away.
KFMRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
dave@passenger
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (KFMRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMRC

You are kidding I hope or you really bumped your head

I haven't messed with a dynasty so I am not sure about them but I have a squarewave tig 275 lincoln and it has by far the best feature for out of position tig I have ever used. They call it a 4 step. Push button control step 1 push button and acr starts but just enough so you can position yourself. step 2 release button and act ramps up to your preset amperage. step 3 push button and arc will ramp back down to almost nothing ( CRATER CONTROL ) step 4 release the button and the arc shuts off. great feature when your not using the foot control. Much better then any of my millers for that purpose.

Once you get used to it you can easily preset the current needed to weld a cage for the members that are all the same thickness.
Scratch start really isn't that bad, you just gotta learn how to use it, I like the lift arc on the dynastys better for sure. The ramp down control on the lincolns is nice, I wish the dynastys did something similar, but the arc on the lincoln machines sucks so bad its not worth using them IMO. Once you get the hang of trailing of without amperage control its not so bad, you can even do it without getting arc scarring all over the material.
dave@passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
TigWiz
Garage is empty, add now

I've used just about all the hand amp controls and a North South adjustment is by far the best as it is easy to stabalize. East West movement is less stable as the torch tends to torque or rotate.

4 step on my precision tig 275 is also a very nice feature, especialy with the hand controls
TigWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
KFMRC
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I have done scratch start doing repairs at the race track and also doing some helicopter frame stuff running a lincoln gas powered machine. You can do it but if you working with really think materials ( most of the choppers tubes where from 028 035 049 )
your better off not getting the tungsten contaminated at all. I scratch start on cars I do simple repairs to that have the MSD and or efi boxes in them to eliminate the possibilty of the boxs getting wacked. Ground right next to where your welding and turn the hi freq off and your good to go. Have never had an issue.

Life is not about how many breaths you take, but about the moments that take your breath away.
KFMRC is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
amperage, button, control, controls, finger, fingertip, foot, hand, lincoln, remote, squarewave, tig, tip, torch, welder